Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cornelivs Maximvs Renegades - Bane of Genestealers

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

GreenScorpion

GreenScorpion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18 posts

For a long time I have been wanting to create a unique renegade army composed of several different looking groups.
The opportunity presented itself with the GSC kits and the new necromunda models and after some financial savings here is the start of my WIP thread.

I will be putting some fluff in this thread as well. I need to take better pictures as well.

TL/DR - Renegade force with a mix of pirates, former miners and gangers hunt GSC and tyranids throughout the galaxy.

The origins

On the planet of Airom there were 3 different societies:

- The rich living on the surface and building large homes with the money earned from the ore and industrial production of the planet;

- The industrial workers living on the first underground levels with some occasional views of the polluted skies;

- The miners living their entire lives on the lower underground levels in complete darkness or iluminated by lights powered by unreliable generators.

Cornelivs and his comrades belonged to the third group and worked for long hours on the dangerous mines. It was not uncommon for people to lose limbs or even die during explosions, landslides or cave-ins.  Cornelivs himself  lost 2 fingers of one hand, crushed by falling rocks (although later it was dissiminated through his followers that a tyranid had bitten those fingers off in a close combat). As a mutant Cornelivs was sent to the most dangerous parts of the mines as mutants with additional arms were preferred to handle the heavy cutting machinery used in the deepest and most unstable parts of the mines.

Despite being born into the lowest of the lowest, Cornelivs was considerably smart and very resourceful, something which allowed him to survive in these unforgiving conditions. Most of his fellow miners respected him and he became the unofficial leader of his mining team.

Unknown to him and most of the inhabitants of the planet, a genestealer infestation was brewing for years in the tunnels of the industrial levels. The infiltrators had chosen this most likely because of the weapons produced there and the proximity to the PDF facilities on the surface, allowing them to strike from a vulnerable position as the planet's militias and defense forces were usually only used to fight off gangs and other criminal groups in the first underground levels but not prepared for large scale combat.

As the insurrection of the GSC began, the defenses on the surface and industrial leves were quickly overwhelmed, many hybrids looked like normal humans, so the garrisons fell due to infiltrators placed there long before the uprising. With the surface under control, the cult began its attack on the miners. The miners were tough and did not give ground easily but they were not an army and the cult was heavily militarized and well equiped at this point.

The situation of Cornelivs and his friends was about to become dire but in this dark moment a voice inside his head began to speak. Cornelivs was scared at first thinking he was going insane but the voice calmed him and assured it would assist him in rescuing the miners. As the cult no doubt had started to disguise members as miners already, the voice instructed Cornelivs in the construction of a strange device which the voice said would allow him to detect all that belong to the GSC (this device was no doubt some sort of archeotech design not known in the 41st millenia). The miners armed themselves as best they could and under the guidance of Cornelivs and most importantly the voice in his head they started to move upwards, trying to reach the surface to exit the planet.

The GSC were unprepared for the sudden attack of Cornelivs and his warriors and they were able to rescue other groups of miners along the way. Whenever the device indicated someone to be a hybrid, Cornelivs executed it without wasting time. They eventually reached the surface better armed and armoured than they were at the start but obviously with some losses along the way. Their eyes blinked in the brightness of the surface, despite the fact the day was always darker due to the pollution clouds. The voice guided them to the starport were a trade ship was waiting for them, its captain led to that location by some weird navigation malfunctions. After a difficult fire exchange the group was able to leave the surface and escape into the void of space.

Becoming pirates

Cornelivs and his warriors had escaped certain death but the trader that saved them could not transport them for long. After discussing with him Cornelivs decided that the trader should drop them off in the imperial planet for which the trader was headed next. His destination wasn't anything big, just a small agri-world called Erish but it would be enough for the miners in the short term. The thought of touching land again pleased the miners, not used to travel through space.

Plans rarely go as they are defined and while nearing Erish, a pirate ship approached their ship and tried to board them. The trader's crew was not military trained and the ship didn't have much weaponry that they could use against the pirates. If it were not for the miners the trader would surely be doomed. Cornelivs rallied his warriors behind him and eliminated the pirates already entering the trade ship, pushing forward and entering the pirate ship, leaving some of his men to guard the passage. The pirates were not used to tough enemies like the miners, only farmers with weak rifles or traders without combat experience and as soon as Cornelivs killed their captain they surrendered.

The trader thanked Cornelivs for the assistance of his warriors and both ships continued moving, now with Cornelivs and the miners controlling the pirate ship along with the surviving pirates, until they landed on Erish. Although the farmers on Erish were not happy to see the pirate ship that often raided them, after they found out what happened the miners were well received. The locals could not allow the miners to stay for long but provided them with supplies so they could search for a home among the stars. As soon as the trader did some deals with the locals he left, thanking the miners again for their help with the pirates and wishing them luck with their new adventures. The miners also thanked the trader for rescuing them from their overrun native planet.

After some weeks Cornelivs decided it was time to leave and the miners as well as the pirates prepared the ship for its travel.

Captain Cornelivs Maximvs is a mutant originally from a mining world in the Imperium. For many decades he worked underground extracting ore for industrial production, never seeing the light of the stars. All this changed when a Genestealer Cult uprising in his planet forced him and his colleagues to take up arms and defend themselves as they tried to escape from the already overrun planet. A voice led him to a trade ship which rescued the few surviving miners and took them off-world. Cornelivs vowed revenge from genestealers and tyranids as a whole. While travelling through space the trade ship was attacked by some pirates but after a fierce Cornelivs and his warriors were able to subjugate the pirates and turn them into his followers. He then left the trade ship, thanking the trader for rescuing them and begane his life of piracy, leading the ship's crew to wherever the tyranids or genestealer cults appeared. As he fought on his forces grew in number with recruits from the worlds he assisted filling up his ranks. Gangers, former civilians, militias... joined him as his fierce tactics often lead them to victory.

kTZkz1s.jpg

Septimus, the Seventh Son of the Seventh Son. Originally from a desertic feral world, Septimus is a powerful psyker with a focuse on pyromancy. When his tribe expelled him and hunted him down after some tribesmen were consumed by his flames, another psyker took him in and trained him in the arts of a psyker. For a long time he taught him how to protect his mind from invasion and how to better control his natural pyromancy skills. One day his master simply vanished and a few days afterwards Cornelivs appeared searching for Septimus, once more guided by a voice in his mind. Septimus joined the forces of Cornelivs but the mystery remained as to who was guiding the captain.

AHW63jI.jpg

Since I built up my first squad of Escher as per the examples, I named them as per their character name on the instructions.

Jelena - The squad leader

Spoiler

Kaiya

Spoiler

Reina

Spoiler

Tumala

Spoiler

Brae

Spoiler

Marika

Spoiler

Nokomi

Spoiler

Rhosinn

Spoiler

Olina

Spoiler

Zarann

Spoiler

Sergeant Ariel - leader of the guardsmen based squad - survivors from the mining world who acquired some guardsmen equipment.

Spoiler

Katarina

Spoiler

Marcus - the grenade fanatic

Spoiler

Olga

Spoiler

Katya

Spoiler

Julius - the vox caster with a love for chainswords.

Spoiler

Edited by GreenScorpion, 11 September 2018 - 08:17 PM.

• Kevlarshark and Juggernut like this

8.jpg

Kevlarshark

Kevlarshark

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 539 posts
Nice fluff. I like the mini concepts, I have wanted to see what a good kit bash of the Necro', GSC and guard models looks like for ages. I know a few peeps have complained about the Escher being about of a weird scale (taller and more slender), did you have any issues with them not fitting well with the guard bits?

Looking forward to seeing these painted GreenScorpion.

Try to get a desk lamp or switch your photo angle so you are front lighting them a bit more. I would love to see them about more clearly.
  • Juggernut and GreenScorpion like this

"I saw your Emperor. A handful of times, back in the age before he betrayed us all...
And he was no god. Perhaps not a man, but never a god."

gallery_17264_1670_28658.jpg gallery_17264_1670_711.gifgallery_17264_1670_3292.gif

GreenScorpion

GreenScorpion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18 posts

Thanks for the tips Kevlarshark but I also have to check for camera alternatives as it seems this one is not very suitable for close range pictures even when using close range definitions/lens opening.

Escher are about the same height as guardsmen (slightly taller due to the high heels and even taller if you count the hair) but are slender than guardsmen.

If you compare them with the neophytes though, they are not that thinner than the neophytes (mostly female vs male body types).

The major difference is that escher have no actual body armour, it is mostly skin tight clothes and cloth hanging around.

The escher heads are somewhat smaller than guard/neophytes heads, that is actually the weirdest proportion in my opinion but with the big hair it is not noticeable.

Those models were I put guard and escher parts look mostly like a woman wearing an oversized chest armour from a male soldier. The arms with shoulder arms actually fit quite nicely on guard chests, the others require some work to glue together in a way that doesn't look strange.

Escher has lots of spare arms, a few spare hairs and heads which might provoke some need to kitbash. From the first escher squad I still have nearly half a sprue with arms and a few heads, even after bashing 4 female guard-like soldiers (escher box has 2 equal sprues).

I am thinking of getting some squads from Anvil as well so I might order some legs+chests to give some usefulness to all the arms, heads and other stuff still on those sprues, specially because I have a second box of eschers which will give me a few more spare parts.

If I am able to get some better pictures I will update the thread.

• Kevlarshark likes this

8.jpg

Kevlarshark

Kevlarshark

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 539 posts
Cheers I was wondering how neat the fit between those kits was... especially considering how old the Cadian kit is. Good to hear it's a decent comparison.
  • GreenScorpion likes this

"I saw your Emperor. A handful of times, back in the age before he betrayed us all...

gallery_17264_1670_28658.jpg gallery_17264_1670_711.gifgallery_17264_1670_3292.gif

GreenScorpion

GreenScorpion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18 posts

I was able to take some better pictures after playing a bit with lighting and messing with the camera settings.

Currently I replaced the Captain and the picture of Septimus.

Other pictures were temporarily removed and will be replaced by some better photos soon (by mistake I deleted the album they were on imgur so broke all the links anyway).

• Kevlarshark likes this

8.jpg

Kevlarshark

Kevlarshark

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 539 posts
Yes. Much clearer, looking forward to seeing some paint...and of course the rest of the Renegades 😀

GreenScorpion

GreenScorpion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18 posts

Paint should start to come in October I would guess as I still need some supplies.

I was never that much of a painter but I am keeping my hopes up.

In the meantime an overview shot of the current army:

0P9TqHo.jpg

And a close up on a few new ones. Some pictures are better than others but I think it has a bit to do with the stability of my hands as well.

Superbus

Spoiler

Gaius

Spoiler

Quintus

Spoiler

Gladius

Spoiler

Flavius (spotter) and Setorius (gunner)

Spoiler

Sergeant Cassius

Spoiler

Corporal Aelius

Spoiler

Antonius

Spoiler

Flaminius

Spoiler

Edited by GreenScorpion, 29 August 2018 - 05:23 PM.

• Kevlarshark likes this

8.jpg

GreenScorpion

GreenScorpion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18 posts

Quick question: anyone knows the best places to get female parts (heads in particular, as heavy armour could be seen as unisex) preferably in Europe?

I have plans to further expand my army with some customized warriors (some will be from Anvil's regiments line) and wanted to keep some mixed gender proportion (not 50-50 but still a decent division between male and female).

8.jpg

GreenScorpion

GreenScorpion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18 posts

After some work here are some photos of the goliath.

4EP9ygn.jpg

gmyaQFD.jpg

Although it took some time to build, it looks really nice once built :)

8.jpg

GreenScorpion

GreenScorpion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18 posts

I will likely use heroic scale heads from statuesque miniatures (narrow ones as those seem to be guard scaled) for my female warriors but I never mixed metal parts with plastic/resin bodies.
Any specific issue can arise when you combine these parts?

Next month I should start with painting as the kits were already assembled so expect some progress pics by then but my bits box looks at me defiantly, with 24 female arm pairs from the Escher boxes and a similar number from the cult box (although I might use the tyranid looking arms there as body parts for trophies or decorations in vehicles or buildings as I am considering getting some guard vehicles to boost my force) I might "need" to acquire some torsos and legs to go with all those arms :) .

8.jpg

Kevlarshark

Kevlarshark

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 539 posts
I love the Goliath model...it's so industrial.

Excessus

Excessus

++ APPORTO FERMENTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,468 posts
  • Faction: Alpha Legion, Thousand Sons

Love the Goliath model! :)

If you need female bitz, Victoria Miniatures have female guard ranges.

"Deception IS the point. Any fool can calculate strength. That one has been doing it from the moment he saw us. Now, he has to calculate what he can't see. And fear what he doesn't know."

Alpha Legion Cell #379, Thousand Sons and other friends
The Serpent's Lair - Alpha Legion Forum
+++ DIU AD BELLI - Legion War! +++ (2017 ETL replacement)

gallery_48988_10980_12646.pnggallery_29004_9303_652.pngEcJeVZz.pnggallery_48988_13169_1292.png

RolandTHTG

RolandTHTG

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,442 posts

I will likely use heroic scale heads from statuesque miniatures (narrow ones as those seem to be guard scaled) for my female warriors but I never mixed metal parts with plastic/resin bodies.
Any specific issue can arise when you combine these parts?

Next month I should start with painting as the kits were already assembled so expect some progress pics by then but my bits box looks at me defiantly, with 24 female arm pairs from the Escher boxes and a similar number from the cult box (although I might use the tyranid looking arms there as body parts for trophies or decorations in vehicles or buildings as I am considering getting some guard vehicles to boost my force) I might "need" to acquire some torsos and legs to go with all those arms smile.png .

The army is looking good. Do you have a paint scheme planned?

For combining metal and plastic parts, the first thing is that obviously you'll need to use superglue, as plastic glue won't work. 

If things need shaved to make them fit, as much as possible do it to the plastic parts or use Green stuff as a filler. While metal is workable, it's harder and much more likely to have slippage with the knife or tools, especially your first time. Then you just end up with blood on things, though that's not necessarily a problem with chaos models. 

Other than that, I've only had trouble when using metal limbs on a plastic/resin body, as it tends to screw up the balance and require the base to be weighted. only metal heads are usually fine except in models with a significant lean (hunched over, running, etc) or on steep hills. 

As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn,

The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!

There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order. -anon

ETL_Banner_01_Base_Top.jpg

ETL_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_2012a.jpgETL_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_2013a.jpgETL_Banner_04_Oath_Breaker_2014.jpgETL_Banner_03_Corner_Blank.jpgETL_Banner_03_Corner_Blank.jpgETL_Banner_03_Corner_Blank.jpgETL_Banner_03_Corner_Blank.jpgETL_Banner_03_Corner_Sword.jpg

6th/7th ed CSM Record 14-7-1 W-L-D

6th/7th ed SM (White Scars ) record 8-2-2 W-L-D

Formerly known as TJWyrm

GreenScorpion

GreenScorpion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18 posts

The Goliath is really nice, to be honest I will likely get a few more as I build up my army. The incinerator turret and its gunner can be fit into place without glueing (turret base has a rotating lock system) so with some work it could be converted into a truck instead of rockgrinder (except for the front drills which I glued).

For the turret weapon itself although I didn't do it, it would be possible to magnetize it to swap between different weapons (back of the weapon mount is the same just a few bits swap between different weapons).

@Excessus: Victoria Miniatures are nice but for large orders of parts my country takes a lot of money in duty taxes for things outside of the EU which unfortunately can make them a bit expensive to get. It could work if I just get 2 or 3 sprues of heads at a time.

@RolandTHTG

To be honest I have been using superglue already as it is much easier to find locally than plastic glue/usual model glue.

In my use case it should be fine then, I can fill gaps with greenstuff and poses can be selected to avoid issues.

As for the paint scheme although I haven't finalized it yet it would be something similar to this:

igbeta2.php?b62c=@h6Law_h1VNS.iakk7_ia3h

I might go a bit brighter on the green for a similar tone of the one on my avatar. Since I have very different models (for example Escher vs GSC vs IG) and some are local recruits from different planets the scheme will vary a bit from the miners to the rest. Gangers would have slight differences (my plans are not just escher gangers), Pirates as well would be different (to come likely as a mix of cultists with converted chaos marauders - each squad of pirates would have slightly different colours).
Overall though they will keep some black, brown, dark red but some might have it in the armour while others in the clothes... and combine those colours with bright details on symbols and so on.
I will likely adapt based on how the test models go.

EDIT: Forgot to add that tyranid/hybrid parts used as trophy as well as the patriarch/familiar models which I will be used as target practice will be painted in shades of purple or something similar.

Edited by GreenScorpion, 21 September 2018 - 08:35 PM.

8.jpg

GreenScorpion

GreenScorpion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18 posts

I have primed the current army, once I have the test model painted I will post some pictures.

8.jpg

GreenScorpion

GreenScorpion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18 posts

Not done with the paint but some pics of my enforcers based on anvil's parts:

RZTXWXO.jpg

IynKSb0.jpg

I really like the bullet proof heads for this sort of individual characters.
I obviously went a bit too far with the sniper rifle and the mg42 enforcers but I just couldn't resist. At least no one can escape the baleful judge now :D

8.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users