Legio Nikator (Sons of the Temple) and Legio Validus (Amber Kings)

apologist

Coo, cheers all. Marshal Loss, the names are loose glosses of battles of the Diadochi. While I like the idea of the High Gothic names just being translations of Low Gothic ones, I also like the opportunity to have 'proper names' and nicknames – just like a pedigree animal will often have a long official name but end up being called Spot.

+++

+Gaugamela+

b.jpg

Cool choice of names Apologist! :lol:

When you say Diadochi, are you referring to Alexander the Great heirs? If so, it’s interesting that the term used in English is Diadochi (inheritors) as the word in Greek is Epigonoi (decendents). Of course, decedents may imply blood relation, which was not the case for Alexander and as such Diadochi would be a more correct term to use anyway. However “Epigonoi” or “Epigoni” is the standard term in Greek. Phew...

Back on topic...

So what will it take to see your fantastic work in Titans of the Heresy? :P

'm a Diadoch historian - I get a kick seeing these names in the wild. You won't hear any quarrel from me! :tongue.:

Ah, cool! It's a period of history I'm enjoying reading about currently – which is what probably inspired the naming scheme. Initially, I wanted to bring in a subtle Persian/Babylonian/Akkadian feel, but ended up erring back towards more traditional Latinate High Gothic, so as not to be too egregious. This seemed a nice halfway house.

Cool choice of names Apologist! :laugh.:

When you say Diadochi, are you referring to Alexander the Great heirs? If so, it’s interesting that the term used in English is Diadochi (inheritors) as the word in Greek is Epigonoi (decendents). Of course, decedents may imply blood relation, which was not the case for Alexander and as such Diadochi would be a more correct term to use anyway. However “Epigonoi” or “Epigoni” is the standard term in Greek. Phew...

Back on topic...

So what will it take to see your fantastic work in Titans of the Heresy? :tongue.:

Ta! Interesting to hear. Marshal Loss is probably better-placed to answer – I'm very much an amateur historian – but yes, as I understand things, Diadochi refers to the four generals who inherited Alexander's lands, while the Epigonoi were the descendants of their generals.

As to your second question – I had intended to over the weekend; but all signed-up now :)

Liking the name and pose - very nice!

Cheers :)

Had a little test game with Bob Hunk last night; a little Legio Nikator civil war. I took Manifest Law to take on Old Spiteful and Megasthenes Dura. Since Law has a power fist, I pushed power to locomotors and trusted in the stars to get me across the table safely.

d.jpg

Shooting damage built up, with Law's shields coming down in turn three. Some lucky repair rolls and unfortunate spread of damage kept Law bearing down on Old Spiteful as Dura encircled the charging Warlord...

c.jpg

Ramming speed! In turn 5, the Warlord – shields down, plasma cannon disabled, and cratered with damage – finally caught up with the retreating Reaver. The fist swung back and targetted the head – repeatedly battering it; injuring both the Moderati and the Princeps.

All Titans remained standing by the end of the game. While Old Spiteful was all but out for the count, I don't think Manifest Law would have survived the following turn, as Megasthenes Dura was undamaged and right on his tail.

Great fun, and I'm looking forward to more games.

yeah, judging from the battle reports I've seen of AT, the most I've ever seen is one Titan death in any given game, but usually it is just "at the end if the game the titans are pretty beat up, maybe one more round would have killed one or two of them" type of scenario.

I wonder if that's intentional on the rules writers' part, to make actually killing a Titan special, but at the same time it makes Mortis's special rule that gives their titans 1 reroll per each kill they personally make, when if they score any kills it will be towards the end of the game anyway and they won't really get to take advantage of it.

Entirely possible – they've gone to great lengths to make the Titans feel appropriately massive. With that said, I do think that may come down a lot to the small size of the game – had we had a full maniple, I think there would have been a lot more potential for FOEDEATH.

@RipOffProductions 

Actually you can kill of Titans easily if you either focus on one at a time (starting with the smaller ones) or going into cc in general (knight lancers do some serious damage!) where you can pick a segment without negative modifiers to hit and potentially use already done structural damage to your advantage for easy kills. 

@RipOffProductions 

Actually you can kill of Titans easily if you either focus on one at a time (starting with the smaller ones) or going into cc in general (knight lancers do some serious damage!) where you can pick a segment without negative modifiers to hit and potentially use already done structural damage to your advantage for easy kills. 

I am yet to see a battle report featuring either Warhounds or Knight Lancers, and none featuring melee combat besides the Questorus Knights.

@RipOffProductions

With quite some games under my wings, this is true. Killing anyone on the first two turns, besides vaporizing knights who wandered out of cover, is hard but doable and often the death spiral begins in earnest on turn three if there is aggression on the board. Warhounds are especially driving in this regard, running close and dying to return fire having snagged their targets. Kills will come as players get familiar with their lists.

Also, nice work Apologist! That orange is so dark yet vibrant at the same time, I dig it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Dura-Yurobus is on the painting table:

d.jpg

I've really been feeling my way around these models; diving in and out and developing areas in isolation. Quite an organic approach, which has advantages and disadvantages.

e.jpg

The panels of off-white were fun. Once a flat surface was achieved and allowed to dry, I drew a brush loaded with sepia ink and flow improver downwards, leaving these attractive streaks of weathering. While wet, I rinsed and dried the brush to lift out pooling areas to avoid backruns. 

h.jpg

Bright and colourful and cartoony! The chainfist panelling is unweathered; showing how the armour looks before I go in with the inks and so forth. I used this area to test out the Legio symbol, a hand grasping a crown. I worked freehand, adjusting as I went, so it's not quite right here. I think I'll sketch in onto the carapaces first to make sure it's more symmetrical.

i.jpg

The pauldron and head here show a little highlighting and weathering, while the carapace has received another layer. Building it up gradually like this allows me a bit of control over how weathered the final result appears.

b.jpg

A rear shot shows how some panels are more developed than others. I think I need to incorporate more of the white areas here and there. I'm also in two minds on whether to build up heat glow etc. around the exhausts.