How much will the price increase affect the Heresy?

m0nolith

Yeah. Only the double bundle is still listed on the AU site as well... I think this may be the death bell of 30k down here, I think the plastic boxes at such good value was all that was keeping her afloat here, and with them gone people will either stop building their forces, or sell them off. On the plus side, I guess I might be able to snap up a few bargains on eBay I guess...

Aye, killing off the Calth and Prospero boxes I'd say are liable to be a markedly bigger blow to 30K audience expansion than FW pricing changes.  I mean, we can talk about a 10-40%+ hike locally for FW products, but those two core boxes equate to a 100%+ rise in common troops (or more, pending on how you value the two character models).  

Calth and Prospero are the gateway drugs, man... I mean, I don't want to think about how many sets I've bought. 

The Heresy can’t die, because even if people quit playing it and they stop releasing Black Books after a certain point - people like me aren’t going anywhere. 40k is the weaker setting. It has no gravitas, no sense of urgency, and it’s still very thin. Every guard regiment is Cadian. Every Forge World is fought over by House Taranis. The novels in 40k feel like they need ‘Buy Now’ options. Until they go back to writing about the setting the way they did in 3rd and 4th (to be fair they’ve made strides in that direction, but it’s still lacking) the Heresy is still the ultimate story of the setting.

The Heresy can’t die, because even if people quit playing it and they stop releasing Black Books after a certain point - people like me aren’t going anywhere. 40k is the weaker setting. It has no gravitas, no sense of urgency, and it’s still very thin. Every guard regiment is Cadian. Every Forge World is fought over by House Taranis. The novels in 40k feel like they need ‘Buy Now’ options. Until they go back to writing about the setting the way they did in 3rd and 4th (to be fair they’ve made strides in that direction, but it’s still lacking) the Heresy is still the ultimate story of the setting.

That sums it up pretty much

I'm another Aussie more than a little unhappy with the price gouge - add in the recent inclusion of a 10% GST tax to sub-$1000 imports and FW products are almost priced out of the market. To highlight the earlier example of a Knight Castigator in the thread:

The price would actually be 520 AUD + 25 AUD Postage + 55 AUD Import Tax = 600 AUD for a Knight Castigator to your doorstep.

The massed-DKoK force that I've had dreamed about for a while is now a somewhat ludicrous proposition.  As far as Heresy goes, I'm just glad I'm sitting on a stash of BaC and BoP plastics - I only need a few vehicles/leviathans to complete that army and I'll see if some UK mates will buy local and ship to me using Royal Mail.

I'm not a fan of using recasters personally, so it means that long term i'll probably steer away from investing in systems tied heavily to FW, which sadly includes HH

-Ran

For those committed to the WH30k/HH I don't think the price increase will have much of an affect. The affect I expect to see is gamers buying less than what they would have otherwise. I am working on 3 legions currently and instead of buying a lot of FW to complete them I'm only going to buy what I really need and be done with them. 

I’m still going to collect heresy. Just nowhere near the pace I have been. It’s a perfect opportunity at the very least to catch up on the massive backlog of stuff I have piled up, and to save whilst doing so to eventually get the rest of what I need. Its not the end by far, but the speed has definitely slowed significantly.

30k never really had a following here anyway, it took off a little during 7th when everyone got sick of 7th, but died down again.

We are looking at 10-15% increases on everything when paying in euros, wed been taking huge advantage of the pound plummeting and theres no way in hell any of us are paying a marked up euro cost. Hell, our own national post office offers a parcel motel service ar a cost of pennies that we'll be making use of from now on. That or we just wait until we make a trip over and buy it in the store, for some orders doing a day trip to nottingham will actually be cheaper.

My group has decided to double down and embrace what we love about 30k. We are still moving forward with out narrative campaign and expanding our armies through other means.

New players and being directed to Bac or BoP and then to 3rd party cheap retail to expand.

My group has decided to double down and embrace what we love about 30k. We are still moving forward with out narrative campaign and expanding our armies through other means.

New players and being directed to Bac or BoP and then to 3rd party cheap retail to expand.

That's the spirit !  :thumbsup:

HH was on life support in my area already. 8th edition and the delay of Angelus/Malevolence just pushed the HH out of the limelight. Then came the LCTB screw ups. I'm one of those who had mostly MKII marines, so it hit me hard. Then came the price rise, which basically has my entire FLGS trying to sell off their armies. Now with the loss of the BaC and BoP, I'm expecting the game to disappear into the void. 

It wont go out with a bang, it will just dwindle away - the same way epic and warmaster, and warhammer quest did. I hope I'm wrong. Really, really hope so.

I've still got a lot of minis, and I want to finish the army I have, but I don't expect to pick up any more models for it. I'm not even mad about it anymore, just disappointed.

It won't drastically affect those who already have 30k armies. Those who have established forces will buy their piece meal bibs and bobs when it suits them.

The big blow will hit the new blood coming into the game moreso however. Steep entry price, no value sets, poor support and fewer players at flgs settings (considering many GW stores don't allow 30k games to be played and some don't allow forge world period means less exposure again) will make the game less appealing to entry level players.

It'll turn into what warhammer fantasy looked like just prior to the end times I predict: same old garage players playing the same old game with very little new blood.

I think a lot of this is being blown out of proportion. The price increase sucks, I get it. I just entered Horus Heresy at the beginning of the year, adding 3 BAC and 2 BOP to a handful of Forgeworld purchases and built my legion (currently in progress, but I just posted pictures).

HH is not going to die. There are too many supporters for it, and too many big names in the social media world pushing 30k. (The30kChannel etc.) Not to mention the upcoming Blood Angels and White Scars release. The addition of Daemons to the game will be a good gateway to get current 40k players into 30k. 

I love this game, and I'm not about to quit just because the parent company is being a turd about pricing. Again, if I want to splurge and grab one item its kinda whatever. Chinacast is going to be big because of the price increases. (I checked on Ebay, Sicarian Battle Tanks are 1/2 the price of Forgeworld).

Having AdMek, Custodes and SOS in 40k just means that players are that much closer to being into 30k. Hey, you just bought 15 Custodes Jetbikes? Check out 30k. They're really good. Hey, you AdMek players who just got your first dedicated transport, you can use that and a lot of your stuff in 30k. As you save up and drop a few purchases on 30k vehicles and items, you'll have a dual purpose army in no time. Almost everything that I own for my Ultramarines (Primaris notwithstanding) is dual purpose to be able to play 30 or 40k.

Build smart, and you can never "be out of the game"

i think HH will not die but it will become more and more a niche game with a niche audience

Now we have AdMech, AdCust and SoS in 40K so HH will be for the only real die hard 40K fans willing to spend a lot more

my2cents

as a 40k player jumping into 30k I don't have a problem with that. 40k is just ridiculous and the rules and storyline are only exacerbating the issue. I'm fine if FW releases all the books and leaves things at that, it means we will always have a game system that wont be subject to the hiccups GW causes every few years or so. I wish the warhammer gaming community as a whole wasn't so fickle. The bandwagoners need to stop with the ever present "sky is falling" syndrome and let us enjoy what we like about our own hobby in peace. It may be niche, but for the guys who were into 30k before the BaC/BoP influenced HH bandwagon craze that wont matter at all. 

Certainly official HH is dead. PRCworld is still stronk however.

I doubt we'll see a book after Malevolence, but just maybe we'll see a tie in black book called Seige... I wouldn't put it past them to just drop it at this point.

A stand alone seige book/game would neatly match up with the HH novels ending, and gives a plausible reason why they've cut down the HH range and staff this last 2 years with everything going LCTB and dropping the big boxes.

I doubt we'll see a book after Malevolence, but just maybe we'll see a tie in black book called Seige... I wouldn't put it past them to just drop it at this point.

The UK benefitted from the recent changes and it’s not bad in the EU, so 30k should remain strong in Britain and Sweden. Strong enough for the Dark Angels to get their book in 2020. They’ve been waiting a long time so I hope they get it.

It’s only the rest of us that are done with Forge World.

The UK benefitted from the recent changes and it’s not bad in the EU, so 30k should remain strong in Britain and Sweden. Strong enough for the Dark Angels to get their book in 2020. They’ve been waiting a long time so I hope they get it.

It’s only the rest of us that are done with Forge World.

I think that's certainly the point to remember, that the UK followed by Europe (for simplicity throwing Sweden into that geoblock too) are GWs largest customers (followed by NA, then RoW), thus, the only ones to not actually feel the hits 

as I've argued else where, GW as a business are certainly happy they have a following overseas (though clearly not ecstatic about it, re: currency changes to isolate themselves from them), and something to explore, possibly,  in the future,  (that new shop they have in Texas for example, we'll see if that lasts) though, as they did try that before... with the battle bunkers (what was that, late 90s?) and what not, but they're just not interesting in cultivating RoW clients 

Thankfully we are confirmed at least ten black books so we have quite a ways to go before HH support ends.

For all those folks worried about price and the fact that FW is now basically through the roof if your not from the UK, I recommend Ebay, Aliexpress or other ways to find good stuff for a reasonable price.

Archived