Do any Imperial/Astartes use fortifications?

necroscope

Just curious.  Are any of them even casually competitive?  I never see anyone talking about them or using them around my area.  I made a bastion type building with a 3D printer, more for just cool terrain than anything else but I wondered if there were any good uses for them beyond narrative games.  

Fortifications are usually more of interest for gunline type of armies. Something Marines don't do that well and Astra Militarum can simply take more cheap tanks and bodies for those points which is better as well.

Fortifications are more something for games with a narrative focus imo but there they're awesome and make for great games!

We used it in Kill Team for an attack/defend mission and it was fun and looks great on the board.  I just sort of have this urge to work it into 40k (BA) army but I figured it probably wasn't very good.  I usually end up having to fight competitive people so I guess it will probably be consigned to just a cool piece of terrain on the board and narrative stuff.  

Just curious.  Are any of them even casually competitive?  I never see anyone talking about them or using them around my area.  I made a bastion type building with a 3D printer, more for just cool terrain than anything else but I wondered if there were any good uses for them beyond narrative games.  

They don't seem to be particularly common in 8th (likely for a number of reasons, like: auras not working when inside of things, not being allowed to put multiple units inside of them regardless of how you can embark vehicles with multiple units, the lack of improved cover bonuses for terrain that gives cover and of course they don't do anything to help give CP).

That said, they still look cool and I keep mulling over putting one in my army, even if they're not as strong as they were in previous editions.

“Fixed fortifications are monuments to man’s stupidity. If mountain ranges and oceans can be overcome, anything made by man can be overcome.” - George Patton

I’d rather spend the points on another squad of guns or a vehicle that can go cap objectives than on a fortification. They do look and feel cool, but the points value to them is dumb.

Archived