Realistic black vehicle

Stix

The above looks like multiple layers of black shade over a silver base - Nuln dries with that kind of chalky texture that will resemble the above.

Forge world have some guides on painting Iron hands vehicles, but they are more an oily green-black.

As per Kierdale, the above isn't true black - notice how much blacker the imperial eagle on the front of the ship is compared to the hull?

Most likely Leadbelcher with multiple layers of Nuln Oil and FW's Soot weathering powder as well with either Leadbelcher or Dark Iron powder stipled on at the edges. That's just my guess, but I really like it and would love to know myself. FW doesn't always paint their models well but sometimes they do something like this that really impresses me.

For that effect, you really need an oil wash. Controlling the tide marks from Citadel Shades at that scale is more trouble than it’s worth, and you certainly won’t get that look with drybrushing. Maybe airbrushing Tamiya Clear, but I doubt it.

I’d go with W&N Ivory Black, a semi-opaque off-black, with maybe a tiny dab of Burnt Umber for that slight hint of warm, brownish grime.

That is airbrushed over a dark metal base, probably leadbelcher but as it's FW and having talked in depth with them about airbrushing it might not even be GW paint. Vallejo, black grey, German grey and other dark greys of that hue would give a similar look but it's been done in layers to break the colour up.

It also appears to have some sponge chipping with a thinned paint to help the fade too.

The main point though however you go at this is never ever use pure black for the main colour block, it's impossible to shade it deeper. Use dark greys and shade with black.

White is the same principle, only highlight with white and use an off white, cream, blue or grey for the base depending on the effect you want.

• 1 month later...

I seriously doubt this can be achieved with washes and drybrushing. I seriously suspect a few different airbrush layers over a metallic basecoat plus a stippling or sponging technique of some form to achieve the scratched metal surface. Probably very heavy stippling and sponging in different darker grey and brown shades. The metallic parts having a metallic basecoat and stippled with black and brown with a big and really worn brush to achieve that look.

Archived