Help with Blackshields

Nyx of the Night

So some of my gaming group is working to get back into some Heresy, since we all have been playing 8th. I've decided to pick back up with the Blackshield project I was working on before we paused our efforts, and I need some advice.

I have plans for a Reaver lord and a librarian (since I had bits to use and he's cool), but I would like some suggestions for another HQ option. I like the idea of the Praevian with some robots, or maybe something like a chaplain to go with my troops, but I'm not sure what people like.

For troops, I'm planning for at least 2 full marauder squads with chainaxes. Apothecaries would be good of course, and I will probably throw them in.

The rest of my force is in flux, but I do have a few story ideas that would help guide me, but I don't want to make bad choices. The one other unit I am building is a techmarine with missile launcher servitors, with rad. Really cool idea I have seen, so it's in, haha.

Not sure if this makes any sense, but if you get me, I look forward to your ideas. :)

I think it would be helpful to know what story ideas you have first! I mean very few consul choices are bad.

In saying that, if you wanted something good game wise, I’d pick a legion champion (if blackshields can, I don’t quite recall) with a paragon blade. The best option that blackshields are lacking!

That's completely fair, haha!  Blackshields are unfortunately limited to only one consul choice, according to my copy of that black book, per army.  So I don't want to build up too many of them, just a few that will be more useful than others, since I can only use one at a time.  So while the Champion is really cool and a good source of that paragon blade as you mentioned, I don't really want to use my one consul choice up just to get a weapon.

So my story ideas I have so far started with reading about the Knights Errant and Malcador.  The Inquisition is my favorite faction, so of course I was drawn to the Sigilite!  I'm thinking that my blackshields are a force that have been created very specifically by Malcador to perform assaults and strikes against the Warmaster's forces as he approaches Terra towards the end of the Heresy.  I'm using MK3 armor, since I figure that Malcador could grab a supply of this armor now being replaced for loyalist forces, and I figure he has requisitioned a small supply of volkite weaponry as well.  So I'd like to use some support squads with volkite, some heavy weapon teams with volkite, and so on, if it is actually a good gaming choice.  Otherwise, I am just looking for ideas for some units that will support large marauder squads and some other more esoteric weapon choices (like my rad missile servitors.)

Hopefully that helps some?  :D

A knight errant is definitely something I've thought a lot about, and I think including one to fill one of the more traditional "consul" roles as best he can would be a good idea.  I've also thought a lot about the origin of my warband, and how Malcador commissioning them doesn't make as much sense with my intent to use the Chymeriae rule.

Instead, I am now thinking about some members of the Mechanicum working in secret to create their own small force of marines for both experimentations sake and for missions and protection of their assets.  This would easily explain there being a techmarine, as well as a Praevian with automata if I went down that route, which I have definitely been thinking of.

I like the idea of a hodgepodge of Blackshields gathered around a Knight Errant who has one arm and pauldron painted black.

Which Legions do you plan to draw on?

This is definitely a cool idea and something anyone could draw on, but my thought of using Chymeriae would probably preclude most of the rank and file from being former legionnaires.

While that’s true of the post-heresy imperium, ethics and what the mechanicum can do in the Heresy would be very flexible, especially if the conveniently forget to tell anyone that the unidentified astartes fighting along side them were actually made by them :p

I was considering a similar story if I do Blackshields.

We all know that Xana is hardly above board, especially later in the Heresy when Scoria takes over...

Harvesting the aftermath of the Xana Incursion, he would've had a lot of material to work with to create a nasty force of Blackshields to supplement his Forge World's worth of armies.

This would let me run them alongside my Malinax Knights easily (plus imagine the Scorpion Decals on marines....!)

Yes, I am definitely really feeling this whole idea.  I have started ideas on making myself up a Praevian, as I have settled on one of them as my main consul choice.

I will get some actual fluff written up at some point, but I have a tech-priest dominus I will also be building up as my marine creator.  I have not fully decided on loyalist or traitor, though I am leaning the former if I ever wanted to play with a Knight Errant, but I know that the dominus is definitely working outside the normal channels, if you will. :wink:

I am thinking a mix of World Eater geneseed and others I am not sure of, since I want my marauder squads to have chainaxes, so that one at least fits.

edit: When inspiration strikes, lol.  Spent last night and this morning kitbashing together a Praevian, and building my magos.  I have decided the Ordo Reductor fits my theme, with their heavy use of Thallax it seems fitting they would experiment with marines too.  I could be wrong, but that's ok.  

edit: When inspiration strikes, lol.  Spent last night and this morning kitbashing together a Praevian, and building my magos.  I have decided the Ordo Reductor fits my theme, with their heavy use of Thallax it seems fitting they would experiment with marines too.  I could be wrong, but that's ok.  

Well let's see some pictures!!

Archived