Cadian Retribution Crusade

Arganias

Hello everyone!

I'm just starting out with our favorite Eternally Crusading Sons of Dorn.

I wanted to theme my army on a crusade dedicated to fighting the forces of Chaos where ever they are found to seek bloody retribution upon them. I took some liberties with the color scheme; the red on their weapons is to remind them of their oath to obliterate the Traitor where ever they are found, while the white face plates are in remembrance for Cadia and those who died defending it.

I got the idea for the weapons and face plate colors from the US Marines in how the 'blood stripe' on their dress blue uniform for NCOs was in remembrance of the NCOs who died (at high rates) at Chapultepec Castle during the Mexican-American War. Also some inspiration drawn from the Order of Our Martyred Lady changing their robes from black to red in remembrance of the sisters lost at Armageddon.

A test run of my color scheme, they still need some work and clean up, but this will be the jist of the layout.

gallery_100666_14871_204214.jpg

A Crusader Squad that's Almost Ready for Paint

gallery_100666_14871_285341.jpg

Some pictures of my ambitious project for an upcoming Mega Battle, if I paint it I can bring it for free! I will see if I can honor my vow!

A Reference of size and what it looked like before I put the gubbins on

gallery_100666_14871_164311.jpg

And posyt Gubbining

gallery_100666_14871_134963.jpggallery_100666_14871_154978.jpggallery_100666_14871_244219.jpg

This bad boy has since been primed and I will post my progress once I get some proper paint on it.

Why does the Typhon (and the Cerberus heavy tank destroyer, which shares its hull) have such weak sponson-mounted weapons? It's based on the Spartan, whose sponsons bear quad lascannons. No room? The Spartan has room for 25 Marines; sacrifice the transport capacity, and you should have room for 16 lascannons' worth of generators (or 16 heavy bolters' worth of ammo magazines, if you think quad heavy bolters are more useful).

I'm fortunate enough to be a apart of a group that do narrative campaigns roughly weekly. I have been running the current one which was inspired by World War I, and true to form no one has actually made any significant gains in territory.

This map shows the last bit of progress before we started fighting over some strategic resources for the final mega battle (things like free fliers and titans).

gallery_100666_14871_101291.jpg

Only chaos was able to break through one of the lines, but this was the 12th week so we decided to start working towards the mega battle for the ultimate fate of the planet. There was constant gains and serious loses for both teams, it was truly a trench warfare slog!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Cadian Retribution Crusades are a semi-official designation given to any Black Templar crusade that has been formed with the sole intention of engaging the forces of Chaos and utterly destroying them in total war. The weapons of these crusaders are painted red in an oath of blood to destroy the traitor and demon utterly, while their face plates are painted white in remembrance of those who died in defense of the Cadian Gate, not just the Templars who fell but all of its defenders.

This record focuses on one such Branch of a Cadian Retribution fleet operating north of Ultramar. Currently dubbed the Oberath Crusade after the world in which they are currently engaged. A once proud Imperial fortress world had been corrupted by the forces of Nurgle, but the recently ended Plague Wars had brought other followers of Chaos to circle the wounded pocket empire for their own gains. While the bulk of the fighting forces are still Deathguard and various warbands of Nurgle Daemons, Thousand Sons, Khorne Daemons, and a well equipped Traitor Guard armored regiment have entrenched behind the walls of the worlds mightiest fortification, now dubbed Karsinogenus Keep.

The Oberath Crusade was declared towards the end of the conflict as the 82nd Elysian withdrew as the hostile environment and prolonged fighting rendered it combat ineffective. The Oberath Crusade would be joining the Salamander’s 3rd Company, Sons of Ultramar Task Force, elements from the Martian Mechanicum, and the Deathwing, as well as a suspected successor chapter of Space Wolves known as the Band of the Red Paw. The Crusade’s entrance into the war was not glorious as the Thousand Son’s drew the loyalists into a devastating ambush, but in a subsequent engagement took vengeance upon them.Since then the Crusade has engaged and defeated powerful Armored Company of Traitor Guard at a Chaos temple.

Another notable engagement saw the Templars cleansing a Nurgle Daemon infestation that was supported by elements of Traitor Guard tanks that saw the liberation of a God-Engine for a pending massive engagement for the fate of Oberath. Outnumbered, the High Marshal himself took to a Stormraven gunship, along with the finest Sword Bretheren Terminators, the Ironclad-Ancient Jomorthius and Chief-Apothecary Toma Braun. Helbrecht jumped from the gunship and immediately slew the Daemon Prince leading the daemons with the rage and zeal one would expect. Hordes of Plague Bearers assaulted them, as well as sorcerers and daemonic leaders. Helbrecht eventually was wounded as was Braun, but the Terminators eventually seized the key control node for the Titan Hangar, the Tanks of the traitors unable to get enough clear shots as the entire battle bogged down in close combat. The Stormraven destroying one of the tanks, while the other was able to disable Ancient Jormothius.

The Oberath Crusade is currently preparing for a final engagement deploying the Typhon Thunder of Sigenandus in hopes to break the siege and escape the world before it is destroyed by a dark ritual. Currently both the Imperials and the forces of Chaos are digging in along a powerful reality breach that appears to represent the will of all four Chaos Gods. More to follow…

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the map and rules I made for the mega battle if you are interested!

gallery_100666_14871_181991.jpg

Rules

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YUyeG4SgzHqYVGXc96UtAXZfDERoQmJcx-0mOTObdrA/edit?usp=sharing

Background and setting for the battle

The Imperials have yet to break into Karsinogenus keep and thus the ruinous powers at the Pestilence Chapel have prepared a dark ritual that will recreate the world in their image. Four points of power have emerged in the Suicide Gap, each a representation of the four Chaos Gods influence in the fractured barrier of reality and the Immaterium. Daemons run rampant in every corner of the world and only one fortified Imperial position remains and has be consolidated with the heaviest assets available to them, and all man power left on the world. Chaos has likewise entrenched their most powerful monsters and daemon tainted machines. Mortals peer over the edge of their trenches at traitor and mutant. Small patrols feeling out the other side before being shot to pieces or forced to flee. Barbed wires, tank traps, and craters litter the space between them.

The Pestilence Chapel, despite its name has seen the efforts of all manner of Sorcerer representing the finest minds in Daemonology. The heavy warmachines have been sent to the front, confident in their victory. However, the Pestilence Chapel is not undefended and the Imperium attempts to launch a desperate raid to disrupt the insane ritual that seeks to see Oberath plunged into eternal madness. The turbulence caused by it forcing the Imperial fleet to withdraw from orbit, only the most daring vessels remaining close enough to support the ground forces in a limited capacity.

This will be the final battle for the fate of Oberath. Will it become a Daemon world at the foot of Ultramar's doorstep? Or will it be cleansed in fire, left a baren, cracked rock? Only the coming battle will decide the fate of not only Karsinogenus Keep, but Oberath itself...

Oh Holy Terra, that is one heck (not sure if I can actually say what I'd like to) of a narrative. I'd like to see the fluff written for it someday, regardless of the outcome. It sounds like it would make for an interesting set up.

You've dome a great job so far, and look forward to seeing more of your work.

This is extremely cool.

I hope to one day habe a store near me where people do awesome narrative campaigns like this.

You are living in the 4th biggest city in Germany, in an area where 1000 of players exist ... you just have to search a club or anything like that.

Sadly I havent live in Cologne sind 2013.

I'm on a one year kiternship right now where I switch locations every 4 month. So yeah lots of moving.

But since I will be near Basel, Switzerland next I hope to participate in one of those 3 month killteam campaigns they talked about on warhammer community. And/or play some people just for fun in 40k.

Sadly I havent live in Cologne sind 2013.

I'm on a one year kiternship right now where I switch locations every 4 month. So yeah lots of moving.

But since I will be near Basel, Switzerland next I hope to participate in one of those 3 month killteam campaigns they talked about on warhammer community. And/or play some people just for fun in 40k.

i understand... you are on a crusade :wink:

@Bjorn Firewalker- I have thought about that too, but I do have to agree that it's basically firing a car sized shell at someone and has to store a number of those. That being said, the Las-cannons are very fiddly.

@Brokejaw- I like to have meaning on my models since the Astartes are really into tradition and iconography. As for the red casings, I'm glad you like them too! I just think that so much black kind of drowns the models out if they don't have a tabard (looking at you Primaris bros).

@Marshall Vespasian- It took me about 10 years of being in the hobby to find a group of people that are willing to plan armies long term for themed campaigns. This is the first narrative campaign we've tried out for 8th, it's been going on since the end of March and will end September 8th with the Mega Battle. If you can organize or find a group, don't let it go!

@Sword Brother Ryan- Thank you! I love lore and I have always loved adding my own narratives to 40k, and this campaign. I had played Elysian IG for most of it, but pulled them since they needed some work and planning due to them being unsupported. I had a decade of SM bits, and have started and stopped Marines a couple times in recent years, but now I am proud to join the ranks of Dorn's Angriest.

Now... for what you all are really here for...

Progress!

gallery_100666_14871_232900.jpg

gallery_100666_14871_296555.jpggallery_100666_14871_163114.jpg

As a quick aside--because I have hobby ADD-- I lost the canopy to my Stormraven some time ago. I traded it to a friend and awhile later it got traded back to me and somewhere along the way the clear plastic canopy was lost. So, in response I had to improvise with my huge amount of bits and came up with this!

gallery_100666_14871_174300.jpg

gallery_100666_14871_380706.jpggallery_100666_14871_284042.jpg

Like so many little oddities in my army this will now have a lore reasoning behind it. I was going to say that the enclosed turret was to house more advance sensors on a crusade on a night world. It would have been pointless for the servitor to try and optically acquire targets so with machine spirit assistance and advance data telemetry they made this modification. Maybe this happened during the Indomitus Crusade since Gman was handing out tech like candy. The top part with the lions could be in homage to a marshal that used it. Maybe he could me Marshal Filabrand "The Lion of Myredia" recognized for his valor and zeal, leading the crusade from the front-- martyring himself in the closing action while holding his ground long enough for the rest of his House to seize a vital point from the Night Lords!

The Templars have proven pretty resourceful in the past creating a whole new class of Land Raider and guarding it jealously for some time. I imagine a purpose built sensor array to better fight on a night world is not too far out of the questions. Maybe it could have acted like a JSTARS-like platform.

It's battle ready! I do plan to add some details to the banners, but I wanted to have Helbrecht and the Stormraven ready by Saturday, since apparently I'm going to be directing my team in the battle, with Helbrecht being the Supreme Commander.

gallery_100666_14871_85896.jpg

gallery_100666_14871_49466.jpg

gallery_100666_14871_155391.jpg

I already shared this in the Knightfall thread, but here is my Vow! From left to right--

Marshal with Power Fist and Combi-Grav, 6 man Reiver Squad, 5 man assault terminators with TH/SS, High Marshal Helbrecht, and an Emperor's Champion.

gallery_100666_14871_74103.jpg

A small update today, I got a little work done today. I just touched up this old model that was apart of a distant Executioners project that didn't get off the ground. This was supposed to be a Thulsa Kane, but he now finds service in my Crusade of Vengeance!

gallery_100666_14871_187650.jpg

gallery_100666_14871_235749.jpg

gallery_100666_14871_336217.jpg

The Beginings of my vow for Knightfall... High Marshal Helbrecht! He recently saw action in an apocalypse game as my team's 'warmaster'. We unfortunately lost, but the Templar's didn't falter! I'll send some pics and a better description soon!

For now enjoy our beloved Chapter Master!

gallery_100666_14871_262329.jpg

gallery_100666_14871_197208.jpg

gallery_100666_14871_156930.jpg

gallery_100666_14871_106026.jpg

Helbrecht is well done. Whose skulls hang from his shoulder? Fallen battle-brothers, their skulls borne so they may bear witness as the High Marshal avenges them, and be honored? Slain enemies, borne so their degenerate souls may bear witness as Helbrecht destroys all they hold dear, and despair?

I like to think it's his predecessors, the last couple of High Marshals, or some High Marshals of note. There might be a reliquary where Helbrecht can go and and adorn himself with those skulls, kind of like fetishes of saints to armor his soul!

Pictures are still forthcoming, unfortunately the Imperials lost and are being houded into the Pantogia system! We will make our stand there!

Below is the post-mega battle summary of how the campaign ended and my two part epilogue from the perspective of the Black Templars! I'll have pictures of the battle soon and can go over a broad summary of how the game went.

The Fate of Oberath

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lcleNZek_HXctnGGhmH8f9iBGcoj7TWy-u8HwOxxG5s/edit?usp=sharing

Part 1 Templar Epilogue

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ctwx90E2Ikh7f3mh30l116FOBQ7JKrlxXOymEMcu2Og/edit?usp=sharing

Part 2 Templar Epilogue

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qmH9KUyEuxi6EIfYotsG1_honmlxudaFH4p0YVTRyaY/edit?usp=sharing

Archived