Unit of the Week: Primaris Chaplain

Jolemai

Welcome to the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the unique units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Primaris Chaplain
sml_gallery_62972_11847_121524.jpg
Primaris Chaplain, Anamnesis

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a Primaris Chaplain?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples?
  • Footslog or transport? Suitable for Warlord duties?
  • Suitable candidates for Litanies of Hate?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems?

Over to you

Compared to standard Chaplain he costs 13pts more. Definitely better pistol, +1 attack and wound. But cannot take JP and so cannot keep up with our assault elements.

I would say he is not worth it.

I'd say a primaris chaplain is better at bolstering counter charge or defensive units tbh. Technically would go well alongside terminators but needs a way to get to where the terminators are since he can't share a transport with them.

• 3 weeks later...

How about loading a primaris chaplain and reivers with combat blades in a Repulsor? I know about the cost of the repulsor, but considering a full primaris army. Or instead of reivers to use intercessors? They can double-tap their rifles and still hit strong enough, and can have a power sword on the sergeant.

How about loading a primaris chaplain and reivers with combat blades in a Repulsor? I know about the cost of the repulsor, but considering a full primaris army. Or instead of reivers to use intercessors? They can double-tap their rifles and still hit strong enough, and can have a power sword on the sergeant.

That's a lot of points just to make a few S4 AP0 attacks a little bit better. If you don't drop the Reiver via one of their two drop methods you can just as well take Intercessors, really.

So it boils down to "Is a Chaplain a worthwhile support for Intercessors?" which I'll have to answer with: mmmh not really.

Intercessors aren't great in melee and re-rolling hit rolls won't change that. Ideally you want to keep them within 15" of your enemy and only charge a unit to bind it for a while thanks to your superior T4 W2 Sv3+ so it can't shoot your other stuff while your Sergeant slowly grinds through that unit.

I'd rather put a Chaplain with some Aggressors if I had to take one since they'd benefit from the re-roll for their powerfists a lot more.

Archived