Scouts for your Raptors. What do you prefer?

TheBattenBurger

Built:

Bolters and missile launchers x2

Snipers with heavy bolter

Shotguns

Melee

Bike Scouts Bolters and sgt with Stormbolter (ripping off the GL soon) 

Unbuilt 

A TON more bolter scouts (3 or 4 more Squads) and sniper scouts (1 or 2 more squads)

Bike squad same as above

Its not that Bolter scouts are good, its that they are one of three choices that are the cheapest cost, and they are the best flex-choice for those 3 options.

Snipers are great, but they are a critical-mass type of unit. If you just run a unit of 5, you won't find any value in them. Multiple units (I think having at least 10 in a list is the minimum, id prefer closer to 15).

You want to actually be able to kill characters, 5 Snipers just doesn't do that in any meaningful way. I also don't think heavy weapons are worth it either.

For context, I currently own:

25 Sniper Scouts (Painted)

10 Bolter Scouts (Painted)

10 Shotgun Scouts (Painted)

10 BP+CCW Scouts (Painted)

2 Missle Launcher (Painted)

2 Heavy Bolter (Painted)

and a bunch more unpainted stuff.

I run two squads of five in my lists every time. One five man with combat blades and pistols, a power sword, and one shotgunner. The other is bolters and a heavy bolter.

Neither squad does much killing, but they claim a boatload of ITC secondary mission points. Recon, Behind Enemy Lines, etc. Plus they're phenomenal at denying ground for enemy reinforcements. Put camo on them, drop them into cover, and they're a pain to eliminate.

If I could go back, I'd skip the heavy bolter because while Hellfire Shells is nice, I find I'm either moving him around to deny LOS to the squad, or he's dead after the squad soaked half the enemy army's shooting, or some rat bastard psyker super Smited the whole squad in one go.

I like my melee squad just fine.

If I were to run snipers in my local scene, I'd want a squad of ten for clipping Guard officers and Marine Ancients.

I take 3 5-man bolter Scouts, 2 5-man sniper scouts and 1 5-man CC scouts.

The bolters are my Jack-of-all trades, they plug holes wherever I need. The CC usually sit around to just throw some CC if needed. The snipers are always worth points, they're just not ace at killing big guys. I use them to weaken things before a charge with some VV for example; more of a force multiplier than a big hitter.

Archived