609th Octavian Regiment- Charlie Company. Slow grow project.

MrZakalwe

Been trying to get my act together.

One basecoated, inked and edged Demolisher. HizVooS.jpg

The same for a Manticore (rockets are currently very blue but have just been sprayed and are only bluetacked on).

5StV7L9.jpg

And finally 1500 of the Octavian 609th supported by a contingent from GAP 2 packed in the case to test fit. Loads of room for expansion and I'm going to put another steel plate at the top and a larger one across the lid. Should be able to get well over 2k in there with room to spare. 

gcwgaLA.jpg

Looks good, as always. Very clean and crisp paint job. I feel sorry for the driver of that Demolisher, with that cannon firing right over his head.

If you want real suffering look at the proximity of the Taurox exhausts to the windows :smile.:

• 4 weeks later...

OK biggest game so far coming up this Thursday, 2k against the Deathguard.

Anybody have any tips or anything to look out for? 

The 609th will be assisted by the Crusader Class Knight 'Lapsed Pacifist' but no Scion insertion teams were available so it's going to be a stand up fight from my side.

My list (tentative)

++ Brigade Detachment +12CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [97 PL, 13CP, 1473pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Detachment CP [12CP]

Imperial Commander's Armoury [-1CP]: 1 additional Heirloom of Conquest

Regimental Doctrine: Regiment: Cadian

Vigilus Defiant [-1CP]: Emperor's Fist Tank Company

+ HQ +

Company Commander [2 PL, 30pts]: Chainsword, Laspistol

Company Commander [2 PL, 30pts]: Chainsword, Laspistol, Old Grudges, Relic (Cadia): Relic of Lost Cadia, Warlord

Tank Commander [12 PL, 170pts]: Emperor's Fist, Heavy Bolter
. Command Punisher: Turret-mounted Punisher Gatling Cannon

Tank Commander [12 PL, 172pts]: Emperor's Fist, Heavy Bolter
. Command Battle Tank: Battle Cannon

Tank Commander [12 PL, 172pts]: Emperor's Fist, Heavy Bolter, Relic (Emperor's Fist): Hammer of Sunderance

+ Troops +

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 48pts]
. 8x Guardsman
. Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun
. Sergeant: Boltgun, Chainsword

. 8x Guardsman

. 8x Guardsman

. 8x Guardsman

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 49pts]
. 7x Guardsman
. Heavy Weapon Team: Heavy bolter

. 7x Guardsman

+ Elites +

Astropath [1 PL, 26pts]: Laspistol

Astropath [1 PL, 26pts]: Laspistol

Ministorum Priest [2 PL, 39pts]: Laspistol, Power maul

Ogryn Bodyguard [4 PL, 57pts]: Bullgryn Maul, Bullgryn Plate, Slabshield

Platoon Commander [2 PL, 20pts]: Chainsword, Laspistol

+ Fast Attack +

Armoured Sentinels [3 PL, 45pts]
. Armoured Sentinel: Missile Launcher

Armoured Sentinels [3 PL, 40pts]
. Armoured Sentinel: Plasma Cannon

Hellhounds [6 PL, 107pts]
. Hellhound: Heavy Flamer, Turret-mounted Inferno Cannon

+ Heavy Support +

Basilisks [7 PL, 108pts]
. Basilisk: Heavy Bolter

Basilisks [7 PL, 108pts]

Heavy Weapons Squad [3 PL, 33pts]
. Heavy Weapon Team: Mortar

++ Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment (Imperium - Imperial Knights) [25 PL, -2CP, 523pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Detachment CP

Exalted Court [-1CP]: Exalted Court: 1 Extra Warlord Trait

Heirlooms of the Household [-1CP]: Heirlooms of the Household: 1 Extra Heirloom

Household Choice: House Krast, Questor Mechanicus

+ Lord of War +

Knight Crusader [25 PL, 523pts]: Character (Exalted Court), Character (Heirloom of the House), Heavy Stubber, Heirloom (Krast): The Headsman's Mark, Stormspear Rocket Pod, Warlord Trait: Ion Bulwark
. Avenger Gatling Cannon w/ Heavy Flamer: Avenger Gatling Cannon, Heavy Flamer
. Rapid-Fire Battle Cannon w/ Heavy Stubber: Heavy Stubber, Rapid-Fire Battle Cannon

++ Total: [122 PL, 11CP, 1996pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Infantry represents everything I have built, priest is in there because I'm proud of the conversion/paint job I've done for him and he's yet to take the field.

So victory was taken by the veteran warriors of the 609th.

With most of the Deathguard dead or dying the last remnants fled into the warp by some foul sorcery leaving only the corpses and broken warmachines behind (he conceded).

cX4k13m.jpg

Qe7dzda.jpg

The Knight wasn't quite as deadly as I hoped but as it's a Questoris rather than a Dominus and house Krast rather than Raven it wasn't very CP heavy so I could still pop Vengence for Cadia frequently and overlapping fields of fire every turn. Old Grudges and Overlapping fields of fire on a squad of 3 Blighthaulers meant the squad went down in 1 turn and this made me realise a flaw with their profile; as they explode they do damage to themselves and everything sheltering in their cover aura (they really backfired). 

Krast Crusader vs deathguard Leviathan even with Miasma is a pretty one sided fight. 

Felt a little dirty during the middle of the game as perhaps the list I was running was a little too optimised. 

Edited by MrZakalwe

The dice goes reward the faithful and painted with victory :wink: Well done on a convincing win :biggrin.:

Ha! The dice rewards those who layer bonuses and rerolls then bring enough redundancy to kill a given target twice. 

"My guards may sleep and ships may rest at anchor, our foes know full well that big guns never tire."

Edited by MrZakalwe

• 2 months later...

1500 points of the 609th ready to do battle with the Tau.

This is going to be my first larger game against the Tau with this force so let's see how the theory holds up- trying for pure shock and awes this time- no assassins, no clever tricks (deepstrike or outflank) just planning to trade shots.

Expecting multiple riptides with drone support.

Any tips on crushing the xenos?

http://i.imgur.com/c9N6Q83.jpg

Edited by MrZakalwe

Kill the drones before you shoot the battle suits. Your hydra will be good at that, also FRFSRF order. Kill any missile broadsides he has quick. They are tough with W6, but those missiles hurt and will quickly remove tanks. The focus fire cadian stratagem will be invaluable to take out a target of your choice.

Other then that, good luck and have fun!

P.s. battle report please

This is the current list planned - the Manticore in the picture is serving as a Wyvern today following an incident with my Wyvern. 

Should give me plenty of LoS ignoring firepower to kill drones (as you say) but I think the Hydra will normally be better used to hit Riptides (or at least the Old Grudges marked riptide) as 4+ to wound with a reroll works out a little better than 3+ to wound meaning it's actually more likely to wound the suit than the drones (which seems a bit mad but hey) - using the Emperor's Wrath artillery company strat it can put out 16 shots in a turn and if Overlapping Fields of Fire has already been triggered those would be hitting on 2's rerolling 1s, wounding on 4s rerolling fails. 

At least one riptide should go down very quickly. 

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [45 PL, 4CP, 648pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Detachment CP [5CP]

Vigilus Defiant [-1CP]: Emperor's Fist Tank Company

+ HQ +

Tank Commander [12 PL, 165pts]: Emperor's Fist, Heavy Bolter
. Command Executioner: Turret-mounted Executioner Plasma Cannon

Tank Commander [12 PL, 172pts]: Emperor's Fist, Heavy Bolter

Tank Commander [12 PL, 172pts]: Emperor's Fist, Heavy Bolter, Relic (Emperor's Fist): Hammer of Sunderance

+ Troops +

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 41pts]: 9x Guardsman

. 7x Guardsman

. 7x Guardsman

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [15 PL, 7CP, 273pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Detachment CP [5CP]

Imperial Commander's Armoury [-1CP]: 1 additional Heirloom of Conquest

+ HQ +

Company Commander [2 PL, 31pts]: Boltgun, Chainsword

Primaris Psyker [2 PL, 46pts]: Force Stave, Psychic Maelstrom, Terrifying Visions

+ Troops +

. 8x Guardsman

. 8x Guardsman

. 8x Guardsman

+ Elites +

Astropath [1 PL, 26pts]: Laspistol, Nightshroud

Astropath [1 PL, 26pts]: Laspistol, Psychic Barrier

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [38 PL, , 576pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Detachment CP [1CP]

Vigilus Defiant [-1CP]: Emperor's Wrath Artillery Company

+ HQ +

Company Commander [2 PL, 30pts]: Chainsword, Emperor's Wrath, Laspistol, Old Grudges, Relic (Emperor's Wrath): Agripinaa-Class Orbital Tracker, Warlord

+ Fast Attack +

Hellhounds [6 PL, 101pts]
. Hellhound: Heavy Bolter, Turret-mounted Inferno Cannon

+ Heavy Support +

Basilisks [7 PL, 108pts]: Emperor's Wrath

Basilisks [7 PL, 108pts]: Emperor's Wrath

Heavy Weapons Squad [3 PL, 33pts]

Hydras [7 PL, 93pts]: Emperor's Wrath
. Hydra: Heavy Bolter

Wyverns [6 PL, 103pts]: Emperor's Wrath
. Wyvern: Heavy Bolter

++ Total: [98 PL, 11CP, 1497pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe
Edited by MrZakalwe

The list looks very solid, but I would be conservative in your expectations to kill a easily riptide on Turn 1. 

I have played against a lot of Tau and specifically against a lot of Riptide spam lists. If the Tau player knows his stuff then you will find that he has plenty of drones all round his Riptides and they are surprisingly tough to clear away. If the Tau player goes first then he will most likely use the Nova Charge to get a 3++ save on the Riptides too. They also get easy access to a 6+ Ignore Wounds save as well via Sense of Stone from the Ethereal. 

I would say it will take you a turn to strip away most of the supporting drones and other units, it wont be until your 2nd shooting phase that you will start getting wounds through on the Riptides, if you kill one on T2 you will be doing pretty well. 

But don't panic, keep shooting and they will die. They are tough but not invincible!

Good luck and let us know how it goes :D 

Quick question Zakalwe (and sorry if it's been covered in an earlier post): how did you go about magnetizing the bases of your tanks?

I can't decide on whether to embed magnets into the tracks, stick them behind the tracks or onto the underside of the hull and have some sort of connection.

Oh and what magnet strength! What's your magnet strength!

I'd probably take the Heavy bolters out of the infantry squads. Then I'd turn the non-relic battle cannon into a punisher with the full dakka loadout. The punisher can kill the drones and the other 2 tank commanders will be able to at least cripple the Riptide even with the 3++. You just need to wound it with anything before the tank commander unload on the Riptide. Here's the math hammer for hammer of sunderance and executioner supercharged:

Executioner (getting 9 shots with pound them to dust, overlapping fields of fire and cadian rerolls) 3.752 wounds with the main gun.

Hammer of sunderance (9 shots, cadian rerolls, pound them to dust, overlapping fields of fire) 5.628 wounds.

If you round the wounds to the nearest whole number, you do 10 wounds against a 3++ Riptide.

OK as it turned out I was baited with the idea of Tau and ended up facing Alaitoc Eldar!

Was losing the shooting war (-3 to hit Hemlocks are a bugger) but won cleanly on victory points (was up 9 points in turn 4 when he conceded).

Guess I'll need to wait for another day before facing the Tau (must admit it felt very good to beat a list tailored to counter my Guard so glad this happened).

Thanks for the advice, guys, I'm sure I'll face Tau in the near future so it wont be wasted.

Edit: P.S. the Executioner was a complete waste of space against Alaitoc - Punisher it is, next time.

Quick question Zakalwe (and sorry if it's been covered in an earlier post): how did you go about magnetizing the bases of your tanks?

I can't decide on whether to embed magnets into the tracks, stick them behind the tracks or onto the underside of the hull and have some sort of connection.

Oh and what magnet strength! What's your magnet strength!

I drill holes in the bottom of the tracks and glue them in - I use N52 magnets (although being cheap and from China I suspect they may actually be a lesser grade- still pretty strong but perhaps not what they should be).

This Russ has 16 (8 sets of two stacked) 4mmx2mm magnets. That's probably excessive but I'm really terrified of the idea of one of my tanks coming loose.

b8wAEUN.jpg

Edited by duz_

Hrmm thats unfortuante that your opponent tried to misdirect you like that

That would give me pause to play them again, unless there is some kind of understanding that doing things like that is acceptable?

Thanks for posting the pic's on the magnets, I have been contemplating a magnetic system for my vehicles and have been wondering how many magnets it would require to secure them