Individualized/Personal Titan Markings?

Khornestar

Hey there, I’m sorta new to the lore of titans, so I’m wondering if there are any “rules” with their markings the way there are with, say, Astartes company markings and such.

As an example, which of these (if any) would identify an individual Titan, and which relate to the legio, class, or whatever other characteristics there are?

gSi6X8K.jpg

I've looked at Forgeworld art but it's hard to tell as usually most of these kind of symbols would be on banners. The reason they're shown on carapace here is that banner symbols would be hard to distinguish in Titanicus scale. In addition each Legios may have different rules regarding their heraldry.

From what I can guess in that image 7 and 6 are just the symbol of the Adeptus Titanicus. 18 is a symbol that I would presume to be associated with the Legios. I would guess that 17 corresponds to the individual Titan but is in a language that I think is unique to Fureans. The eye on 16 symbolises allegiance to Horus. I don't know about the axes, they didn't appear in the Extermination Fureans but single axes recur on reaver banners across Legios so it may be indicative of class.

Warhounds sometines have a Legio symbol on their central hull.

The crossed axes are just the warlord sign, while 6 and 7 are the collegia titanicus sigil. Outside of general stuff like that and the Eye of Horus/aquila, each legion is going to have pretty different heraldic rules and just from colour scheme differences between individual titans, we know there's a lot of room for customisation.

That said, the 40k legion transfer sheets did have downloadable PDFs very broadly showing what bits of heraldry refer to crews, what to the legion, what are kill markings, etc. Bizarrely though the Legio Fureans sheet is no longer for sale, the guideline PDF is still up here: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/transfer-keys/LEGIO%20FUREANS%20TRANSFER%20SHEET%20BREAKDOWN.pdf

In this context, 16-18 could be kill markings or could be crew heraldry. My gut instinct is that the tilting shields probably show the iconography of the war machine itself as well as the crew. Kill markings seem to be shown on banners, including weapon banners, so if it's on the titan (17 perhaps?) it's probably an extremely high status kill. It's in Incaladion's own script though, so hard to say what it could be.

Awesome, thank you both. Much food for thought. On one hand, it’s awesome to have individualized characteristics moreso than 10 space Marines looking more or less uniform. On the other, I want them to look cool and readily distinct, which will take a little planning, which will take a bit more time before I’m ready to play with them. Still, this is exciting! Haven’t been hyped for completing an (8 model) army at any point, really,

There's not a lot written specifically on markings and so forth. I'd suggest that they vary from Legio to Legio, so you can be as proscriptive or free as you like with your own Legio. If you're going for a ready-mix one, you might need to be prepared for future material clarifying or contradicting your decisions. 

On the other hand, Titans by their nature are symbols of the Machine God – and much more individual and free than a Space Marine, for example – so there will always be a 'get-out clause' if the heraldry of a particular legion is explored in more depth.

If you'd like some inspiration, the original suggestions from 1st edition follow.

General logo/banner placement:

http://pro.bols.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/at-1988-03.jpg

Specific to the War Gryphons:

Legio_Gryphonicus.jpg

Terribly sorry! I forgot to follow up on this - it's not in the Rulebook, but instead the August White Dwarf has a section on Titan markings, starting on page 102 in the US version.

Ah, okay. That I do not have. Not a big fan of White Dwarf. ;(

Archived