1500pts Custodes... What to include?!

Charlo

• 1 month later...

ALRIGHT GUYS!

Beta units have opened this up WIDE!

Currently I'm thinking the below, 1499 total.

Reasons for choosing these is mostly that I have them all painted, bar the Jetbike Captain that just needs finishing off ;)

Obviously is a battalion, pure Golden Bois.

Shield Captain on Jetbike

- Hurricane Bolters, Auric Aquilas

- Warlord: Superior Creation

Shield Captain (on foot)

- Guardian Spear, Eagle Eye

Vexillus Preator

- Vexilla Magnifica (-1 to hit)

Custodian Guard

- 3 Spears, 2 Sword & Shield

Custodian Guard

- 2 Spears, 1 Sword & Shield

Custodian Guard

- 2 Spears, 1 Sword & Shield

Saggitarum Guard

- 4 Adrastus Bolt Calivers, 4 Miseriachrodia

Telemon Heavy Dreadnought

- Telemon Caestus w/ Plasma Projector, Arachnus Storm Cannon, Spiculus Bolt Launcher

What would you arm the Praetor with?

Depending on the meta, I'd honestly drop any one Guardian to upgrade the Captain and Praetor to their respective Allarus variants. I've found that it gives them a comfortable amount of resilience and the Ballistus is quite a nifty gimmick.

Sure, you'd lose some wounds, but as I said, in the right meta, it can really help to keep those guys alive for one more round.

What would you arm the Praetor with?

Depending on the meta, I'd honestly drop any one Guardian to upgrade the Captain and Praetor to their respective Allarus variants. I've found that it gives them a comfortable amount of resilience and the Ballistus is quite a nifty gimmick.

Sure, you'd lose some wounds, but as I said, in the right meta, it can really help to keep those guys alive for one more round.

The models I have are:

• Vexilla with Axe
  • Allarus Vexilla (no weapon as per rules, could give Miseriachrodia)
  • Shield Captain with Spear
  • Shield Captain with Axe
  • Allarus Shield Captain with Spear and Miseriachrodia

Basically it's a choice of the above, but removing the daggers on the Saggitarum to Accomodate. I'm loathed to remove a Guardian from the larger squad, as they are the main combat threat in the force and i'd like to keep them as they are to be a workhorse unit.

ACTUALLY... I may well try and find points for an Assassin too... Any suggestions? :P

Looks good to me... an axe is a better choice for the foot-captain.

Sadly spear is what I have modeled on the guy! Plus then i'd be over in points aha!

Drop one of the power daggers in the Sag squad.

I pretty much always go Culexus... mind bullets can be a real problem otherwise .

Not sold on sagittarum aome adrastus spears would be better imo

Sadly I don't own the models and don't really want any! Plus I think I need the Bolter part of the Saggitarum!

Looks good to me... an axe is a better choice for the foot-captain.

Sadly spear is what I have modeled on the guy! Plus then i'd be over in points aha!

Drop one of the power daggers in the Sag squad.

I pretty much always go Culexus... mind bullets can be a real problem otherwise .

Yeah was thinking that, though I'd need to paint one... I own a Vindicare. I'd probably buy all four so I have the choice with the Stratagem.

• 1 month later...

So inspired by a Death Guard list I saw in that section, I decided to see if you could fit a double battalion of Custodes into 1500pts.

You can (...I think) and it looks like this:

Shield Captain - Axe

Shield Captain - Spear

Shield Captain - Sentinel Blade

Shield Captain - Sentinel Blade

4x 3 Custodian Guard - Spears

2x 3 Custodian Guard - 2 Spears, 1 Shield and Sentinel

1 Vexilla - Magnifica (-1 to hit)

That is 18 Guardians, 4 Shield Captains and a Vexilla for the debuff. The plan would be to just split off into multiple cells of units and go for objectives while hopefully smashing anything that came near. 13 CP for Strats means ample use of whatever was needed. No idea on a relic yet.

Maybe I'm being too ambitious and need to forgo the dream of a double battalion... Thoughts?

Not sold on sagittarum aome adrastus spears would be better imo

You don't take Sagittarum for their disintegrators, you take them for the move and shoot heavy bolters, giving you an ObSec unit to hold your back field. The adrathic shot is just an occasional bit of gravy when it becomes relevant (which isn't very often).

What are you going to do with all that CP?

Yeah, this :smile.: Having 13 CP is all well and great but with nothing but pretty much min guard units, you aren't getting much mileage out of them. I've been a proponent of at least one good-sized unit (5 plus models) since the Codex dropped.

Yeah that was my thought upon reflection.

I suppose clutch rerolls, Piercing Strike, Only in Death, Golden Light two of the squads, Indomitable Guradians could be very strong (fighting first on an objective), Shoulder the Mantle, Tanglefoot... There is quite a lot!

I can see it being useful to support the quite generic force...

Though I agree, Saggitarum are awesome, so maybe I should go down the 8CP route instead. I'm also not limited to a mono-faction anymore, so can bring some Ad Mech allies for CP too, but wonder how worth it is when I can just max out on Golden Men...

You can put a batallion of guard instead if you want more cp

Please, please, do not give him ideas. As it stands, his backlog won't even be completed by his grandkids and as he only paints what's needed the week before a deadline, I'd fear for Charlo's health with 52 models to paint in that time.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ is all I can say to that idea.

Please, please, do not give him ideas. As it stands, his backlog won't even be completed by his grandkids and as he only paints what's needed the week before a deadline, I'd fear for Charlo's health with 52 models to paint in that time.

Loyal 32, which would be VERY doable. My armie(s) are basically painted that I might use for the event, just some touch ups when I decide on a Faction!

Archived