Bringing the Redmaw into 8th Edition

Sihtric

Hey folks,

I've put together some rules for Bran Redmaw, based upon the older Forgeworld rules and I updated him to fit in better with 8th edition. Any constructive feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

THE BLOODMAWS

Bran Redmaw’s personal icon is the Bloodied Hunter, for he loves nothing more than to hunt under the full moon. The savagery of his company is legend. Some say the Curse of the Wulfen runs deep within their ranks, for their enemies are often found literally torn to pieces. Bran himself has been seen to attack at the front of a howling pack of Wulfen, and sometimes even succumbs to the Canis Helix himself in the heat of battle. Yet these warriors are also cunning – Bran’s numerous Grey Hunters will often lie in wait to the foe’s rear after the fury of his frontal attack forces their retreat.

WOLF LORD BRAN REDMAW

150 pts / PL 8      M WS BS S T W A Ld Sv

Bran Redmaw    6”  2+  2+ 4  4  5   5  9   3+

The Redmaw      7”  2+  5+ 5  4  5   5  8   3+

WARLORD TRAIT

SAGA OF THE HUNTER: A master of the chase, ever has this hero tracked his prey from the shadows. Such a warrior exemplifies his Primarch’s hunting instincts.

A unit affected by this saga in your Charge phase can charge even if it Advanced earlier in that turn.

DEED OF LEGEND: Successfully charge an enemy unit with your Warlord.

WARGEAR

THE AXE LANGNVAST is an ancient and storied weapon among the Space Wolves, carried by many heroes into uncounted battles.

MASTER-CRAFTED BOLTER, BOLT PISTOL, FRAG & KRAK GRENADES

BELT OF RUSS: Bran Redmaw has a 4+ invulnerable save.

WEAPON                      RANGE    TYPE               STR      AP      D      ABILITIES

The Axe Langnvast         Melee         Melee               +2         -2        1       You can re-roll failed wound rolls for this weapon.

Master-Crafted Bolter     24”             Rapid Fire 1      4           -1        2       -

Bolt Pistol                       12”             Pistol 1              4            0        1        -

Frag Grenades                 6”               Grenade D6       3           0         1       -

Krak Grenades                6”               Grenade 1          6           -1       D3     -

ABILITIES

AND THEY SHALL KNOW NO FEAR: Bran Redmaw can re-roll failed Morale tests.

JARL OF FENRIS: You can re-roll hit rolls of 1 for friendly SPACE WOLVES units within 6” of Bran Redmaw.

CURSE OF THE REDMAW: Since first becoming a Space Wolf Bran has contained the curse of the Wulfen within him, an act of supreme willpower in itself. But, during the heat of battle, when his bloodlust rises, sometimes even his indomitable will cracks and he must succumb to the beast within.

At the start of each controlling player’s Movement phases after the first turn, before moving any units, roll a D6, adding +1 to the result for each friendly unit with the SPACE WOLVES faction that is locked in close combat in Bran Redmaw’s line of sight. On a roll of 5+, Bran Redmaw uses The Redmaw profile for the remainder of the game (his Wounds value remains the same, and he does not regain any lost wounds) and he gains the following special rules: BOUNDING LOPE, DEATH FRENZY, CURSE OF THE WULFEN (HUNT), and CURSE OF THE WULFEN (KILL).

*REDMAW ONLY*

BOUNDING LOPE: The Redmaw can Advance and charge in the same turn, and can re-roll failed charge rolls.

DEATH FRENZY: Roll a D6 each time The Redmaw loses a wound; on a roll of 5+ that wound is not lost. If The Redmaw is slain in the Fight phase, once the unit that slew them has made its attacks, you can attack with The Redmaw before removing him as casualty, even if he have already attacked that phase.

CURSE OF THE WULFEN (HUNT): You can re-roll failed charge rolls for friendly SPACE WOLVES INFANTRY, BIKER and CAVALRY units that are within 6" of The Redmaw at the start of the Charge phase. The range of this ability is doubled to 12" for friendly BLOOD CLAW units.

CURSE OF THE WULFEN (KILL): You can make 1 additional attack for models in friendly SPACE WOLVES INFANTRY, BIKER and CAVALRY units that are within 6" of any unit with this ability when they make their attacks in the Fight phase. The range of this ability is 12" for friendly BLOOD CLAW units. WULFEN are not affected by this ability, nor are units that made a charge this turn while within range of the Curse of the Wulfen (Hunt) ability.

FACTION KEYWORDS

IMPERIUM, ADEPTUS ASTARTES, SPACE WOLVES

KEYWORDS

CHARACTER, INFANTRY, WOLFLORD

It is a nice option and I like the fluff of the options. But I think the tule for the Curse of the Redmaw is a bit obtuse and a hassle to do. Having to check LoS, units in combat, rolling a dice, seems to much. I'd recommend something a bit easier, like D6+turn, add a modifier is Bran is in combat.

I'd also sugest a change to his Axe. I would recommend two profiles lik the Axe of Morkai to add versatility to his melee ones he sucumbs to de curse and bumb the damage to D3 for the standard profile too.

Well done for doing this. Seems a shame to lose his rules completely.

You’ve decided to give him a master crafted bolter. I’ve converted a Bran and also put a bolter on his backpack too.

Nice. I converted a spare Geigor Fell-Handed model for him and thought the bolter already looked really good, so I kept it.

It is a nice option and I like the fluff of the options. But I think the tule for the Curse of the Redmaw is a bit obtuse and a hassle to do. Having to check LoS, units in combat, rolling a dice, seems to much. I'd recommend something a bit easier, like D6+turn, add a modifier is Bran is in combat.

I'd also sugest a change to his Axe. I would recommend two profiles lik the Axe of Morkai to add versatility to his melee ones he sucumbs to de curse and bumb the damage to D3 for the standard profile too.

I like that idea for the Curse rule, that'll likely make it into my next play-test. Thanks Redbeard!

I had considered the change to the axe that you had suggested, still might make it in a play-test one day soon. But I thought that it might be a bit too close to Logan's weapon and thereby, not really unique for him.

Can I suggest that he uses the axe profile of the Great Frost Axe. As a wolf lord he gets a - 1 to hit like a power fist

As redmaw he doesn't and swings it as normal for a wulfen

Also to make the curse a curse, he loses the Warlord trait as redmaw he is too bestial to care about leadership

The Great Frost Axe an interesting idea, and I like it. Thank Loki!

Also, not quite sure what you mean about him losing the warlord trait since it is essentially an ability that the Wulfen have, ergo, an ability that he would have when transforming into the Redmaw. What do you mean about leadership? Like he doesn't pass on the ability via the Deed of Legend after becoming the Redmaw?

Yeah exactly like that. He trades being a better space marine (warlord trait/ aura) for being a better wulfen

Also make it so he HAS to have the leadership trait. Else there is no downsides to the curse cos you would just just make a different character warlord otherwise

Interesting, I like it! Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Is there any modelling ideas you have for Bran Redmaw? I don't really like the old model and I'm less inclined to buy it but I've always loved him as my Great Company. Been putting off his conversion for a long time now.

+COMMAND ENTERED+

*SIREN BLARES*

+THREAD REACTIVATED. STARTUP INITIATED.+

+MAY THE EMPEROR PROTECT+

Well he never actually got a model. The project was scraped and never produced. And there are no official rules currently. That said there is plenty out there for a home brew including the nice set above.

Otherwise I think the only critical aspects of bran are a feral look and a big axe for his non mutated form. Could probably get some decent mileage out of the wulfen box for some of those bits and of course the usual space wolf bling.

Now as for the mutated form. I have always thought the forgeworld skin wolves would do nicely there. Maybe mix in some power armor bits to make it look a bit more scifi and I think it could look cool. Haven't done it personally but sounds good. For outside GW models, warmahordes has Circle of orboros werewolf models and infinity has some in their ariadna range. Tge infinity ones are already more scifi looking and might be a good base, but I believe they are metal. Hope this helps.

Well he never actually got a model. The project was scraped and never produced. And there are no official rules currently. That said there is plenty out there for a home brew including the nice set above.

Otherwise I think the only critical aspects of bran are a feral look and a big axe for his non mutated form. Could probably get some decent mileage out of the wulfen box for some of those bits and of course the usual space wolf bling.

Now as for the mutated form. I have always thought the forgeworld skin wolves would do nicely there. Maybe mix in some power armor bits to make it look a bit more scifi and I think it could look cool. Haven't done it personally but sounds good. For outside GW models, warmahordes has Circle of orboros werewolf models and infinity has some in their ariadna range. Tge infinity ones are already more scifi looking and might be a good base, but I believe they are metal. Hope this helps.

Definitely a surplus of ideas. :biggrin.: Thanks, brother!

Modelwise there is a "wolfen lord" from wargame exclusive: https://wargameexclusive.com/shop/space-warriors/imperial-wolfen-lord/

...but he got some weird legs and I don't like the sword either. Still thought I'd mention him.

Isn't he like Primarch size, bit large for redmaw.

Here are two links to modelling idea-pot:

Bran Redmaw human form conversion - http://space-wolf-way.blogspot.com/2016/07/bran-redmaw.html

Count-as Shield-dread from Warmahorde's Circle of Oroboros werewolf - http://space-wolf-way.blogspot.com/2017/10/blog-post_21.html

Worth looking as conversion process shown in details.

Edited by mercbat

Always love people's takes on Bran. I have been running the Blooded Hunter as my great company since 2E. Good stuff!

I was flipping through the ancient tome yesterday, drinking a glass of wine (yeha I know!!) and thought of good old times - and that table of icons.. Actually thinking about using the Redmaws... ;) But I am afraid I am too much of a Ragnar fan to let go of him..:blush.:

@ Sithric, I do not know enough about the old rules but looks like a good effort. Is there actually a model for him??