Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cornelivs Maximvs Renegades - Bane of Genestealers

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

GreenScorpion

GreenScorpion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 50 posts

Apparently what I thought was the date for the delivery for the vehicles order replacement was actually the date for the blackstone fortress box, the replacement only on Friday apparently.

@Excessus: I will be happy if just one arrives, either replacement or original.

First feeling of getting the box from the blackstone fortress is that it is heavy, the pieces for the board are the apparent reason.

2 red sprues for explorers, 3 grey sprues for enemies (1 small for the chaos lord and 2 equal sprues for the other miniatures). Nothing seems to need glue including bases.

All the chaotic infantry seems to have "chaos" and "servants of the abyss" as faction keywords.

Basically your army can take only the amount you have in the box.

They also share the servants of the abyss ability which seems to state you have to deploy all of the chaos units at the same time and within 6'' of the chaos lord.

The models seem amazing, will likely build them over the weekend.

GreenScorpion

GreenScorpion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 50 posts

I have built the explorers, chaos lord and 1 of the big grey sprues without gluing.

As had been stated before in the rumours thread it seems some of the traitor guardsmen are slimmer and the facial traits seem softer so they might be guardswomen not that it matters in what relates to pushing them to the front msn-wink.gif

Note: The models have lots of fragile parts which could get damaged when removing from sprue or pushing the parts into place, handle with care.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

GreenScorpion

GreenScorpion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 50 posts

My vehicles order finally arrived (the replacement, the original remains in the warp, a sacrifice in the name of Chaos) : a leman russ, a chimera and a taurox are ready to be assembled after the holidays. Also some more infantry to make command squads and possibly some "commandos" based on the militarum tempestus.

• Excessus likes this

GreenScorpion

GreenScorpion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 50 posts

Weather hasn't been good for painting lately so I decided to focuse on my terrain for now.

You might have seen the wip fortress I am building for my renegades as background in some photos. Here is the current status:

q7IEX70.jpg

The objective is to have a medieval-like fortress with one central tower, 4 corner towers and one gate (I am thinking about having a functional gate).

It is made almost exclusively from used matches and I although I had started it some years ago for another purpose in my past iteration on the hobby, now it is part of the terrain my renegades will use when defending their colony (I have been adding more fluff to the first post in case you want to know more).

When I finish the construction of the fortress my plans are to paint it and add some decorations/trophies.

After this gets finished I will likely make some smaller buildings like bunkers, houses and so on.

GreenScorpion

GreenScorpion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 50 posts

Went home for the holidays so no progress on the growing army (except looking for more stuff to do some more terrain and probably some post-apocalyptic looking vehicles) so I focused on continuing writing the fluff for my army. Here is the latest part focused on the story behind Septimus the psyker. If you need context look into the text on the first post of this thread :)

Some parts intercept with some fluff I had written in the past for some space marines and info about the one pulling the strings will be revealed gradually (fluff had been thought of a few years back for Cornelivs warriors but I never had written it down).

Septimus Germanicus

After leaving Aibara, the ship set course to Rolauqs, its original destination. During the trip Cornelivs and Septimus often spoke about their past and what brought them to the current situation.

Septimus Germanicus was the seventh son of Daniel Germanicus, the leader of the hunting party constantly roaming the limits of their tribe’s territory in search of large prey with which they paid the tithe to the planetary governor.

Their planet was large but scarcely populated with each tribe controlling thousands of square kilometres of wild terrain. The climate was mostly dry and rocky deserts covered most of the territory, making it difficult to make large plantations and thus forcing its inhabitants to hunt the wild animals that roamed their land and herd any animals that could be safely kept near their villages and towns, in order to get enough food to feed themselves.

Septimus was still young but his father liked to take him with him in all the hunts because he was extremely agile and could ambush most large animals with just a few minutes of preparation. He was also surprisingly good at lighting a fire and would often create a fire pit with almost no fuel, something very important when the nights in the wild could easily freeze a man in his sleep. Septimus never really knew why he was so good at making fire, it was just something that came naturally to him and he would often admire the dancing fire before falling asleep.

That particular hunting trip had proved very successful and the entire party would return to the tribe’s town earlier than expected. That night the good hunt was celebrated before the expected return to their families. With strong drink affecting their minds, some of the hunters simply played around or began to sleep but among the younger members of the group a heated discussion began.

Marcus Augustus, one of the younger hunters with more muscles than brain, always disliked Septimus for being seen as a good hunter despite his smaller size and reduced muscularity. After some drinks, Marcus and his friends started to make fun of Septimus which gave them no attention whatsoever. This seemed to anger Marcus which decided to teach Septimus a lesson. Marcus and his friends surrounded Septimus and eventually were able to bring him to the ground, despite his best efforts to escape from them. Although Septimus tried to break free, Marcus and his friends started to beat him up until a strong rage began rising in Septimus and his aggressors were pulled away by a strange ball of fire that emanated from him. This brought the attention of the other hunters which tried their best to put out the flames that were burning the group of young hunters.

Although the fire came from him, Septimus had not suffered any burns and his only injuries were from the previous beating. As soon as the flames were extinguished, the other young hunters, some severely injured by the flames, started to tell the older hunters that Septimus was a sorcerer and had cast out flames out of nowhere. At first the hunters thought the youngsters were just too drunk and had somehow caught on fire with a torch or something but as soon as they looked into the burn marks on the ground they saw a shade where Septimus had stood and that it had emanated from his position. When the hunters tried to catch him to interrogate him and understood what had happened, Septimus began to flee and as he did flames surrounded him, making sure the other hunters could not reach him. He kept running until he disappeared into the desert with his pursuers far behind.

The hunters gathered and a portion of the party was tasked with capturing Septimus while the rest returned to their town with captured animals as well as the injured from Septimus flames. Those in pursuit followed his tracks for days with no luck, it seemed he was always a few steps ahead of them.

Unknown to Septimus and the hunters in his tracks, a man watched the pursuit from the distance seemingly speaking to himself. The psyker had been watching Septimus for months now, following the commands of his master.

- Besides being a natural pyromancer I haven’t seen anything special about the boy, are you sure I should spend my time teaching this one?

- He has great potential and his life in a feral world trained him well for the tasks I have planned for him in the future. And this one is not so likely to fall to the seduction of the warp as some of your first apprentices were. Most descendants are stronger than those two psykers that went chaotic, it is unlikely it will happen again. Is your faith in me wavering already Traveller?

- As always I will trust in your judgement Ancestor but I still need to find a way to speak with Septimus while keeping him away from the tribesmen.

- I am sure you will think of a way to accomplish it. We cannot afford to lose any recruits, the Imperium is in disarray and the fact we are seen as renegades means we might have to fight both sides. With all that happened with the fall of Cadia I might have to exit this device and face my enemies directly on the battlefield. I fear I might have to find a way to return to Terra in case the warbands reach too close to their target. It has been so long since I last saw my birth planet, ten millennia ago.

- You were on Terra during the Heresy time? You had never told me about that.

- A tale for another time but the short version is that I arrived too late to save the Emperor and my idea for a replacement of the Golden Throne was refused, so I just hunted down traitors around the Eye for decades as a penitence. Back on the topic, Septimus has entered a cave system, you should be able to discuss with him with no interference from the hunters if you follow him tonight.

- I will then intercept Septimus and convince him to join us. Sorry to hear about the situation you faced on Terra.

The Traveller entered the caves and positioned himself near the centre of the complex. Using mental illusions he made sure Septimus moved to join him, while the hunters where tricked into walking around in circles away from both psykers. After some minutes Septimus appeared in front of the Traveller, surprised by seeing anyone else besides the hunters on his tracks. The Traveller presented himself, trying to calm down Septimus:

- My name is Gladivs Clodivs and I am a psyker like you Septimus. I have been watching you and the time has come to teach you how to better control your powers so you can become a powerful psyker and use your powers to help a greater cause. The hunters pursuing you will not find you here, you are safe.

- How did you know my name and how do I know if I can trust you?

- Right now your mind is like an open book, it is but child’s play to read your mind and find whatever I need to know about you, I can teach you how to avoid that by protecting your mind. In what relates to trust in all honesty you can’t trust no one, specially right now. I won’t force you to come with me, you are free to leave anytime you wish.

- If you can really teach me how to control my powers I will go with you but I will not trust you and will leave if something truly displeases me.

- As you wish Septimus! - the Traveller had a smile on his face, the young psyker reminded him of his youth and the day the Ancestor first spoke with him, a strange man that seemed more out of place in the current times than a tribesman in a space ship.

For the next few months Septimus trained everyday and became more powerful. The man he knew as Gladivs focused a lot of his training in both protecting his own mind as well as read the minds of others and would often take him to the outskirts of the capital city of the planet in order to test his capabilities by reading the minds of the governor’s staff, PDF soldiers and other inhabitants of the city.

Around the time Cornelivs was making his escape from Airom, Gladivs disappeared for a few days, after instructing Septimus to keep training his powers in the outskirts of the capital. When Gladivs returned he seemed rather tired and he told Septimus they should move to the wilderness and continue to train the natural pyromancy skills that Septimus possessed. For months they continued to train and during that time Gladivs told Septimus that one day they would part ways but regardless of what would happen that he could always trust in those that bear the mark of the Green Scorpion and proceeded to show him the symbol which covered his ring. He said that those that bear the mark might conceal it and belong to different parts of society but they all serve the same purpose and that one day Septimus would discover his own purpose as a Green Scorpion.

One day Gladivs simply vanished leaving behind a small necklace with the Green Scorpion as a gift for Septimus. From that day onwards Septimus wore the necklace hidden below his clothes, feeling somehow that the small jewellery protected him wherever he went. After some days Cornelivs appeared on Aibara and the rest you already know.

• Tallarn Commander likes this

GreenScorpion

GreenScorpion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 50 posts

Spent part of the holidays searching for possible additions to my army within the unused stuff at my family's home.

Found some artillery which seems to have an adequate scale (Septimus posed for reference), thinking about using some parts from Anvil to make the gunners for it

Spoiler

Also some vehicles that could be used as something similar to goliaths with some kitbashing (thinking about making some drivers and crewmen)

Spoiler

Additionally something that could be used as a manticore or something similar (if being towed by a vehicle)

Spoiler

I think I am going to check for some more similarly sized vehicles as well as prepare some heavier artillery with some materials I had laying around.

GreenScorpion

GreenScorpion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 50 posts

Trying to get back into the rythm after the holidays, painting has been slow mostly due to the weather but I will likely be posting an update on that soon.

For now here are the first members of my Tempestus based squad:

pfWJtlr.jpg

I have been also been working on my terrain, currently reaching the part where the gate will be placed:

ddLFYcs.jpg

I had some ideas on LED lighting for the fortress, maybe with some flickering and inside flame shaped containers to make some torchs. My family has some materials laying around that I might be able to use but I still have to think about the practical implementation.

I am also considering using some air drying clay for some more terrain pieces (bunkers, trenches, small fortifications, ruins...), anyone has some experience with that?

Kriegsmacht

Kriegsmacht

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,492 posts

Like what is here. Too bad about the lighting in the pics of your painted minis. Would be nice to see them better(unless i missed a pic like that). :tu:

• GreenScorpion likes this
The flesh is weak but Twinkies are forever...

Burn the Heretic, the witch, the mutant in the name of oooo cake!

gallery 45765 12339 13106

Tallarn Commander

Tallarn Commander

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 595 posts
I've used air-dried clay for small terrain pieces such as dugouts with sandbags. I made a bunch of such pieces back in 2011. Air dried clay works fairly well as smaller terrain pieces.

It's not the strongest stuff and over the years I've had to repair and repaint broken pieces about twice as frequently as I have to repair and repaint foam terrain pieces. But it's cheap, looks good, and gets the job done.
  • GreenScorpion and Nemerax like this

gallery_30308_9518_8793.jpggallery_30308_9518_10060.jpgCall_of_Chaos_11_Banner_01b.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Primus_Interpares_Chaos.jp

GreenScorpion

GreenScorpion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 50 posts

@Kriegsmacht: Thanks, I got a thinner brush for details so I will be adding some more details to the painted minis you saw and post a picture with some more light (once I get a good sunny day to help with providing more background light).

@Tallarn Commander: Thanks for the input :)
I thought about using the clay because I recall having good results in the past while using it in other contexts although maintenance was sometimes needed on those cases.

I recall that I did a volcano for one of the kids that was taken to the school to be there in an exhibit. I remember it had some houses made with matches (my family has a thing for saving matches for building stuff, it started with fences for the sheep for christmas), unfortunately by the time I went to see the exhibit someone had already pushed the roof of the small houses inside and so the volcano surroundings were filled with ruins :|

• Tallarn Commander and Nemerax like this

GreenScorpion

GreenScorpion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 50 posts

I have gotten some parts from Anvil and build a test driver/operator for some vehicles I dug up during Christmas.

21beCeI.jpg

Spoiler

IuPO0uZ.jpg

Spoiler

0tIHB1D.jpg

Spoiler

The pics are a bit quick and dirty but I think the vehicle scale in comparison with the driver test model is quite adequate so I will try to find other similarly scaled vehicles.

Edited by GreenScorpion, 26 January 2019 - 12:34 PM.

GreenScorpion

GreenScorpion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 50 posts

Some more updates, my terrain is progressing well and I will focus now on the gate tower (space in the front of the fortress) and after that I will make working inside and outside gates as well as a working drawbridge (manually working gates and possibly automated drawbridge). Which will then only leave the corner towers and the merlons on the walls and towers.

1DQ98qI.jpg

Some progress as well on the assembly of some soldiers, here is a tempestus based command squad:

yAjlKA4.jpg

sKqHiEr.jpg

As I have seen suggested around here before I am using a hotshot lasgun as a sniper rifle.

The standard bearer is a bit out of balance and as a tendency to fall backwards so I will add when some counterweight in the base when basing the model.

GreenScorpion

GreenScorpion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 50 posts

Some updates from the front.

First the outer gate is ready, not exactly perfectly but it does work and opens or closes manually.

2FlFaMV.jpg

QNiF8BC.jpg

Made another command squad, this time it was based on the cadian command squad.

A9SKr5O.jpg

s40oOf9.jpg

Also another cadian based squad being built currently

Bzwlsxd.jpg

w63ypo7.jpg

Focus will be now to continue that squad, make the inner gate and, if the weather is still good in the weekend, get some more painting done.

Once I finish both cadian based squads I will likely start with the vehicles (maybe the taurox).

• Excessus and Tallarn Commander like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users