Legio Nikator (Sons of the Temple) and Legio Validus (Amber Kings)

apologist

Hah! I recognise that Warbringer. I shamelessly copied the pose from a random interweb picture I saw. Thanks for the inspiration :wink:

Glad it was helpful – would love to see a pic, if you’d like to share? For anyone else giving it a try, my tutorial/build notes for the Nemesis Warbringer are on my blog here. The tutorial is focussed on the Warbringer, but the principles apply more generally.

Edited by apologist

• 3 weeks later...

Egads, that must have taken you a while. Fair play though, I'm the same with stencils. I'd rather do my Diamonds/Checks freehand. I'd like to grab an airbrush but mainly for base coats.

It's not as time-consuming as I'd initially thought; probably because the patterns tend to be restricted to relatively small areas, or as part of split heraldic plates. 

I had not previously been a fan of that head, but you've really made it shine. Bravo!

Thanks! I've fond memories of command head 2 from the original AT game, so it's lovely to paint up a modern version. Variant heads give so much opportunity to develop character within a Legio – whether it's making each Titan individual or purposefully restricting yourself a one particular style across a force.

Excellent work on the Titan with a castle turret around his head. Is anyone reminded of the character Trap Jaw, from Masters of the Universe?

Ha, yes – a Titan Legion in magenta, green, and blue would look very striking! 

Further work on a potential Extergimus Maniple:

C61E64EB-59EB-4444-94F8-DB11B0858B65.jpe

BD21CA68-A845-4A18-AE4E-E43F848C1071.jpe

...and the Corsair Maniple is coming along well too:

3B5E3B23-514E-4B39-A9DB-FB4AA344175B.jpe

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This isn't an abandonment of the Sons of the Temple, but I did decide to pull my Legio Validus Warmaster out of the sloughs of despond and fix an error I'd made with the foot. He's been sitting forlornly in the cupboard of opportunity while I worked up the courage to tear off his foot and fix it so that hthe toe armour plates can be replaced.

Legion Validus are my old Legion that pre-date the new Adeptus Titanicus. As noted above, a mate of mine is interested in gaming, but doesn't have much enthusiasm for modelling, so I thought this was a perfect excuse to bring the Legio out of mothballs and into the new scale.

40684B6F-CDC3-475E-8B8E-6C253794D4C1.jpe

+noosphericexload commencing+

+ Legio Manifest +

Title: The Legio Validus Ordo Titanicus

Militaris Grade: Secundus

Patent: Post-Unification, M32

Warden Domain(s): Antona Antecedent (sub.)

Cognomen: Amber Kings

Allied War Houses: None

Allegiance: Fidelitas Totalis

Tincture: Amber with cerulean charges.

Charge: Arrow; symbolising directness and swiftness of response.

+dataspool discharged+

+++

Edited by apologist

9A644EF4-C3C2-4508-85A5-8E64BE987FD2.jpeg

With an unanticipated spare couple of hours, I managed to quickly get the base metallics down yesterday. I used a dark gunmetal made from a combination (not a complete mix, but a pool of separate slightly intermingled colours) of Valljeo dark stone (a sort of browny grey), Citadel Abaddon black and a little scorched brown.

I used a much of the same palette for the base: dark stone for the road, and scorched brown for the dunes/rocks. Both were then successively highlighted with greys and browns/sandy colours respectively, before a final drybrush of Army Painter's mummy robes.

14EA767F-859A-43DB-A90C-964108A92CCF.jpeg

Why use the same colours in the base and the Titan? Well, I find this little trick helps to integrate the different elements, so the base and Titan read as a single thing.