146th Hallamite Infantry Regiment (Armoured)

<<Transmission incoming>>

<<Code Magenta; seek clearance from command prior to discussion with subordinates>>

To: Fellow officers, Imperial Guard regiments in theatre,

1. Here is an ongoing briefing on the current strength of the Hallamite 146th.

2. The 146th is presently understrength and engaged in heavy fighting against a range of the Emperor's foes, typically including traitor guard, various forces of the arch enemy, occasional xenos elements and due to unforeseen miscommunication issues, a chapter of His most sacred Adeptus Astartes. Who have a Knight.

3. Your help is sought in ensuring that the 146th are well presented on the battlefield. The regimental quartermaster is a particularly lazy specimen at times and needs regular encouragement to bring D company up to strength.

Signed: Colonel Bindoff

<<Transmission ends>>

Or in other words, I really need to do a blog topic to get this project going. I've been an on/off guard player since about 5th although mostly green Cadians and generally infantry and having just about finish my last project (SM Company) I want to start a new guard force.

I'm not the greatest painter and I'm not blessed with bucket loads of spare time; I would be grateful for C&C on my work, and of course ideas of where to go next. So without further ado, here is the army's first model:

gallery_95578_13095_100996.jpeg

and from another angle:

gallery_95578_13095_812181.jpeg

The Chimera is Gryphonne pattern with a twin HB turret (Its a conversion - forgeworld seem to have stopped making these). She's called Maud and has a reputation for breaking down in games (typically after being hit repeatedly by enemy fire, it should be added).

I'm working towards a list which I'm currently proxying with my Cadians, which is essentially:

CC

LC

3 x infantry squads with Plasma Guns, Heavy Bolters and Gryphonne Chimeras

Platoon Commander (in my fluff, Colour Sergeant Bors of the scout squad (which is actually a veteran squad), mounted in Maud

A demolisher

A heavy weapon squad (also in a chimera)

A LRBT Tank commander (spearhead leader)

3 LR Executioners

And here's my next bit, the three executioners:

gallery_95578_13095_1317206.jpg

just basecoated (one has been drybrushed a bit) and awaiting more work!

Another WIP topic joins the barracks :tu: Nice colours on the tank so looking forward to more - plus some infantry of course ;) If you're looking for additions, the tanks will pop with some transfers on and numbering. I also think a different colour on the hull weapon canvas would be best, perhaps Rakarth Flesh with an Agrax wash?

Thank you sirs!

Warriorfish I'll sort some numbering out once I've finished drawing out the orbat for the regiment - that way any future additions will retain consistency etc in my mind. I'll also be adding some other markings once I've worked those out too. Good idea for the canvas - I'm also going to improve the smoke launcher a bit.

Re infantry - I've not done any yet because I'm in a bit of a quandary as to which models to use. I already own around 200 cadians so I'm going down an alternative route this time but it's hard to make my mind up. I think I'm going to order some guys from Anvil - they look very plausibly guard-like. But there are so, so many options....

So here's three of those. Once I've picked a favourite I'll order a small squad, and if they work out I'll get more. What do you guys think of these (used Anvil's 3D designer tool thing):

gallery_95578_13095_91578.png

gallery_95578_13095_20150.png

gallery_95578_13095_3718.jpg

I really like the dress uniform guy but anvil don't do female parts and I like the idea of a few women in the ranks - so the helmeted head / heavier armour I think would work better with the odd female head from shapeways thrown onto sergeants etc.

Thoughts?

The helmeted and armored figure looks best- he looks ready to fight. After all, your army isn't going to limit its deployments to parade fields where your soldiers can "look pretty" and not fear enemy fire will get their "bright and shiny" gear all dirty.

Two totally different opinions! I’ve not seen the models in real life but photos of them look like the render issue doesn’t translate into the resin.

I think the armoured chest is a definite (it gets around the female chest issue), just more thought needed on the heads.

Looks like it's going to be option 1 on the infantry. Duz, I agree a bit on the arms but I think they fit the carapace armoured style look better than just normal sleeves. I'll purchase a test squad later then see how they turn out. Thanks for the inputs everyone.

Here's the first of the Russes. Not finished but getting there.

gallery_95578_13095_926679.jpg

gallery_95578_13095_1200635.jpg

As well as needing vehicle markings I'm thinking of glooping some Armageddon Dust around the tracks and lower parts, which will match the bases I'm planning for the troops. Anyone tried this?

Cheers - I like to work up fluff as I go through a project. It somehow makes the regiment seem a bit more real.

The infantry I ordered from Anvil haven't arrived yet but I've not had much time this week anyway. All I've really done is try out Armaggeddon Dust on the tracks of this old Cadian Chimera:

gallery_95578_13095_1279538.jpg

gallery_95578_13095_791446.jpg

I think a bit of a wash on some bits and it'll work on the newer ones - always a bit apprehensive with weathering a new paint job because it's hard to clean off! I'll try to pluck up the courage to do it on the Russ this weekend

I am enjoying this thread :smile.: .

The marking idea looks great... very British WW2 and also very similar to my army (although I am sticking to one armoured company of armour but using a similar system for marking up the Chimeras from a different company).

History is a great resource for this type of project :smile.:

I am being lazy and using existing transfers/decals from all over the place (my Armoured regiment uses an Imperial Fist icon as its insignia, for example)... are you printing your own or sourcing through the web?

Something I have read on various model making forums is that, where weathering is concerned, less is more. Start very sparingly, let it all dry/set and then add more if you need to. 

Your weathering on the Chimera looks a bit heavy to be desert but looks spot on for mud... a lighter coating would suit a more arid environment.

Edited by Inso

The Chimera's muddy tracks are well done.

Thanks pal!

I am enjoying this thread :) .

The marking idea looks great... very British WW2 and also very similar to my army (although I am sticking to one armoured company of armour but using a similar system for marking up the Chimeras from a different company).

History is a great resource for this type of project :)

I am being lazy and using existing transfers/decals from all over the place (my Armoured regiment uses an Imperial Fist icon as its insignia, for example)... are you printing your own or sourcing through the web?

Something I have read on various model making forums is that, where weathering is concerned, less is more. Start very sparingly, let it all dry/set and then add more if you need to. 

Your weathering on the Chimera looks a bit heavy to be desert but looks spot on for mud... a lighter coating would suit a more arid environment.

Thanks, yes the markings are in fact (mostly) based on my grandad's old battalion and division. I was going for a muddier look, so I guess that's all good! I know they're a deserty colour but the muddier look will better suit my terrain. And I can always apply to my Cadians too....

I picked up a couple of sentinels and my test squad arrived, going to put a couple together to show what the models look like vs the render

<<<<<< [sgt Bor's personal log - accessed by Commissar Vosh, routine personal journal covert monitoring]

<<New uniforms issued today by dept. munitorum. In their infinite wisdom they've been issued in a 'resin white' colour - Vosh is already breathing down our necks to get them into Hallam colours. The lads have taken to powdering their faces and hair so they look totally white until we can find some dye. Needless to say, I though Voshy was going to actually explode when he saw Corporal Leff coming out the back of Maud looking like a ghost.>>

Note to self - remind Lieutenant Klass to order Sgt Bors not to call me Voshy. - Commissar's personal notes >>>>>>

So the Anvil squad - the resin is very good, there's barely any clean-up needed at all. I've not positioned the first two guys well but I'm getting used to the arms now and I think the next batch will be better. The detail is nice and crisp - I also ordered shoulder pads to make the render guys look a bit more 40k - I mean, pauldrons have been in for at least 10,000 years.

Let me know what you think: I've placed next to a regular Cadian and one of my DIY stormtroopers from back when Scions weren't a thing to give a sense of scale and quality.

gallery_95578_13095_188607.jpg

and the back...

gallery_95578_13095_269105.jpg

Pretty sure I like them. I also ordered some camo cloaks from anvil which I was planning to put on this squad to give it a slight scout look (there's three plasma guns so will use as veterans).

Pretty sure I like them. I also ordered some camo cloaks from anvil which I was planning to put on this squad to give it a slight scout look (there's three plasma guns so will use as veterans).

Im pretty sure I like them too! :D :tu:

Now we need painted models! ^_^

Ok so slower progress than I'd hoped, partly due to helping my boy to paint his Knight Castellan, partly due to real life!

I've built the test squad, as here:

gallery_95578_13095_334299.jpg

and I'm working on the colour scheme for their uniforms. So far, this is what I've come up with (note, not finished!)

gallery_95578_13095_870848.jpeg

The uniforms match the tank armour, with a more canvas coloured shako and trousers. Pouches and belt are white, and the armour is leadbelcher (not highlighted yet). Any suggestions welcome! Beyond finishing it, of course...

Personally think you have made a good choice of bits out of Anvil's massive pool of possibilities. Especially happy to see the carbines as I am currently torn between the drum mag carbines and the assault carbines for some Steel Legion Pioneers/Shock troops.

Can't comment on the paint-job as it is currently WIP.

Edited by OtherKharon