Plastic Thunderhawk Gunship

Many thanks to all of you for your kind words!

Yes mate, that is what we are talking about, those are looking great!

How are you looking at mounting the wing heavy boaters?

I'm not sure yet; the plan is to use the original heavy weapon mounts from a Rhino/Land Raider and somehow attach them to the wings. I'll figure it out as I go since I've just recently discovered that the papercraft template I'm using differs from the original - the original has a flat surface at the wing tip, whereas the paper model (and consequently my model) have an angled surface. Because of this, the HB mount is partially suspended in air and the one thing I know is that I'll somehow have to mask the gap.

Detailing is great and you aren’t lying there’s more of it in a wing than a rhino. Seriously looking good and those details just add sugar to the eye candy!

I must say that it still is surprisingly satisfying to witness how these things come together. The bare structure usually looks decent enough, but the levels of detailing, the layout and layers of armour plating just add that 'wow factor'. I'm glad you enjoy it!

I'm losing momentum, but that's ultimately a good thing - my business is slowly recovering from the effects of the lockdown and I have more proper work to do. However, I remain determined - I will not get distracted and will continue building the gunship, so help me Emperor!

Over the last week, I were working on the exhaust nozzles for the wing-mounted engines. I went from this:

eGKykMt.jpg

yXI5ek7.jpg

tF9CZEl.jpg

To this:

WCULwvC.jpg

M8ej51K.jpg

64O15dX.jpg

I have to confirm that I still abhor doing this; cylinders and cones are my scratchbuilding nemesis - building them is tedious, time-consuming and unrewarding. Still, I decided to do it the hard way (instead of, I don't know, 3D printing those bits), so you won't hear me complaining about it - the challenge has been met.

Unfortunately, despite Brother Carpenter's recommendation regarding the central nozzle, I'm conceding and taking the -- apparently -- easier way. I just can relive the trauma of building a third nozzle like those in the photos above. Apologies brother! I loved your justification and input, I think you're absolutely right about the 'right' way to do this, but... I can't do this. The built was draining.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, brothers! I just want to let those who follow my progress know that I haven't given up, yet! Progress is being made, but it's slow. However, I still devote all my hobby time (however little of it there is!) to building the Thunderhawk.

Over the last three weeks I added some detail to the wings (mainly the flaps), started working on the rear stabiliser, the small side wings and the fuselage-mounted engine. I must say, there was a lot of work; having to replicate bits by larger numbers (4 or even 8 identical bits!) was pretty draining, but once again I pulled it off. I suppose that's a new level of masochism, but I kind of enjoy it (isn't that the definition of masochism?) and am starting to feel like 80% of the project is done and, as such, the end is near!

Photo updates are to come! I plan to post something within a week once I'm properly done-done with the pieces I'm putting together.

And here are the promised photos:

Rear engine nozzle

rHWlCUT.jpg

joLcFhd.jpg

I'll be adding more detail here and there; as you can see, this is a completely custom design - inspired with the design solution from the Xiphon; however, I went with an asymmetrical layout of details; also, I messed this up a lot, so I had to fix the cracks with green stuff. That's what you get when you want to get it over with quickly after a couple of glasses of wine, without a proper design to follow, I guess. It also seems to be a bit asymmetrical (in the bad sense of the word, i.e. I didn't put it together well enough). All in all, it looks decent and any mistakes I made in the assembly process should get lost when the bit gets attached to the model.

More details on the wings - flaps

7VyxGoC.jpg

APHQtZR.jpg

Vertical stabiliser - WIP

NZMlTq8.jpg

The T-shaped details on the flaps were a chore to make, but overall I think they've turned out great.

Small wings (s-foils, I guess) - WIP at an early stage

tWLKf1j.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Admittedly, the updates are fewer and farther between, but this doesn't mean I've given up! I feel I need to stress this because of 1. my track record with this project and 2. me wanting to paint something more and more. Despite an enormous work load, I've been managing to squeeze 30-60 minutes now and then to progress.

I decided to focus on the - apparently - most time-consuming parts that are left, i.e. the ones that I have to 'design' on my own. I am dreadful at designing stuff because I usually want to wing it and I don't have the necessary skills to use proper design tools. That's why, well, this takes so much time because I just work on the go, trying to cut pieces of plastic to match my very rough imagination of what I want and need to achieve.

That's why I pressed on with the main hull - the most crucial part because of it's where the flying stem goes and because it's where (I imagine) I will grab onto the model when moving it.

First, I worked on the "socket" for the flying stem. I have no idea where the centre of gravity is on this beast, so I will just remain hopeful that the place I chose works. I it doesn't, I will have wasted around 2-3 hours of work and will have to go with my backup plan for the flying base.

swRf0kz.jpg

With the reinforced 'socket' in place, I proceeded with building the central engine housing:

7BbTNYN.jpg

The flying stem will go into the housing and deep into the hull:

WquYPew.jpg

utIFsng.jpg

H8cfzaZ.jpg

On the inside, the panels which make up the engine housing are reinforced to make sure that the whole thing is solid. It appears to be solid, I must say - nothing bad should happen when handling the Thunderhawk:

1TiObxa.jpg

I also drew inspiration from the new iteration of the model and added an air intake on the front of the central engine. It was a simple built, but the final result is something I'm very proud of. Admittedly, it is not as large, detailed and cool as in the new FW model, but I think it works pretty well with the more modest approach to aesthetics of the original model or the Xiphon Inteceptor (or my modified variant).

kTv3Frb.jpg

5k5PPL2.jpg

yStZJYJ.jpg

hG3VhYJ.jpg

RIT72xq.jpg

Moving on the the main hull, I put much effort into making it very sturdy. The photos show successive stages of added plastic reinforcement (nothing exciting; I basically documented this for my future self, just to remind myself how many parts are inside the main hull):

xCl8bcw.jpg

8baAv7u.jpg

UP70UUr.jpg

v205Ejt.jpg

The hull "skeleton" is designed in such a way that it guided onto the bottom panel with the detailing (and central engine):

A08AUEj.jpg

NhsqvZ2.jpg

NlWO0LC.jpg

The front of the hull will, obviously, have to connect with the transport bay; since a lot relies on this connection, I made sure that it's as sturdy as possible; polystyrene cement is really helpful here, especially if applied very generously (maybe a bit too generously); however, from my hobby experience, I'm fairly certain that the bond will be enough to carry the weight of the front, especially when it is further reinforced with the external panels.

v205Ejt.jpg

8AVuBmt.jpg

And here's how the two parts align when dry-fitted. I will glue all the parts that I have been working on for the last couple of months onto these.

gXXHIsM.jpg

And here's a bonus: I couldn't help myself and I dry-fitted the whole main hull together (using magnets):

hOdQWsF.jpg

BDU6Bcr.jpg

VYaUaXm.jpg

I am extremely happy to report that the panes fit together like a charm; the misalignments are minimal. This may not be visible in the photos, mind you; but this is just a temporary, dry fit to give you an idea of where I'm at with the project.

Edited by Brother Cristopher

• 4 weeks later...

A small update. I had quite of a setback due to work overload followed by my holiday trip, but I'm still devoting all of my hobby time to the project.

I've been working on the cannon mount/housing as well as the cannon barrel.

olIyWp1.jpg

FYg1Rbs.jpg

22ASw4n.jpg

kEX6m2r.jpg

2A0OddA.jpg

EKEICSR.jpg

At this rate, I'm expecting to get this model done by October or November. Fingers crossed!

Thanks mate! I am really pleased with these parts; I suppose they look 'better' because of the "density" of details (e.g. these little rectangles on edges of SM vehicles) which is higher thank on the hull, wings and stabilisers.

I hope that over the coming weeks, the remainder of the parts that I've been working on for the last couple of months will make a similarly good impression as the most recent parts. Still, what I really hope for is that paint will make all my work 'pop'.

This week I've taken yet another break from the hobby. Next week, I plan to work on the Turbo Laser and finish it. I will need to do some custom work, however. The papercraft template I have is too simplistic and rough for my taste - the designer really cut some corners there! Still, no complaints on my part - I wouldn't have dreamt of designing a Thunderhawk myself.

• 4 weeks later...

I just want to let those who follow my progress on the project know that I haven't given up yet. Non-hobby affairs are getting into the way of my hobby time, but I perceiver, nevertheless!

The project is at an interesting stage - I really feel that I'm just steps away from finishing it, yet completion remains something still far away. I am worried that I will not be able to meet my own estimates, i.e. that I won't finish the model till the end of the year.

Surely, my own approach is getting in the way - I discovered that I am really set on making my life harder. However, this results from a lesson I learnt when I were finishing my scratch-built Land Raider - never rush things. Especially with a project of this, well, magnitude. Another week of work probably is worth it if that'll guarantee that I'm happy with how things are. Following this line of thought, I'm adding some minor details here and there; recently, I've been working on the thingies on the tips of the wings and doing it properly took me way more time that I'd imagine. Still, I suppose the result was well worth the effort. I'm currently in the process of reworking the "mounts" of the S-foils - they're rounded in the old original, whereas I want them to be more angular to better match the aesthetics of the armoured engines.

As it is today, here's what's left to do on the model:

- front and rear landing gear;

- front HB sponsons;

- wing-mounted HBs;

- wing-mounted rockets;

- air brake / flaps at the rear of the craft;

- major details on S-foils + lascannons;

- in the cockpit, font panel with flight instruments and control columns (the rest of the interior is done);

- major detail on the main cannon mantlet.

Plus minor detailing on various parts of the model - max. one day of assembly and work - I am sure of it.

I hope that you'll agree that the list isn't long, considering what I've already managed to assemble. I'd say that the model is at 85%. I also hope to have some photos to share with you by the end of the week.

I'm currently in the process of reworking the "mounts" of the S-foils - they're rounded in the old original, whereas I want them to be more angular to better match the aesthetics of the armoured engines.

This sounds really interesting, can't wait to see what you come up with!

Thanks! It isn't much really in terms of looks, but I thought it is the right thing to do since I've avoided rounded bits everywhere I could. Obviously, I now kind of regret my decision - I am absolutely useless when it comes to "designing" parts, i.e. doing them entirely from scratch, without a blueprint to follow. This makes all I do take 300% the normal time. It also turns out that there's 6x times the work involved - for instance, to add the detail I want, instead of cutting 2 stripes for the bits, I need to cut 10 shorter stripes. I'm not complaining, mind you! I have to live with the consequences of my actions and can only hope that the pay-off will be worth it (and it should be!).

EDIT - I added some photos:

The thingies at the tips of the main wings:

PbeP58W.jpg

u8aE7oU.jpg

And a sneak-peak of the S-foils' mounts:

EWwp2RF.jpg

AY082Jz.jpg

Edited by Brother Cristopher

• 2 weeks later...

I must confess, that I'm going through a bit of a crisis of faith at the moment making me question the point of the project (which is actually obvious, i.e. to have a cool looking model) and my deadline, being the end of this year. I really felt like I'm near the end of building the thing, but the end is still hours away. I suppose my current lack of motivation is a result of my limited hobby time. This week I've been working on the s-foils, basically every day, but I haven't managed to finish them yet, which is pretty frustrating, actually. However, the impression I'm getting is a false one - even though I work everyday on the model, I am able to devote just a half and hour or an hour each day. Still, with the days passing, I subconsciously feel that this is a week's worth of work with no goal achieved.

I hope that sharing these thoughts will help me overcome this difficulty and stay on track. After all, the model is almost finished ant it would be folly to drop the project now. After all, It'd be probably the only good thing coming out of this covid situation we're in, which also happens to affect me more and more.

I also really hoped to post photos of the finished parts, but since I can't meet my own deadlines, I don't know when that's going to happen. Maybe, just maybe, I'll manage to reach a satisfactory point today; otherwise, those of you who follow my progress, please keep an eye out for updates next week.

Cheers,

Krzysztof

Crises of faith, particularly under stressful circumstance, are entirely to be expected; and you have my sympathy.

It's not harmful to challenge yourself and give yourself targets – even to put yourself under a certain amount of pressure – but do bear in mind that the deadline is, at root, self-imposed. Rather than helping to motivate you towards your target (having a cool model), it sounds like the deadline is curdling your enthusiasm.

My suggestion is to tell yourself, out loud, that this is a hobby. It is your hobby; something you do to relax. When I find myself in similar circumstances, I walk away for an evening; and don't work on the piece physically. Instead, I spend the hobby time planning. Consider a colour scheme, a pilot figure, a particular detail you're looking forward to working on – anything that isn't related to the main project. Perhaps take a walk if you feel like it, or go for a jog. A little light exercise always opens up my mind for thinking – or enjoying not thinking!

I hope that doing so is time well-spent; you might find that it works a little like a circuit-breaker, and reminds you of why you began the project in the first place.

Best of luck; and while I hope to see those updates next week, there's no pressure! :smile.:

Edited by apologist

Thanks for all of this support and feedback! It really appears to be very therapeutic. The Internet can be a marvellous thing, especially with communities like this here at B&C - being able to share with people from different places and backgrounds, but who really get you is pretty cool!

Crises of faith, particularly under stressful circumstance, are entirely to be expected; and you have my sympathy.

It's not harmful to challenge yourself and give yourself targets – even to put yourself under a certain amount of pressure – but do bear in mind that the deadline is, at root, self-imposed. Rather than helping to motivate you towards your target (having a cool model), it sounds like the deadline is curdling your enthusiasm.

My suggestion is to tell yourself, out loud, that this is a hobby. It is your hobby; something you do to relax. When I find myself in similar circumstances, I walk away for an evening; and don't work on the piece physically. Instead, I spend the hobby time planning. Consider a colour scheme, a pilot figure, a particular detail you're looking forward to working on – anything that isn't related to the main project. Perhaps take a walk if you feel like it, or go for a jog. A little light exercise always opens up my mind for thinking – or enjoying not thinking!

I hope that doing so is time well-spent; you might find that it works a little like a circuit-breaker, and reminds you of why you began the project in the first place.

Best of luck; and while I hope to see those updates next week, there's no pressure! :smile.:

Thank you very much, I think that you really helped me pinpoint one of the root causes for my current low morale! It's the lack of exercise, or more specifically lack of spending time outside that really bums me out. In normal working weeks, I tend to walk and jog between 25 and 35 kilometres per week. This week, it's been only 5 due to bad weather and the reinstated requirement to wear face masks outside at all times; walking or hiking with a piece of cloth on your mouth and nose in a drizzle isn't exactly fun. And since I work on a computer all day, it's that much harder to muster the will and motivation to enjoy a hobby which involves sitting! Now, all of this seems obvious, but being inside the box, it's sometimes hard to see what's out there.

Apologist, honestly - thank you for that remark - it really got me thinking and I suppose I will be able to readjust my approach to the project.

Sounds like burnout, might be an idea to take a few days off.

Deadlines are good but not if you are punishing yourself to get it done especially if self imposed.

It's healthy to set aside projects when burnout happens.

You might return to it in a few months or years.

I say relax :smile.:, this hobby isn't supposed to be stressful.

I am taking time off and trying not to rush anything to avoid burnout. It worked out so far, luckily. I also hope that I will soon recover from this mishap. If I don't within days, I will definitely take your advice and take a proper break - I'll probably read a book or do some such thing. But as stated above, my current state of mind and frustration is a result of other circumstances.

I am also lucky enough to have what I consider to be a healthy approach to the hobby - I do Warhammer-related stuff only when I fancy so and am comfortable with "wasting" time on the hobby. After all, a hobby to me is just that - time "wasted" in terms efficiency/money/development, but time well-spent in terms of enjoying life. It's also the only time I can devote to listining to audio books or video essays / reviews on Youtube. And usually I really enjoy working on 40k stuff or my other hobbies.

However, I cannot (i.e. don't want to) take a voluntary break that's longer than, say, a week. I know myself well enough and am afraid that I'll forfeit the project for an indefinite period. That's the reason I impose these deadlines on myself: I want to finish the Thunderhawk and start doing other, smaller (and more reasonable!) 40K-related things, like painting my Marines and what not. But this is a good thing and it works for me, at lest for now - I don't suffer from fatigue on this front.