Gaunts Ghosts Anarch at BL Weekender!

Angel_of_Blood

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really looking forward to Anarch and I'm really nervous at the same time. This story arc started off so very strong with Blood Pact, which was Abnett at his best, but Salvation's Reach and Warmaster imo had weak endings (rushed). After waiting so long for the last two novels in the arc, when they finally came out I felt just a bit let down. Don't get me wrong, even an imperfect Dan Abnett story is a joy to read..... but when he is on top of his game, he is without peer:yes:

I'm really looking forward to Anarch and I'm really nervous at the same time. This story arc started off so very strong with Blood Pact, which was Abnett at his best, but Salvation's Reach and Warmaster imo had weak endings (rushed). After waiting so long for the last two novels in the arc, when they finally came out I felt just a bit let down. Don't get me wrong, even an imperfect Dan Abnett story is a joy to read..... but when he is on top of his game, he is without peer:yes:

I kind of get where you are coming from regarding Salvations Reach but personally I thought Warmaster was brilliant and one of the better GG novels (though not top three). Am so looking forward to Anarch.

My personal reason for being nervous is the chance Anarch could be the last ever GG book! Abnett has said he does have an idea for a fifth story arc but...?????

I kind of get where you are coming from regarding Salvations Reach but personally I thought Warmaster was brilliant and one of the better GG novels (though not top three). Am so looking forward to Anarch.

My personal reason for being nervous is the chance Anarch could be the last ever GG book! Abnett has said he does have an idea for a fifth story arc but...?????

Hey there..... I just wanted to clarify my position a bit. I didn't mean to imply that either Salvation's Reach or The Warmaster were not good books. I enjoyed both very much. I just felt that some of the plot threads were not handled in Dan's usual deft style. I'll briefly discuss several points below. There are more but I don't want to bog things down here.

One of the things I've always liked about Abnett's Gaunt stories is the way he delves into the personal non-combat lives of the Ghosts and their families and friends. One thread I was enjoying was the relationship between Captain Ban Daur and Elodie. This was a fun and simple side conflict story that should have been tied up fairly simply at least by the beginning of The Warmaster but wasn't (it was but wasn't in a rather brief but clumsy way) in Mr. Abnett's usual clever style.

Another potentially interesting thread in Salvation's Reach that turned to nothing was the introduction of three Space Marines. With the exception of the sub-sub plot involving Sar as heck of the White Scars taking the broken Trooper Merrt under his wing and giving him his pride and skills back (a truly excellent moment in this book) it turned out that the Space Marines were just there to shoot :censored: up on Salvation's Reach. No special mission, no conflicting goals, just smash up a rare and valuable Caestus Assault Ram and shoot :censored: up.... very disappointing.

The Warmaster was much better.... and the marvelous portrait that was Warmaster Maccaroth was totally unexpected.... but the ending felt rushed and abrupt. There were a few other points that I felt were inconsistent with Gaunt's command and leadership style but they were fairly minor in the grand scheme of things so I won't go there.

In the past I've seen Mr.Abnett consistently throw out half a dozen or more plot threads and weave them together quite expertly with what on the surface looks like no effort  what-so-ever. I didn't see that in these last two books. Still,...… Salvation's Reach and The Warmaster, great characters, great dialogue, great stories, and great battle scenes (I'm constantly amazed how after so many fight scenes, Dan is still able to make each one fresh and unique... just amazing) just not his usual level of great.

So.... looking forward to Anarch, but with my fingers crossed:wink:

@brotherlunkhead no worries I hear you.

Sure you know this but Abnettbhas made it clear that the four books in the Vixtory arc are more like one big book split into four rather than completely standalone books that the GG novels have been in the past. In addition Warmaster and Anarch are a duology within the quadrilogy (if that makes sense). In addition we are supposed to be getting "Urdesh" by Matt Farrer that will further expand what is happening during the course of Warmaster and Anarch.

The Warmaster was much better.... and the marvelous portrait that was Warmaster Maccaroth was totally unexpected.... 

So.... looking forward to Anarch, but with my fingers crossed:wink:

Duke Leto beat me to it, but Warmaster is just the first half of the Warmaster/Anarch duology basically.

Abnett has said he knows it is very open ended and basically 1 of 2.

Great news. Have they said when it goes on general release?

December or early January.

I definitely knew The Warmaster was open ended:yes: and I had no problem with that.  Open ended is different from rushed. I felt that the ending was rushed. Now Abnett has used summary in his endings before to good effect. The climactic battle between Titan legions in Titanicus comes to mind. The battle was not told in detail but summarized. This was very effective in pacing the novel as all previous battles were narrated in detail and a detailed description of the final battle (in which the conclusion was obvious) would have bogged the novel ending down in needless detail. Where The Warmaster is concerned I think even a cliffhanger ending would have been preferable and might have been quite effective. 

But, in the end it was what it was and most fans seem to be quite satisfied with it. And, once again I'm looking forward to Anarch:yes: I just hope it's the great read I want it to be. It's really Dan Abnett's fault you know...… he's spoiled me:biggrin.:

Archived