146th Hallamite Infantry Regiment (Armoured)

Cheers Duz.

Took a slight break and got this one done. This is Irene:

gallery_95578_13095_64750.jpeg

She’s a scout pattern chimera. My plan is that I’ll put a squad of veterans in this one at some point, probably with a slightly different uniform but still recognisably Hallamite. I’ve been applying some light coloured mud to Irene and I quite like the way it’s turned out.

gallery_95578_13095_93379.jpeg

And here you can see the unit markings.

gallery_95578_13095_22639.jpeg

Thanks Bjorn!

So my current tactical order is something like (including painted models and ones I’ve vowed):

One company commander

One lord commissar

Two enginseers

Three infantry squads with plasma guns

One Melta sws

One auto cannon hws

Three sentinels

Three plasma russes, three normal, one Demolisher and one Vanquisher

A hydra

Four chimera

And I’m thinking about the next phase of expansion. I’ll probably pick up a couple of hellhounds for my second etl vow (assuming I get first one finished in plenty of time) and Two of my russes are only basecoated so will pledge those. And one of my boys picked me up a commissar Yarrick too!

But as we all know, armies are never finished. As well as some half painted bits, we have to have a pile of unmade models too, otherwise the chainsword wielding priests will pay us a visit to correct us on our adherence to the imperial truth (from the book of Duncan, ch14: “....for he has decreed thou shall always have more models in total than those which are painted with two thin coats”)

Which made me think. As per my tactical order (page 1) I will probably make a squad of light infantry (Hallamite Rangers). How should I differentiate them from my normal infantry? I’ll use anvil parts for continuity but what should I change? I’m thinking maybe keep the shakos but maybe go for a more lightly armoured feel? What do you guys think?

Also been contemplating what a platoon of super heavy infantry might look like. I’m thinking a stormlord (the super heavy part) plus maybe veteran squads armed with a load of Melta guns and heavy flamers, the concept being that they fill a sort of armoured breach taker concept.

Any thoughts welcome! Not particularly bothered about being competitive with this, just fancy a cool project.

For light infantry the torso is probably the easiest differentiator, dropping the shoulder pauldrons would also help give them a light infantry look by comparison :smile.:

Dropping the shoulderpads and helmets is how I'd do it I think. Maybe some small backpacks aswell.

Irene kicks ass!

Great use of the Predator turret. (Nice paint job too!)

Thanks Jud! Alas She looks more menacing than she is, and is yet to survive turn one as a result!

Good work! You just have to slowly indoctrinate those kids until they start helping you paint... Get them on base coating duty.

Already working on it! My eldest is nearly 8 and has a thing for Tau. He’s only young, he’ll learn. Trying to get him to paint some fire warriors at the moment.

Warriorfish and Banjohero, thanks for the comments. I’m thinking I’ll go with armoured arms, short greatcoat legs and shakos, but no pauldrons (is this heresy?) and a hussar style torso. I like the idea of more pouches, backpacks etc but will likely put cloaks on them like the others, so not sure

Looks like a failure in parental duties to me commissar! They must report for re-education. Fear not, your small humans will be properly cared for by the Schola in your absence and raised to be Emperor loving servants of the Imperium as is right and proper. Perhaps if they're talented and work hard they might even join the commissariat..?

I think censure is fair, but I’m not quite ready to turn them into servitors yet! Penal legion, maybe...

For ETL, as well as my actual vow, I’ve promised myself I’d finish a few parts of this army off that have been half painted for a while. Sadly, too half painted to be eligible for the competition.

gallery_95578_13095_115972.jpeg

My Colonel (me?) and a Lord Commissar (part of my vow!)

gallery_95578_13095_134465.jpeg

My sentinel squadron! I love these guys. Although obviously number 3 is prone to plasma related instances of critical existence failure. I like to think of the poor pilot desperately keeping one eye on the plasma heat gauge and being absolutely petrified that somehow the weapon missing it’s target will result in his immolation and the utter destruction of his mount. Slight design flaw, I think

Edited by Colonel Bindoff

Thanks Bjorn!

No painting last couple of days because of work but I have been thinking more about more squads again. I think my proposed light infantry squad (to go with Irene) will look something like this render:

gallery_95578_13095_67792.jpeg

I’m planning to give them all sniper rifles as their main weapon (will just count as normal rifles) and probably plasma special weapons, fielding them as veterans. Tempted by a missile launcher: I know it’s not the most amazing heavy weapon but the launchers themselves look much more man portable than say my auto cannon guys with wheel gun carriages, which fits the light squad aesthetic. What do you guys think? Plenty of pouches, camo cloaks, but no pauldrons and no chest armour. Keeping the look with the shako hats and the armoured arms.

Then there’s these;

gallery_95578_13095_72238.jpeg

Or with different legs;

gallery_95578_13095_39996.jpeg

For a proposed super heavy infantry group. Intend to equip with either lascarbines like my existing guys (but with drum magazines) or the shotguns like this render. And probably loads of meltaguns. What do you all think?

I should clarify that I intend to get a squad of the first picture and possibly a platoon of either picture 2 or picture 3, to go in a stormlord. I’m thinking:

Vanguard detachment:

Cc

Command squad, three Melta guns and a medic

3 vet squads with three Melta guns and a heavy flamer each

Super heavy detachment

A stormlord, 4 sponsons

A baneblade, 2 sponsons

A shadowsword, 2 sponsons

Which is like 1977 points I think. A company of My fluffy super heavy regiment.

They’re weak, but tend to get ignored by opponents more worried about the tanks, leaving a couple of mobile lascannons (and yesterday the plasentinel defied all expectations and survived the battle!). They don’t take a lot of killing - but ultimately it’s still 18w at t6 3+ for the lot, and they don’t degrade with damage. Put a few wounds into a Castellan yesterday and they were mobile enough to threaten linebreaker VPs too.

I think 140pts for the three is reasonable: they seem to have about that sort of impact in most of my games and it’s more varied than taking another russ. I wouldn’t put in a properly killy list, but they’re cool for more casual games.

• 2 weeks later...

Exciting day as it’s Anvil Delivery day! Picked up a squad I’ll use as light infantry, plus some extra bits to make these guys:

gallery_95578_13095_123842.jpeg

The jackal body kit needed a fair bit of trimming to fit the anvil torso and it was easiest to keep the existing arms and legs, but I hope to make them look a bit like motorcycle leathers.