What Would You Like To See From The Scouring?

bluntblade

I don't think we even need an official scouring series - though I can see the marketing potential.

There are already a decent few books based outside of 41st millennium - Flesh of Cretacia the earliest outside of HH and shorts?

Iron Cage is the obvious one i'd want to see, but I'd also like to see:

- One or two reflecting the vengeful side of the loyalists post-siege e.g. destruction of Colchis and events leading to it.

- Politicking with splitting of the legions

- Maybe early victories and premature deaths of second founding chapters

- Waving the primarchs goodbye in the various ways they go

- Trazyn the Infinite meets young-ish Cawl story (against the back drop of the scouring) - or something else that bridges to 40k

- A story with regretful traitors

- An Ad Mech attempted coup on the back of the Emperor being throned

- Eldar coming along mocking the loyalists for shafting their domination of the galaxy

- Another facet of the 40k universe that we haven't seen before - doesn't have to be major - say another xenos race or something new like the perpetuals were

- Dark Angels obvs - but hopefully not a nurgle aligned Luthur

I'm sure there's a tonne more that the authors could drop on us that would be amazing for this period.

The thing is, characters in-universe refer to "Lutheran" amendments.

Maybe Dreadwing will pick up where those guys are headed. Like they supply Russ and draw blood against the Alpha Legion, but do they then get into the wider war?

I want to see more about the secound founding chapters and their way to get different from their primotenitors.

- Black Templars starting their crusade and Sigismund search at traitors

- the dozens Ultramarine successors which rebuild the imperium

- the salamanders, Raven Gurad rebuild their old legion into a small chapter ...

- the flesh tearers getting even wilder and wilder

- A lot of surviving characters of the Horus Heresy and how they lived after that

So what did Chris really mean then ? I think that is a valid question .

"No doubt there will be many White Scars stories to come, both in the Scouring and beyond..."

He meant what he said. Stories happening in the Scouring isn't the same thing as "The Scouring Series has been confirmed." I've written stories in the Scouring myself.

Incidentally, if the Scouring was planned and confirmed, I wouldn't talk about it either way. It'd be a breach of my many NDAs to weigh in one way or the other. I wouldn't be saying "Nope, it's not planned or confirmed."

I'm sure there'll be a Scouring series, given that we're constantly asked for one. But it's not confirmed, planned, or even been addressed at this point.

So what did Chris really mean then ? I think that is a valid question .

"No doubt there will be many White Scars stories to come, both in the Scouring and beyond..."

“no doubt” isn’t literal, it usually means ‘highly likely’

and “stories” can be anything, not necessarily novels. we’ve had stories set during the unification wars, but that doesn’t mean we’ve had a unification series

no doubt it will happen (lel), but just pointing out you don’t even need context to see this sentence is not necessarily a 100% confirmation

Exactly, thank you.

Well the first years of Black Templars would be nice. How they ended up with no librarians, how Sigismund modes them to his image and how they started worshipping the Emperor.

Also old school purging obviously.

Give us Straight Arrow Sigismund ADB, you gave us his death, now give us his life.

I think Sigismund is likely to show up in more than a single Siege novel for many reasons, but I'd love to do exactly that. It'd be nice to have a crack at that in the final mix.

If Sigismund and Abaddon don't get some sweet screentime during the siege, that'd be quite sad. I feel they've both been underused for the quite important characters they are.

Not together, preferably. Independently. It would be cool if Sigismunds got a little mental list of people he’s personally going to provide a Black Sword Colonoscopy to, but nothing definitive.

Agreed, they definitely shouldn't meet. But some elaboration on this would be cool:

Sigismund stopped within blade reach, but neither of them lifted their weapons. ‘I looked for you,’ he said to my lord, ‘as Terra burned in the fires of your father’s heresy. I hunted for you, day and night. Always lesser men blocked my way. Always they died so that you might live. But I have never stopped searching for you, Ezekyle. Not through all these long years.’

I wouldn't mind them encountering each other somehow...but a duel would feel unnecessary

I feel like the above extract from Black Legion suggests that they didn’t meet on Terra at all, but Sigismund wanted to.

I mean, there's a scene from some great action movie at the edge of my mind, but that works too.

Or maybe I'm thinking the knife fight in Ralph Fiennes' Coriolanus. And while we're on this Shakespire streak, I'd love to see Sigismund fighting like the battle that opens the Fassbender-Kurzel Macbeth.

Archived