Your Awesome Lore

My Markovian 49th 'Mad Dogs' are a renegade armored regiment originally hailing from an exhausted mining/agri world. They helped to quell a small Necron uprising on Scelus 8, and participated in the decimation of the disgraced Cadian 332nd. It was during this incident that the regiment was famously referred to as 'mad dogs' by a disgusted Cadian brigadier general. By this point Abaddon's Black Crusade had enveloped the sector, and the Markovians were to be redeployed to Agripinaa. In transit, they ran afoul of the Death Guard-  this was reportedly due to Gellar field failure and daemonic incursions, though there is evidence that suggests the transport ship was commandeered and held by a rogue Ordo Sepulturum inquisitor for more than a week prior to the attack.

In any case, when the Mad Dogs arrived on the forgeworld Agripinaa, they had turned their backs on the Emperor's light and most of them had willingly embraced the worship of the Lord of Despair. 

Physically, Markovians tend to be of two distinct breeds: hardy and quiet agri-workers who tend the subterranean fungus warrens or emaciated hivers that toil in vast, failing Dark Age cities. Malfunctions in the shields and life support are distressingly common, and occasionally swathes of habs are exposed to terrible radiation. Those unfortunates who live in these domed surface cities are said to be unlucky at best and at worst, accursed, little better than mutants. Corrective surgeries are common, as skin cancers and radiation scars are seen as fearful marks of uncleanliness. Many upper and middle class hive dwellers spend much of their livelihoods to ensure that any such unseemly features are excised. Lowborn Markovians work to obscure their rad-scars, praying that the exposure to the invisible poison isn't going to kill them- or worse, transform them into freaks to be stoned by their family and neighbors

Subterranean Markovian culture instantiates the value of hard work and quiet observance of the traditions of the Imperial cult. In contrast, the surface hivers often maintain a manic, ecstatic faith, prone to outbursts of passion and spontaneous worship. Strange alterations to the Imperial Creed have arisen from more than a few fevered Markovian minds, and the witchfinders and arbites often make forays into the urban zones in order eradicate even the smallest hint of heresy. Paranoia is a fact of life in Markov's cities, and often those deemed 'spiritual risks' are left to die in totally unshielded zones, scorched by obscenely lethal levels of radiation.

Masks are also universally enshrined across all of Markov's social strata. Filtration masks are necessary in all areas of the fungal warrens, and the failing air scrubbers of the hives seldom remove all the irradiated particulate matter. Whether it is a fully gilded void-worthy helm or an improvised damp rebreather, Markovians consider their masks to be their 'public' face. The private face is only seen by family and the closest of friends.

There is a third kind of Markovian, one that few outside that world are aware of- a sort of degenerate, cannibal abhuman that lairs near terra-thermal forges and ruined Machine-Cult facilities within the deepest abandoned tunnels. There are many whispered tales about these fearsome once-men, but the creatures themselves are very real. Such beings are occasionally captured, lobotomized, and kept almost like guardbeasts by members of the highest echelons of Markovian society. They are officially deisignated 'Homo Sapiens Giganticus ssp Caulis'  but they are commonly called hellstalkers or white crawlers. Though they typically stand well over 2.3 meters tall, these abhumans are lithe, quick, and unnervingly quiet when they wish to be. 'Tamed' stalkers are typically outfitted with bells, chains, electronic beepers or other noisemaking apparatus so they do not cause alarming incidents as they silently patrol. Their low cunning means they seldom use weapons other than whatever blades or bludgeons are surgically grafted onto their bodies. A dozen such creatures have been inducted into Markovian regiments, typically as bodyguards or hunting companions for well-connected members of the officer cadre.

I can post more later, haven't even gotten to the vehicles/doctrines or characters of the Markovian 49th... I could prattle on and on about my silly little toy heretics.

I've been toying with a number of ideas. I will certainly be building a L&TD army as part of my larger chaos collection. All somewhat themed around a particular crusade/campaign.

I plan to build 2 rival chaos space marine warbands. Iron Warriors and Word Bearers. Each with their preferred fodder... I mean auxiliaries...

Essentially the WB group will be pushing a classic cultist/heretic/traitor mix. Starting out with some old pewter necromunda models... Mainly the guys with all the hoods and combi-autorifle/flamers. From there I'll probably incorporate stray imperial guardsmen from the cadian kits (I've for an IG force I've started to accompany my loyalist marines so eventually I'll have some overflow)

(life just got in the way... I'll finish this later, sorry)

And I'm back...

As for the iron warriors, I had this idea that they scooped up an attrocious bunch of abhumans and would dump them on imperial words as a feint while they assaulted their high priority targets. I was going to build them using catachans and Beastman gores. (I had this tongue and cheek write up about them being produced in some backwater world by a rogue mechanicus faction focused on genesmithing who spliced colonial livestock genomes with human genomes, the resulting abhuman breed overwhelmed and populated the world where they were wrought... The name of the leader of the rogue admech genesmithing was some rediculous thing that sounded like "Dr. Moreau."

I really like this and I would like to know more from your Army Azekai.

To answer the side question first, I would use the new models for Kill Team: Rogue Trader. Those are high ranking Imperial Citizens that got the best toys, sometimes better than what Astartes get.

Now to my army, but I cannot without mentioning the characters in short and I am still tying up ends, I am not totally a genius on the lore:

Within the Horus Heresy many armies were raised, so the Luna Disciples, to defend the Earth. A Solar Auxilia Regiment that went into pursue after the heretics left Terra. The battle of Terra left the army in a devastated state and only a couple of thousand were aboard the cruiser in pursuit as the heavy battles took its toll on the ship and the gellar field broke together with its engine. Aurelia was one of the known survivors of this incident, seemingly ignored by the daemons boarding the ship. She managed to get ship back into reality saving countless lives, but short time later they found themselves hunted by the Imperium because of possible corruption of chaos. Afraid of the suspicion by the Imperium, they made their way into the Eye of Terror as well, finding a drifting planetoid with habitable atmosphere. So the survivors started their own culture.

The scarce resources lead to fights amongst the survivors, only the strongest would continue to live. An endless life through the nature of the strange energies of the warp.

Aurelia adapted to this new environment, gaining the title "Trueborn Child of the Warp". Her rule was unchallenged by almost 10.000 years.

It was at the time of the 13th Black Crusade, when a young Lieutenant fought the Abaddon's Forces. Its where he met blades with Aurelia, the fight lasted seconds and he was killed in it. As his body was dying the warp pox got a grip on his body, but instead killing him, he became a vessel and rose up again to fight the invaders. Almost invulnerable in the fights he helped to secure crucial victories. Wounds he would take, would just heal by themselves or not hurt at all. His loyalty was unquestionable, but still his execution was scheduled and everybody who tried to hide him faced the same fate. During the execution he heard a voice. A voice talking to him clearly in a thousand tongues at the same time. It promised him power to take revenge for his friends who protected him and were killed for it. Driven by anger he accepted to become the vessel of this voice. It was when Aurelia emerged next to him, cutting him loose. After an intense fight they fled with the Chaos Forces of Cadia back into the Eye of Terror to gather strength again.

At around the same time on a planet not to far from the edge of the Eye of Terror a Sororita was doing her duty. She excelled at everything and was utterly bored to the job of a guardian on this simple agriculture world.She had a charismatic nature and easily gathered followers and admirers. This talent did not evade the gaze of Slaanesh. She always heard voices since she was young. That was her reason to complete give her life to the Order of the Sacred Rose and with the help of the prayers those voice went silent. Till one day not even the prayers or chants to the Emperor would be able to silent that voice, it would get louder and louder and one day she succumbed to its seduction. She started to corrupt everyone around her. Operating skillful and hidden only the Space Wolves were able to uncover her treachery and corruption of the planet. The sons of Russ made a stop to replenish their supplies of food and water on the planet. Not knowing the range of the chaos corruption they lost the fight they picked, as their goal was to help the uncorrupted which were very few. Instead of killing the Space Wolves Captain, Sharh, as she was calling herself by now, bewitched the Captain to serve her. Since the Space Wolves were able to get a signal off to call in an Exterminatus the fate of the world was sealed. Sharh fled the planet with everything she could into the Eye. This Captain would become her General and be called Kraegus from then.

It was pure coincidence that she came across the small planetoid floating through space and met Aurelia with her Cult. Sharh liked the natural selection going on the Cult and with her ressources made the lifeless grey moon to a pleasure planet of Slaanesh. Devoted to achieve the ultimate perfection as a warrior cult. The Cult of the Moon was born. Many battles later Sharh was granted Daemonhood for her dark deeds.

Many more join their cause, but I tend to have unusual characters that did not really decide on their own fate, but were pushed there.

We have an Dark Mechanicus Character tending to the machines and an Aeldari to oversee the quest for perfection. I will post it if someone is interested.

The Baavari Brotherhood originated during the Unification on Earth. Very short version of a very long story, they are soldiers bred to be the pinnacle of humanity they cloning, eugenics, and other unsavory practices. As a result they are very tall, but pale and hairless. Their leader resisted The Emperor, claiming he had already engineered the perfect humanity. At the first battle, the army took a look at what The Emperor had created and promptly turned their guns on their genesire, swearing loyalty to Him if he would have them. They fought in the crusade at his behest and eventually were awarded their own planet for their performance. Due to being a society of clones and inbred science experiments they did not adjust well at civilian life, having almost no individual identity outside of the highest eschelons, and many of those left behind to retire and colonize struggled with their new roles. At some point the regiments fell en masse, their inbred defects becoming more pronounced, and Khorne gained new servants.

Hi Brother Marbas, I spent a long, long time writing my lore, and I boiled it down to 2 sentences:

A lone Guardsman, the last member of a battalion decimated by disease, wanders from base to base to warn his fellow Imperium soldiers of the impending epidemic. Little does he know that he IS the primary carrier, because...like all Humanity...he can see corruption everywhere except within.

gallery_57329_13636_813603.jpg

The horror of this is, in an universe filled with great heroes and the laughter of thirsting gods, is that he's a nobody. So he can be ANYbody, that's the threat.

Full gallery at: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/345699-n1sb-labs-infecting-different-subjects-with-nurgles-taint/

Side Question: How might one model a Rogue Inquisitor's force and what rules could one use?

Yeah, tell us more about your ideas. I think this is a great concept for a Radical Inquisitor, would love to hear more.

I love the patient zero aspect of that. I have a similar guardsmen in my totally-not-an-Inquisitor's retinue of evil. Among all the big nasties is one nameless, nondescript Guardsman who just doesn't die, for far too long for anyone to be comfortable with. He's not even a major buttkicker. Just a guy with a lasgun and laspistol who survived every engagement he's ever been in, to the point where even the totally-not-an-Inquisitor gives him a wide berth.

Love those Nurglings too!

So for the Rogue Inquisitor's Warband I had the idea it would be someone pressed into service as an Acolyte and slowly trained to root out Heresy by a Puritanical Inquisitor but over time they became disillusioned with the way the Inquisition treated people and why they didn't use Chaos to fight Chaos despite the inherent advantages. Over time even after advancing to become a Radical Inquisitor these questions remained and slowly the Inquisitor delved into sorcerous tomes, used daemonhosts, and other means to battle Chaos and began to believe through the sedition of daemons and putting down Cults that maybe the Imperium is wrong all along and that Chaos has more to offer humanity.....

So for the Rogue Inquisitor's Warband I had the idea it would be someone pressed into service as an Acolyte and slowly trained to root out Heresy by a Puritanical Inquisitor but over time they became disillusioned with the way the Inquisition treated people and why they didn't use Chaos to fight Chaos despite the inherent advantages. Over time even after advancing to become a Radical Inquisitor these questions remained and slowly the Inquisitor delved into sorcerous tomes, used daemonhosts, and other means to battle Chaos and began to believe through the sedition of daemons and putting down Cults that maybe the Imperium is wrong all along and that Chaos has more to offer humanity.....

That totally works, because I think it describes a Horusian (are those the ones?) Inquisitor right up until the word "wrong". Could be especially interesting as with Daemon Hosts and the like, where exactly can you pinpoint an Inquisitor being a heretic instead of just radical...

Archived