Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Fanmade] The Last Night Lord: A Horus Heresy Visual Novel

fanmade video game night lords horus heresy space marines warhammer 40k warhammer 30k fan fiction konrad curze chaos space marines

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Son of Carnelian

Son of Carnelian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,338 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels and Black Legion

med_gallery_62495_6731_350879.jpg

+++

Hello everyone! My name is Samuel and for the past three years, I've been writing my own fan-made Horus Heresy visual novel called The Last Night Lord. For those unfamiliar with the term, a visual novel is a sort of simple video game, where the only gameplay comes from making choices that change the narrative. I collaborated with a fantastic artist who goes by the name of Mothman and you can find him on Twitter and Tumblr.

But what is The Last Night Lord about? At its heart, it's a story about a few individuals inside the Night Lords who simply cannot reconcile the ideals of the Great Crusade with the arrival on Konrad Curze to their legion. The choices you make will steer these individual towards either salvation or damnation. Will you stand against the coming darkness and the death of the Emperor's dream? Or will you join the Night Lords in the shadows of the Imperium and make yourself at home amongst the monsters? The game is available at these links:

Mac Download: https://bit.ly/2w7V6I1

PC/Linux Download: https://bit.ly/2P0k0AA

Alt. PC Download (86): https://bit.ly/2w6Azna

Please let me know what you think of the game! I sincerely welcome all comments and criticisms you may have. You can drop me a line here on the B&C, comment in this thread, at my Tumblr, my Twitter, or my email samuel.brodyboyd at gmail dot com. Standard copyright stuff: I own none of Games Workshop's IP. I will accept absolutely no financial compensation for this work. I would instead urge you to donate to the Bolter and Chainsword's ongoing fundraising drive if you feel so inclined.

Ave dominus nox, brothers.

Edited by Son of Carnelian, 23 August 2018 - 01:49 PM.

• MrBear, Reyner, Reldn and 23 others like this

Vel'Cona

Vel'Cona

++ DUCTOR EXSANGUIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,800 posts
  • Faction: WAAAGH!!!

Just started this and I'm already hooked.  I think you've got something special here, brother.

• Son of Carnelian likes this

Seems like these models will never end!

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_02.jpgETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpggallery_48988_10069_10495.pngETL_Medal_02.gifETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_01.gif

grailkeeper

grailkeeper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 392 posts
  • Faction: Vylka Fenrika

I have opened up the PC link but couldn't get it to work.What should I do once I opne it?

Isinfier

Isinfier

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,040 posts

It's not a visual novel if I can't seduce other characters.

• Papewaio, Vesper, Commander Dawnstar and 2 others like this

mkbKIlr.png

Ashenwyte

Ashenwyte

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 193 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords.

Stunning. Great work. 

“Faithful servant yet master’s bane, Lightfoot’s foal, swift Snowmane!”

Maybe you could model TWC-sized "were-templars" who's inner Templar took over in the fury of battle transforming them into a giant half man - half templar?

My Sons of Horus with friends!

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,605 posts
Can't play right now but that art work above is awesome.very excited to play!

Reyner

Reyner

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,711 posts
  • Faction: IV Legion, XIII Legion

Awesome, I'll give this a go! 

gallery_60566_6038_242.gifgallery_26119_9644_9137.pnggallery_60566_6038_826.gif
"I don't need my left arm to run." - Sergeant Arkad VII Legion bad-ass.

Son of Carnelian

Son of Carnelian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,338 posts
Thank you everyone for your kind words. This project has been very hard to keep secret, but I'm excited to see what you all think.

I have opened up the PC link but couldn't get it to work.What should I do once I opne it?

Hmm... There should be an icon that says "The Last Night Lord" that you can click on. Have you unzipped the file? I'll try on my computer at work.

Edit: seems okay here. Anyone else playing on PC having this difficulty? I will do my best to continue troubleshooting if there are issues.

Edited by Son of Carnelian, 23 August 2018 - 12:39 PM.

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,594 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal

Just imagine a Night Lord trying to seduce anything... :D

• Ashenwyte, Tipsy Techpriest and mooftak like this

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg

BlueBelly1863

BlueBelly1863

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 434 posts
  • Faction: Salamanders (30k), Tyranids

SO pumped to check this out!! So proud of you brother! 

Supe robot gangster #1

Supe robot gangster #1

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 663 posts
  • Faction: All the legions!

I caught you a delicious flayed human skin
  • reckoning, sfPanzer and mooftak like this

Son of Carnelian

Son of Carnelian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,338 posts

I caught you a delicious flayed human skin

Ha! There is indeed no seduction in the game. Some of the earlier drafts included romancing the main Solar Auxilia but I just realized it just wasn't important to the story I was telling.

Anyway, I don't know if anyone here lives in Columbus Ohio and/or is attending Matsuricon this weekend, but I've been invited to host a talk about this game there. My talk is called "An Introduction to Visual Novels" and is happening noon this Saturday at the Columbus Convention Center. Maybe I'll get to see a Fraeter or two there!

Isinfier

Isinfier

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,040 posts

Don't worry; we'll be arguing over who the best waifu is soon enough.

Just you wait until the saucy artwork starts flooding in. ;)

mkbKIlr.png

MrBear

MrBear

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 585 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords, Sons of Horus

Really liked it, and I've gone through the whole story in one sitting. Will read it again with other choices to see how it changes.

Son of Carnelian

Son of Carnelian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,338 posts

Really liked it, and I've gone through the whole story in one sitting. Will read it again with other choices to see how it changes.

I'm honored sir! I will admit, the most important of all the decisions come during the third act. The other choices provide alternative views and side stories, but do not change the endings. Just thought I should be upfront about that. There are 4 possible endings if I remember correctly. Tell me which ones you get!
  • sfPanzer likes this

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 405 posts
This sounds brilliant. I'll play tomorrow.

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13,889 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
I am very hyped to play this. Will hopefully get a chance to do so tomorrow. I'm a big fan of visual novels!

-~Ishagu~-

Naryn

Naryn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 292 posts
  • Faction: Mantis Warriors
Played through the whole thing in one sitting. Really excellent stuff, every character felt well-realized and was even likeable. The quality holds up well in comparison to other VNs I’ve played, as well. I had to hop around a little bit to try to find all the endings. I got the “good” ending naturally, which felt right, but I was quite taken with both “okay” endings—the ones involving the escape pod—as well. The bad end broke my heart. Poor Kánon! He’s almost got me inspired to make a small company of Terran Night Lords.

malika666

malika666

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,648 posts

I'm having a hard time finding and downloading the thing for the Mac version...

Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Son of Carnelian

Son of Carnelian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,338 posts

Played through the whole thing in one sitting. Really excellent stuff, every character felt well-realized and was even likeable. The quality holds up well in comparison to other VNs I’ve played, as well. I had to hop around a little bit to try to find all the endings. I got the “good” ending naturally, which felt right, but I was quite taken with both “okay” endings—the ones involving the escape pod—as well. The bad end broke my heart. Poor Kánon! He’s almost got me inspired to make a small company of Terran Night Lords.

Thank you so much! It means the world to me that you enjoyed it so much. I'm pretty pleased with all of the endings, since they all feel natural and right depending on your choices as Emery. Interestingly, over the three years I made the game, the endings never really changed all that much. A few details got tweaked, but I always knew the range of outcomes I wanted for players. 

Honestly, seeing anyone model anything inspired by The Last Night Lord would be wild! Please let me know if you do decide to do something along those lines. 

I'm having a hard time finding and downloading the thing for the Mac version...

When you click the link above, you should be taken to a Dropbox site where you can click "download" in the upper right hand corner. That will download a .zip file to your drive. Once that's open, the game should run without needing any sort of installation!  

• malika666 likes this

malika666

malika666

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,648 posts

Thanks! The download button didn't work yesterday.

Really awesome job you did here!

Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Chiwie

Chiwie

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 57 posts
  • Faction: Swords Of Davion

Played though it, came back to this thread and sent $5 B&C's way. Excellent endings and I liked your take on the night lords. 

Heliomanes

Heliomanes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 524 posts

Fantastic work. I hope you will want to create more in the future.

Son of Carnelian

Son of Carnelian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,338 posts

Played though it, came back to this thread and sent $5 B&C's way. Excellent endings and I liked your take on the night lords. 

Thank you so much! Glad I could help raise money for the B&C. The game would not exist without the passion of the hobbyists I see here and the inspiration I get from the various discussions we have. Hyaenidae was and still is probably my biggest inspiration on the board and this entire thread helped solidify my ideas to a massive degree. I owe a huge thank-you to everyone in that thread.

Fantastic work. I hope you will want to create more in the future.

Absolutely! I think I'll be taking at least a short break though before the next project. I can't describe how many major events in my life happened while I made this game. I'm kicking around some ideas of what I might want to do next, but I don't think it would take the shape of a visual novel at them moment. But who knows?  

LilShah

LilShah

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 31 posts

I just wen through two of the endings and all I can say is... bravo. Absolutely spectacular piece of work you've made here. It's a short and concise story set in the backdrop of one of the greatest settings in GW's arsenal.

Also Dorn hath a moustache. I rate it 12/10.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fanmade, video game, night lords, horus heresy, space marines, warhammer 40k, warhammer 30k, fan fiction, konrad curze, chaos space marines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users