Legio Nikator (Sons of the Temple) and Legio Validus (Amber Kings)

apologist

Titans are looking really great.

On the subject of titans not dying, there’s definitely a trick to killing them. I’ve tabled opponents in a couple of games. However, the best way to kill titans is not obvious – in fact it’s kind of counter-intuitive.

In a 2.5k game recently I got six engine kills and took out four Cerastus knights. Of the titan kills, three killing blows were from vulcan mega bolters, one from an apocalypse missile launcher, one from a macro gatling and one from a plasma blastgun. The knights mostly went to sunfury fire at maximal, having resisted a lot of gatling and macro gatling fire.

The point here is that the killing blows against titans were coming from low-strength, multi-shot, accurate weapons. These are what you want to land targeted shots on already damaged locations, and that’s how you kill titans. Something like a bellicosa or a melta cannon in the same situation is likely to hit a different location, leaving a titan covered in holes and with various broken weapons, but still upright.

Low-strength guns are fine at this point, because the bonuses from structural damage push the strength way up, to the point where even a S4 gun can hurt any part of even a warlord. But first, you need to hit it in the right place.

The best way to drop a titan is therefore to take its shields down with dakka, then hit it a few times with something high-strength (I find plasma best for this because you get a lot of hits) and then switch back to the dakka to shoot wherever the plasma landed again.

A major advantage for dakka weapons is that they get bonuses to hit – which is otherwise very rare. +1 to hit gives you targeted hits on a 4+ instead of 5+, resulting in 50% more hits landing. Usually this happens within 8” but a lot of titan kills can be scored at surprisingly long range by sniping with apocalypse missiles.

Knights are different because there are never bonuses to strength from structural damage or the direction you’re firing at, and because their ion shields are very good against low-strength hits. Many people seem to think that dakka is the best approach to killing them, because in most games you use dakka to clear out the little guys, but actually that’s wrong. A gatling blaster or vulcan mega bolter will have a pretty negligible effect on even Questoris knights. On the other hand a bellicosa, melta or plasma blastgun can take out a banner in one go. You’ll ignore the ion shields and have a good chance to land crits, blowing knights away in one hit.

(Ears belatedly prick up) 

Heh, in a good way, I hope? It's been a while since I've posted here, mainly because there's not been a great deal of progress until last weekend. I have also done a little experimentation with a bit of traditional heraldry on Old Spiteful:

b.jpg

This kneepad was a fun bit of freehand, based on heraldic 'furs'. Tempted to expand the use of this – perhaps on the carapace of one of my Titans, or perhaps on all the white areas... would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Edited by Apologist

Dura-Europos is a great name for a titan - more titans should be named after cities of antiquity! - and the kneepad pattern looks wonderful. I find the complexity of some of titan heraldry can emphasise the scale by making it clear that it was painted at a human or at any rate not-quite-titan scale. Works for the banners, works here.

Very nice freehand there and I applaud the use of old heraldic devices. There's plenty out there for inspiration and I considering doing something like that on mine.

Dura-Europos is a great name for a titan - more titans should be named after cities of antiquity! - and the kneepad pattern looks wonderful. I find the complexity of some of titan heraldry can emphasise the scale by making it clear that it was painted at a human or at any rate not-quite-titan scale. Works for the banners, works here.

Thanks, and I agree ~ breaking things up helps to sell the scale of the things.

You’re a good freehander, I admire your skill.

Very kind, ta!

Any plans for turquoise areas?

Progress looks good so far. :thumbsup:

Yes, but much smaller than I'd originally intended. I went all round the houses with the turquoise, and I just couldn't get a balance I liked. It'll still be used, but as a minor accent.

OK, so divided rebels. Intriguing.

I always like the shades of grey between goodies and baddies and wanted to do something a bit different; having them effectively as traitors – but unreliable – seems to fit in well. Opens up some nice avenues for neo-mysticism etc.

Very nice freehand there and I applaud the use of old heraldic devices. There's plenty out there for inspiration and I considering doing something like that on mine.

Ta very much. If you like that, I hope you'll like the finished result...

+ Old Spiteful – Senex Codomannus +

a.jpg

+ Brooding, surly and recalcitrant, the Codomannus is the last remnant of Legio Nikator's original Titans; the remainder being lost in battle, laid to rest, or ritually dismembered to provide parts for others during the lean days of the Masscal campaigns. +

+ Dramatis Personae: the crew of the Senex Codomannus +

+ Granted the honorific Senex to mark its age and significance, the Engine is more often known as 'Old Spiteful' to its enemies, owing to its dogged pursuit of exclusionary kills. The Codomannus' machine spirit is wary and suspicious, and highly demanding of its crew. +

r.jpg

+ The current Princeps is Teutates Polassar, a senior Princeps who habitually leads battlegroups of the Legio in their walks. +

+ Gaunt, balding and unprepossessing, Polassar has a keen eye for weakness – both in his prey, and in his crew – and a ruthless streak well-suited to the belligerent Reaver Battle Titan. +

v.jpg

+ Adept Xhao Non, Enginseer Primus, has attended Codommanus for a decade, serving well under Polassar's direction. +

+ Like all of Sumer-Nikator's techpriest caste, Non spends an enormous amount of time on neo-cartomancy, relying on scryservitors and withinlookmen underlings to influence and enhance his practical duties +

+++

+ Painting Senex Codomannus +

c.jpg

+ What a treat! I loved the original Reaver model, and when the 28mm scale Reaver came out, I nearly buckled. I couldn't justify the expense, however, so my plans for colour schemes and decorations have sat for the best part of ten years. When the new version of Adeptus Titanicus was released, I couldn't wait for the Reavers – and was not disappointed. Really beautiful kits, and very enjoyable to paint. +

+ The overall idea was to use a very painterly approach, crashing together some different periods of history to give a sense of continuation. +

d.jpg

+ Mediaeval Byzantium gave me the inspiration for the emblem on top. I'll likely add a scroll beneath with the Titan's name, just to finish it off. My initial plan for the Legio was to use terracotta and turquoise, but here the turquoise is relegated to the devotional scene on the carapace. I've painted this quite softly using a fairly high key as I didn't want the decoration to be the focal point – just another decoration on this ancient beast. +

e.jpg

+ The later Middle Ages gave me another source of inspiration, and this sort of design (based on heraldic 'counter-ermine fur') pops up here and there over the Titan. It's relatively simple freehand; requiring careful placement more than anything. +

f.jpg

+ Some large areas of white were added, as the terracotta/orange was far too dominant. These were weathered with a combination of inks and flow medium; heavily applied, then lifted away selectively with a dry brush to create the patination and drip patterns. +

g.jpg

+ I wanted to keep some bold areas of colour, so I have kept most of the decoration to the lower legs – after all, that's the bit that the enemy will mostly see. However, that'd look a bit dull from above – which the players of the game will see – so I added some detail here, too. +

h.jpg

+ There are a few refinements I'd like to tackle at a later date – the scroll work I mentioned above, weapon banners and general refinement, but I think Old Spiteful is ready for war. +

b.jpg

That looks superb! I love the use of different heraldic influences. They are subtle and really complement the overall look of the model. I also really like the weathering and the overall grubby look of a machine that's been on extended deployment.

That looks superb! I love the use of different heraldic influences. They are subtle and really complement the overall look of the model. I also really like the weathering and the overall grubby look of a machine that's been on extended deployment.

Ta very much. I was worried it was going to look a bit patchwork, but the combo of influences seems to have gelled after all. :)

Pretty

Thank you!

Wow, the freehand gets even crazier.

*grumbles*

Ha ha! I do love a bit of freehand. Thanks for the kind words.

That's ace. The orange and heraldry work so well, like it's giant medieval Knight. 

Great – glad it's worked. Let's hope I can do the same for his brethren...

Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous! :thumbsup: I love the Byzantium vignette and the heraldry, really cool.

Bit of an off-the-cuff idea, that vignette, but works well, doesn't it?

Excellent work on the Titan and his crew.

Thanks. Working up the crew really helps me build some identity with the model.

Utterly wow - superb work!

+++

f.jpg

*WARHORN NOISES*

Warlord Titans. Iconic, awesome, and colossal. This latter point means they take a lot of painting! To break things up and keep things interesting, I'm hopping around a bit, and developing on the fly. This can end up messy, but as long as you keep your paints thin, you can always work over the top. It's the joy of acrylics.

Battle Titans – that it, Warlords and Reavers – are the iconic units of the game for me. Knights and Scout Titans are all very well, but I want to see clashes between these great land-battleships!

+ Coropedion +

Since we last saw him, Coropedion's received a new head, and the turquoise areas have been replaced with some white sections. Turquoise will be reintroduced, but as an accent colour.

d.jpg

Not a huge amount to say here, other than it's a gradual slog from base coat to the finished effect. It's easy to get disheartened, but keep a vision of the final effect in your mind, and keeping going towards it.

In particular, I find it helpful to pause occasionally with big projects like this. Focus in on a panel or two (like the head, knee and thigh here) and work those up to completion. It provides an enjoyable break from the monotony of base-coating, and gets you one step closer to completion.

With this approach, there is the risk of accidentally overpainting or mucking up completed areas, but roll with it. Allow it to dry, than work back over – perhaps even incorporate the marks. This is particularly appropriate for the ancient Engines of the Adeptus Mechanicus, and is a sort of back-door way into weathering.

e.jpg

The armament here is purely for the pict-capture – I remove the magnetised bits while I'm working. My plan is to get the main chassis of this pair of Titans game-ready – weapons can follow along afterwards.

a.jpg

Here's an example of a completed area. Working a focal point like the head up to completion really gives character to the piece; and encourages you to finish it. Note the use of stormy blue for the eye – complementary to the terracotta – and also that the surrounding area has been knocked back; painted very simply with deep gunmetal and black. This gives tonal contrast with the bright silver trim and piercing blue eye; building to give a sense of impact.

+++

+ Ipsus Granicus – the Manifest Law +

I like the pose on Coropedion, but (whisper it low), the Manifest Law is my favourite. Stomping forward, kicking buildings out of the way... what's not to love about this grouchy thing?

g.jpg

Painted with the same approach as CoropedionIpsus Granicus has considerably more white areas at the moment. The opportunity for variety is a brilliant aspect of the heraldic schemes typical of the Titan Legions.

h.jpg

The large panels are just screaming out for some freehand and super-detailing, just like the Senex Codomannus I finished recently (see above).

The expansion sprue GW released – with the fist, laser blasters etc. – is lovely: it's no coincidence that my first two Warlords sport the two expansion heads. Ipsus Granicus in particular has my favourite head, reminiscent of the 80s originals.

b.jpg

As with Coropedion, I've worked up the head. Again, deep dark sockets surround bright blue eyes. I've incorporated some gold into the trim here; as the sheer amount of it meant sticking to silver was visually confusing.

I agree about the posing of Granicus (nice reference to Alexander there, btw). The blue eyes on Granicus really add to overall sense of menace too and I love the way that the fist is posed.

Gorgeous! Once again :thumbsup:

Too kind :)

What's your orange? I'm having a devil of time basing orange on a knight.

The much-missed Solar Macharius Orange. I found a combo of Squig Orange and Lugganath Orange (borrowed from a mate during a group painting session) will give roughly comparable coverage, but the hue is more vibrant.

That is quite awesome!

Thanks!

I agree about the posing of Granicus (nice reference to Alexander there, btw). The blue eyes on Granicus really add to overall sense of menace too and I love the way that the fist is posed.

Cheers. I've been working some more on him:

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg