Cornelivs Maximvs Renegades - Bane of Genestealers

GreenScorpion

For a long time I have been wanting to create a unique renegade army composed of several different looking groups.
The opportunity presented itself with the GSC kits and the new necromunda models and after some financial savings here is the start of my WIP thread.

I will be putting some fluff in this thread as well. I need to take better pictures as well.

TL/DR - Renegade force with a mix of pirates, former miners and gangers hunt GSC and tyranids throughout the galaxy.

Origins

It all started with a small group of miners and their families, when the insurrection of a Genestealer Cult forced them to fight for their lives.

Cornelivs, the unofficial leader of a group of miners, rallied his companions and took them to the safety of a trade ship, while being guided by a strange voice.

An attack from a pirate ship allowed the miners to capture their own means of transportation and Cornelivs became the Captain of the pirate ship, leading both the refugees and the surviving pirates.

After securing an uninhabited planet as their colony, the followers of Cornelivs vowed revenge against the tyranids and the cultists that had dislodged them from their homes.

As they fought across the region, additional forces joined them, gang members, civilians, members of militias and survivors of PDF companies all increased the fighting capability of the initial miners, allowing them to strike at ever bigger targets.

With Septimus and many others at his side, Cornelivs fought across many systems, until he faced the source of the voice that saved him at the start, a voice with dangerous plans to which Cornelivs did not want to obey.

Captain Cornelivs Maximvs is a mutant originally from a mining world in the Imperium. For many decades he worked underground extracting ore for industrial production, never seeing the light of the stars. All this changed when a Genestealer Cult uprising in his planet forced him and his colleagues to take up arms and defend themselves as they tried to escape from the already overrun planet. A voice led him to a trade ship which rescued the few surviving miners and took them off-world. Cornelivs vowed revenge from genestealers and tyranids as a whole. While travelling through space the trade ship was attacked by some pirates but after a fierce Cornelivs and his warriors were able to subjugate the pirates and turn them into his followers. He then left the trade ship, thanking the trader for rescuing them and begane his life of piracy, leading the ship's crew to wherever the tyranids or genestealer cults appeared. As he fought on his forces grew in number with recruits from the worlds he assisted filling up his ranks. Gangers, former civilians, militias... joined him as his fierce tactics often lead them to victory.

kTZkz1s.jpg

Septimus, the Seventh Son of the Seventh Son. Originally from a desertic feral world, Septimus is a powerful psyker with a focuse on pyromancy. When his tribe expelled him and hunted him down after some tribesmen were consumed by his flames, another psyker took him in and trained him in the arts of a psyker. For a long time he taught him how to protect his mind from invasion and how to better control his natural pyromancy skills. One day his master simply vanished and a few days afterwards Cornelivs appeared searching for Septimus, once more guided by a voice in his mind. Septimus joined the forces of Cornelivs but the mystery remained as to who was guiding the captain.

AHW63jI.jpg

Since I built up my first squad of Escher as per the examples, I named them as per their character name on the instructions.

Jelena - The squad leader

ML3OLPJ.jpg

Kaiya

VEbYuUT.jpg

Reina

mCSt5yR.jpg

Tumala

1nBs9NR.jpg

Brae

PUIbcJ6.jpg

Marika

mBt5TFc.jpg

Nokomi

83B2WTW.jpg

Rhosinn

tkoSShL.jpg

Olina

jn5dG8g.jpg

Zarann

dhaXzi9.jpg

Sergeant Ariel - leader of the guardsmen based squad - survivors from the mining world who acquired some guardsmen equipment.

UaiA0pN.jpg

Katarina

FUnrU5H.jpg

Marcus - the grenade fanatic

zupKC7T.jpg

Olga

5agkFO5.jpg

Katya

q112Q5V.jpg

Julius - the vox caster with a love for chainswords.

uiJCzYe.jpg

Edited by GreenScorpion

Nice fluff. I like the mini concepts, I have wanted to see what a good kit bash of the Necro', GSC and guard models looks like for ages. I know a few peeps have complained about the Escher being about of a weird scale (taller and more slender), did you have any issues with them not fitting well with the guard bits?

Looking forward to seeing these painted GreenScorpion.

Try to get a desk lamp or switch your photo angle so you are front lighting them a bit more. I would love to see them about more clearly.

Thanks for the tips Kevlarshark but I also have to check for camera alternatives as it seems this one is not very suitable for close range pictures even when using close range definitions/lens opening.

Escher are about the same height as guardsmen (slightly taller due to the high heels and even taller if you count the hair) but are slender than guardsmen.

If you compare them with the neophytes though, they are not that thinner than the neophytes (mostly female vs male body types).

The major difference is that escher have no actual body armour, it is mostly skin tight clothes and cloth hanging around.

The escher heads are somewhat smaller than guard/neophytes heads, that is actually the weirdest proportion in my opinion but with the big hair it is not noticeable.

Those models were I put guard and escher parts look mostly like a woman wearing an oversized chest armour from a male soldier. The arms with shoulder arms actually fit quite nicely on guard chests, the others require some work to glue together in a way that doesn't look strange.

Escher has lots of spare arms, a few spare hairs and heads which might provoke some need to kitbash. From the first escher squad I still have nearly half a sprue with arms and a few heads, even after bashing 4 female guard-like soldiers (escher box has 2 equal sprues).

I am thinking of getting some squads from Anvil as well so I might order some legs+chests to give some usefulness to all the arms, heads and other stuff still on those sprues, specially because I have a second box of eschers which will give me a few more spare parts.

If I am able to get some better pictures I will update the thread.

I was able to take some better pictures after playing a bit with lighting and messing with the camera settings.

Currently I replaced the Captain and the picture of Septimus.

Other pictures were temporarily removed and will be replaced by some better photos soon (by mistake I deleted the album they were on imgur so broke all the links anyway).

Paint should start to come in October I would guess as I still need some supplies.

I was never that much of a painter but I am keeping my hopes up.

In the meantime an overview shot of the current army:

0P9TqHo.jpg

And a close up on a few new ones. Some pictures are better than others but I think it has a bit to do with the stability of my hands as well.

Superbus

MoXHMj3.jpg

Gaius

2X6ySTo.jpg

Quintus

fWCqQDO.jpg

Gladius

ZUFBjpO.jpg

Flavius (spotter) and Setorius (gunner)

nWgDrTn.jpg

Sergeant Cassius

zTQjao8.jpg

Corporal Aelius

z8olndd.jpg

Antonius

TUOphXu.jpg

Flaminius

ctfe3AY.jpg

Edited by GreenScorpion

Quick question: anyone knows the best places to get female parts (heads in particular, as heavy armour could be seen as unisex) preferably in Europe?

I have plans to further expand my army with some customized warriors (some will be from Anvil's regiments line) and wanted to keep some mixed gender proportion (not 50-50 but still a decent division between male and female).

• 2 weeks later...

I will likely use heroic scale heads from statuesque miniatures (narrow ones as those seem to be guard scaled) for my female warriors but I never mixed metal parts with plastic/resin bodies.
Any specific issue can arise when you combine these parts?

Next month I should start with painting as the kits were already assembled so expect some progress pics by then but my bits box looks at me defiantly, with 24 female arm pairs from the Escher boxes and a similar number from the cult box (although I might use the tyranid looking arms there as body parts for trophies or decorations in vehicles or buildings as I am considering getting some guard vehicles to boost my force) I might "need" to acquire some torsos and legs to go with all those arms :) .

I will likely use heroic scale heads from statuesque miniatures (narrow ones as those seem to be guard scaled) for my female warriors but I never mixed metal parts with plastic/resin bodies.

Any specific issue can arise when you combine these parts?

Next month I should start with painting as the kits were already assembled so expect some progress pics by then but my bits box looks at me defiantly, with 24 female arm pairs from the Escher boxes and a similar number from the cult box (although I might use the tyranid looking arms there as body parts for trophies or decorations in vehicles or buildings as I am considering getting some guard vehicles to boost my force) I might "need" to acquire some torsos and legs to go with all those arms :smile.: .

The army is looking good. Do you have a paint scheme planned?

For combining metal and plastic parts, the first thing is that obviously you'll need to use superglue, as plastic glue won't work. 

If things need shaved to make them fit, as much as possible do it to the plastic parts or use Green stuff as a filler. While metal is workable, it's harder and much more likely to have slippage with the knife or tools, especially your first time. Then you just end up with blood on things, though that's not necessarily a problem with chaos models. 

Other than that, I've only had trouble when using metal limbs on a plastic/resin body, as it tends to screw up the balance and require the base to be weighted. only metal heads are usually fine except in models with a significant lean (hunched over, running, etc) or on steep hills. 

The Goliath is really nice, to be honest I will likely get a few more as I build up my army. The incinerator turret and its gunner can be fit into place without glueing (turret base has a rotating lock system) so with some work it could be converted into a truck instead of rockgrinder (except for the front drills which I glued).

For the turret weapon itself although I didn't do it, it would be possible to magnetize it to swap between different weapons (back of the weapon mount is the same just a few bits swap between different weapons).

@Excessus: Victoria Miniatures are nice but for large orders of parts my country takes a lot of money in duty taxes for things outside of the EU which unfortunately can make them a bit expensive to get. It could work if I just get 2 or 3 sprues of heads at a time.

@RolandTHTG

To be honest I have been using superglue already as it is much easier to find locally than plastic glue/usual model glue.

In my use case it should be fine then, I can fill gaps with greenstuff and poses can be selected to avoid issues.

As for the paint scheme although I haven't finalized it yet it would be something similar to this:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/igbeta2.php?b62c=@h6Law_h1VNS.iakk7_ia3h6@.@hEvba@___@ht9E4ht9E4ht9E4..hEvba@ht9E4@_.&

I might go a bit brighter on the green for a similar tone of the one on my avatar. Since I have very different models (for example Escher vs GSC vs IG) and some are local recruits from different planets the scheme will vary a bit from the miners to the rest. Gangers would have slight differences (my plans are not just escher gangers), Pirates as well would be different (to come likely as a mix of cultists with converted chaos marauders - each squad of pirates would have slightly different colours).
Overall though they will keep some black, brown, dark red but some might have it in the armour while others in the clothes... and combine those colours with bright details on symbols and so on.
I will likely adapt based on how the test models go.

EDIT: Forgot to add that tyranid/hybrid parts used as trophy as well as the patriarch/familiar models which I will be used as target practice will be painted in shades of purple or something similar.

Edited by GreenScorpion

• 3 weeks later...

Not done with the paint but some pics of my enforcers based on anvil's parts:

RZTXWXO.jpg

IynKSb0.jpg

I really like the bullet proof heads for this sort of individual characters.
I obviously went a bit too far with the sniper rifle and the mg42 enforcers but I just couldn't resist. At least no one can escape the baleful judge now :biggrin.:

Edited by GreenScorpion

• 2 weeks later...

Due to poor natural lighting I had to add a lamp close by to have decent photos but yeah the shiny is just from the lamp not from any painting trick, the actual clothes are really dark.

I am actually thinking of using brighter reds for the other squads as this red doesn't stand out that much from the black armour. This squad looks nice though but for others I will change.

Been using some parts from Anvil Industries to reduce the amounts of bits in my box.

Not entirely sure of what they will be in the end (likely additions to other squads).

EjRXA5c.jpg

I am still relatively new to the green stuff so there are some things I need to improve in the future.

Clodius "Four Arms" will have those genestealer hands as metal claws as he lost those 2 hands in mining accidents.

Lieutenant Susana (on the right, model from Statuesque Miniatures) is still doubtful of whether to shoot him or not.

In the center kneeling is the first model I built with the heroic narrow heads from Statuesque Miniatures, I was worried if they would fit well but honestly I like the result and the scale is very adequate in my opinion.
I have a "few" more female heads to add some more women to my army with mixed gender squads.

• 3 weeks later...

My blackstone fortress seems to be on its way hopefully I will have some more soldiers painted when it arrives.

I ordered a some parts from anvil that arrived this week to do some squads including some snipers which will likely be my marauders.
I ordered some vehicles as well from GW but those seem to be lost in the warp, likely the blackstone box will arrive first than that :unsure.: but I will likely only build those next year as I still have lots of work to do with painting the current assembled minis.

Anyone ever had issues with delayed/lost orders from GW?

Portugal has no GW stores and even retailers are not easy to find so usually I just order online.

I contacted GW customer support and since it already took more time than they would expect for the order to arrive they sent a replacement through tracked mail. According to UPS it should be delivered on the 27th. Hopefully the warp will be generous and not swallow another delivery.