Plastic Thunderhawk Gunship

I am happy to report that I made progress over the weekend. The work I did focused on the main wings (detail work), the way they attach to the main fuselage (adjustments plus detail work) and on the last tiny details on the sides of the main fuselage, that I forgot about earlier. When it comes to milestones, I achieved everything I planned to do over the weekend. But the work itself was a chore - I felt a bit frustrated with the project for the first time in over a month. It seems that my frustration stems from not meeting short-term deadlines or underestimating the time involved in completing parts of the model. This time, doing stuff with the wings really got to me when I realised that in around 3 hours I achieved so little - I were mostly going back and forth a dry-fitting parts and fiddling with the magnets which lock the wings in the right position without doing any tangible work.

I also messed up some detailing on the wings; it's not a big difference, but the parts on the top side of the wing, on the strip between the fuselage and the engine housing, are not symmetrical - they're misaligned by a small margin, between 1 and 1.5 mm - not much, but felt quite annoyed with myself when I discovered it. For some reason didn't bother to compare the two as I assembled them. Still, I'm not redoing that and hope to forget about the mishap. It is only visible when you look at the model from the top and I'm sure that there are many other similar asymmetries here and there.

I'm not complaining, though. I'm sharing my not-so-great experience with you, so take it as a cautionary tale :wink: Don't scratch build things so large - it can get into your head!

Photos will soon follow - I don't have my camera with me now.

The to-do list is also significantly shorter now! The only things left to build from scratch are 1. the landing gear hydraulics (I will be cutting corners here! I intend to do the bare minimum and go for a landing gear that is functional in the sense that it's enough to support the model and look half-decently; I do not intend to recreate the layout of the original model's hydraulics, nor care if what I'll build makes 'sense' from a technical point of view - i.e. whether it would work/retract in the real world, considering the layout of pistons and what-not) and 2. weapon systems (botlers and rockets). Minor details still to do include retro thrusters, front ramp opening mechanism, air brakes, "lining" for compartments into which the retractable landing gear goes and a "front" panel in the cockpit with some monitors and the control columns for the pilots.

The plan for this week is to have all the sub-assemblies, with the exclusion of the landing gear hydraulics and weapons, ready for the final photo shoot. Call me sentimental, but I suppose that in the future, I'd love to have an opportunity and review the effort I went through; I also think that it will be cool and satisfying to see all the major parts prepped for assembly, before they make up the whole thing. Later, I will want to assemble the rear fuselage and start to work on the landing gear.

Edited by Brother Cristopher

Sorry for double posting. Here are the promised photos of the wings::

Rear:

v9ewvAF.jpg

Front:

0vHc0yi.jpg

Top:

xfoSGtD.jpg

Both magnetised to the sides of the fuselage:

HPx8xCt.jpg

Rear:

hXdBgXF.jpg

Details on the engine covers:

QZSulFE.jpg

Wing tips:

GUAqcI0.jpg

Test photo showing how (roughly) parallel the wings are in vertical position:

HyDfNHS.jpg

Test photo showing how (roughly) parallel the wings are in horizontal position:

Q3fS4FU.jpg

Hidden in the spoiler code, you will find the same photos with marked updates. Since 90% of the parts are ready, I suppose it'll be helpful to show you what changed from the last time I posted the photos:

a3Tj4YO.jpg

q6K6Onv.jpg

cFltFNT.jpg

And the mistakes I made marked with green arrows:

W5JQxik.jpg

Lovely to see that everything is coming together.

When you described the mistakes, I had imagined a different kind of misalignment where the wings stuck out at slightly different angles which would have been a pain to correct. The panel misalignment must be very annoying to you, the maker, but rest assured they will be impossible to see on the fully assembled model (as you pointed out yourself).

Speaking of which, I look forward to seeing the ‘group shot’ of the subassemblies.

Sorry guys for the late reply! I'm away from anything fun-related due to an extremely heavy workload; this week is being extremely good, but at the same time quite rough in terms of available leisure time.

@NightHunters and @Naryn - Thank you! I hope not to disappoint any of you and post regularly! Also, I feel that the end-of-the-year deadline is feasible.

Lovely to see that everything is coming together.

When you described the mistakes, I had imagined a different kind of misalignment where the wings stuck out at slightly different angles which would have been a pain to correct. The panel misalignment must be very annoying to you, the maker, but rest assured they will be impossible to see on the fully assembled model (as you pointed out yourself).

Speaking of which, I look forward to seeing the ‘group shot’ of the subassemblies.

I can imagine that you were thinking about a different mistake and a different part of the vehicle. I actually think that I'm rambling incomprehensibly about the various parts of the vehicle that I'm working on. I think it's not so much about the language barrier, but it's got more to do with me having no clue what these parts I'm thinking of and referring to actually are (and therefore what they are called, in any language). That's why I'm even more impressed and grateful that there are people willing to go through what I'm typing! I mean, I know what the basic major parts of a vehicle are called, but a sub-section of a sub-part of a part... that's too much to handle and process.

Regarding the misalignment, I'm not bothered by it. At all. Well, maybe a bit ;) But I'm doing my best not to obsess about it.

When completed you will have achieved martyrdom, fantastic work and effort.

Yes - indeed. I already feel like a martyr, to be frank, considering the pains and struggles. The project is great and very satisfying but, at times, it becomes a bit overwhelming.

And thank you for using Future Perfect ;) I'll allow myself to go a bit off-topic, but a friend of mine claims that no native uses that tense - I can finally prove him wrong, haha!

Last week was a real battle, proffesional-wise. I didn't manage to do much work on the Thunderhawk, but my goals were met.

I did the slanting bit at the end of the central engine housing:

BHwuvBj.jpg

And I did some work on the details on the bottom of the rear fuselage.

Work included, the outer layer with 'details', i.e. rectangular cut-outs and - in the future - rivets around the compartments where retracted landing gear would be stored, if it actually moved ;)

YADfoWw.jpg

And here's my take on the small vent-like-oval-thingies on the bottom of the original, which I decided to transform into small, retarded-looking retro thrusters (if you can call them this - the idea is that they are able to move about and provide thrust in zero-gravity to allow for more manoeuvrability). The design idea was taken from the thrusters on the Stormtalon, only they're 4-5 times smaller and... worse ;) I'm pretty much on the fence with these - I am not entirely convinced that I like them, but they surely take the details on the bottom of the fuselage to the next level; they're also uniform with the choices I made earlier. So... it seems that since I went along with the idea, I must subconsciously like it.

n8N9l8o.jpg

oAGAV5e.jpg

g6d45Ay.jpg

I also added a vertical beam/stripe/divider to the grilles on the back of the fuselage:

pmma6c3.jpg

TSlNxhh.jpg

The next step in the project delivery is... a photo shoot and assembly of the entire rear fuselage.

FINALLY. I hereby declare that all planned prefabricated parts are ready. They're stored in a box:

8TeUu87.jpg

Once I make sure that all the prefabricated parts fit together relatively nicely, make adjustments to mishaps and go through the final-finishing-touches (round vents, sensors in the recesses, rivets), I'll assemble the landing gear. What's next, I've no idea - I probably should paint and assemble the interior of the cockpit and work on the secondary weapon systems (rockets, bolters).

Thank you, brothers! Your words are an amazing source of inspiration and motivation!

"What's next, I've no idea"

Oh yes, I suggest you start on a scratch build of a sokar stormbird.

:FA:  :teehee: :FA:  Fast attack galore!

Good luck

I have no idea what to do next with this project; with everything almost ready, I suddenly feel a bit lost. However, it seems that I'll be doing the landing gear hydraulics next.

I'm also wondering what to do with it - the original kit has the rear landing gear hydraulics at an angle, with the feet extending slightly to the side.

33877_sm-.jpg

However, the papercraft model that I'm using has the pistons positioned perpendicularly to the feet/ground. On the one hand, I'd like to pursue the original look, but it involves more design work on my part. On the other, the perpendicular setup appear not to look that much different - the feet appear to be roughly in the same spot, with their external edges extending to the wing engine's housing, similarly to what I found in the render below:

thunderhawk_3d_model_c4d_max_obj_fbx_ma_

thunderhawk_3d_model_c4d_max_obj_fbx_ma_

Looks and fidelity aside, I feel that making the pistons perpendicular to the "floor" might just be the more reasonable option since this should ensure that the model is more stable; i.e. the model will rest on two supports and it's weight will push directly down.

I'm worried that the setup like in the original, with the pistons at an angle, seems to be potentially more problematic and flimsy since the weight of the model might make the landing gear go apart or even break, if I won't design the housing for the pistons correctly.

Do you think that cutting corners going for a more sturdy and reliable solution when it comes to looks of the landing gear will have a negative impact on the model as a whole?

Why not Both?

Have a big vertical piston, with an implied pivot at the top, 

and then a couple, one each side, angled pistons hinged from the front of the bay for stability.

I imagine they would be there so it doesn’t snap if there is still some forward momentum on touch down.

thats how I would go!

Edited by NightHunters

And now I see what you actually mean,

So angled out from the side of the fuselage or directly underneath righ?

Reckon if you mount them wide enough you should be fine, and from there a little angle with a wee brace at the top should be achievable without compromising the load bearing capacity too much.

And now I see what you actually mean,

So angled out from the side of the fuselage or directly underneath righ?

Reckon if you mount them wide enough you should be fine, and from there a little angle with a wee brace at the top should be achievable without compromising the load bearing capacity too much.

That's what I meant. The feet should be wide enough to support the Thunderhawk either way.

I couldn't fault you for taking either approaches.

I'd try to make it look like the original. I've had a number of model planes and helicopters when I was a kid, and while they were significantly lighter than your plastic monster of the skies, they stood on such spindly running gear pistons, some of them were hardly a milimeter thick. If anything ever broke on them it was the rotor blades. They've got so old, the paint got chipped away. Survived moving to a new house thrice. Landing gear never broke.

Plus, FW makes theirs out of resin, which tends to be more fragile and doesn't glue as well as plastic.

I guess you could always put a metal pin in the joints for extra safety.

However, the project having ran as long as it did, it's fine to simplify it and finish up as quick as you can, if that's what you decide - even if it looks a little bit awkward with the straight landing gear. In case of the papercraft one, it might not have been feasible to follow the original, and on that render, the artist just missed a detail. More actually, like the nose doesn't seem to taper :smile.:

You're probably right about the sturdiness of those; considering the weight of the resin model, I've nothing to worry about.

Thanks for pushing me towards the right and diligent way ;) I think I'll leave some of the decision to chance. Firstly, I'll work on the undercarriage's - add some detail imitating hydraulics on the load-bearing pistons and once I get them up to the right looks (and diameter), I'll try to fix them at an angle. I suppose that my options can also be limited by the way I built the model, following the template for the papercraft model.

The original feels really, really right and cool, especially when you look directly at the front or back.

I hope to have some work done this weekend. The last two or three weeks were very professionally productive, causing a major setback with for project. That's why I'll probably fail to meet the deadline, but being a freelancer I have to set my priorities straight - when there's work, you've gotta do it, for the honour of the Emperor!

• 2 weeks later...

After a thoroughly absorbing two weeks of hardcore real-life work (I imagine that the Emperor approves of this decision; through prioritisation and toil, we honour him greatly!), I am happy to report that I have recommenced my effort with the model. With the two weeks that fell out of schedule, I am afraid that I won't be able to meet the end-of-the-year deadline, though.

I will post a photo update once there is something significant to show. I started working on the pistons which support the rear landing gear (set an angle, towards the wings, similarly to the original!) but needed to use putty to finish them (proof that I am not good at designing stuff and working on cylindrical bits; I figured that I'll try to wing it and I must say, that I quite successfully managed to do that!) so, while the putty cured, I also started to mass produce heavy bolters for the front and wings.

While I feel that I made progress, there isn't much to show for now - just some half-baked pistons and a set of 8 cuboids which serve as a base for the heavy bolters.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome, Brethren, in 2021. My plastic Thunderhawk Gunship project is not finished, despite my reasonable efforts. December was tough professionally and, towards its end, during the holiday break, I just couldn't bear myself to jump start my modelling efforts. Today is the first day I managed to get round to doing something in two weeks and I see this as a success.

Currently I'm considering two scenarios for my hobby time: focus on the Thunderhawk and get it done ASAP or roll with the failure to complete it in 2020 and proceed with my resolution to start painting stuff again. The plan for the next week is to see whether I can find time to do something hobby related regularly and work on the Gunship; should I split time between model-making and painting, it will happen not sooner than next week.

In retrospect, I'm pretty happy to report that I don't regret resurrecting the Thunderhawk project. Sure, I spent hours upon hours working on it which, obviously, prevented me painting and delays the completion of my Crusade, but most of that time was pretty fun and satisfying (minus the mishap here and there). The break was also somewhat reinvigorating; at first I struggled to overcome this strong feeling of wanting to build the model, but not wanting to actually sit down and assembling it*, but once this is out of the way, I feel that I'm back on track... just a couple of months later than I hoped and anticipated.

As for some changes to the project, I figured that 1. I will build all heavy bolters laid out as in the original, i.e. 2 wing-mounted HBs and 2 sponson-mounted HB at the nose and 2. I will not add rockets to the wings as per the original. The latter is dictated mostly by the design of the wings I constructed - the detailing differs from the original kit and I'd struggle to fit 2 (not to mention 3!) underslung rockets. However, I might add some storm-raven-styled rockets later. The priority now is to finish the model, though.

*Most of this was probably due to fearing to work on things I have to design myself, i.e. the undercarriage.

Cheers honoured battle-brother! :D Welcome to this side of the 2020!

Happy to hear you're still going with this project. Definitely go for the HBs. Rockets can always be added later and it even fits the setting that old tech (and Thunderhawk is definitely that) gets built over with newer additions. Often not entirely proper or matching but who cares as long as they are properly blessed :rolleyes: 

The thunderhawk project seems like a complicated and a long project, If you feel like painting something else for a while do that, a few weeks here and there doesn't matter the way I see it, this project is a once in a life time thing that few others on the planet can do and probably nobody else will do.

its better to spend a few weeks painting other sthings and recuperate yourself mentally than burning yourself out wih spending all your hobby time with cutting and gluing plasticard for this behemoth of a project.

Thanks for leaving comments and words of encouragement!

Well, pod-mounted rockets would make more sense anyway; who in their right mind exposes high-explosive warheads to the heat of atmospheric entry?

I find this whole " I want to get it done but I don't want to get it done " thing to be a natural part of the creative process, so don't worry about it. Sooner or later the urge to create overcomes the shackles we hold ourselves back with, and amazing stuff happens. Until we'd rather stare into empty space again.

Oh, and about the undercarriage: Imagine if you had to also make it functional; able to collapse and extend to travel and landing positions, all the while conforming to a videogame's arbitrary rules (ex; "You see player, you might not think these parts collide mid-movement, but my code tells me to get them stuck half-open anyway.") That's what I was having fun with. Now they work but look wrong. Rebuilding time!

I see that you get me! But enough is enough - no more staring into empty space!

Don't get me started on making it functional. I spent probably too much time inspecting photos of the undercarriage I found online and can't figure out how it's supposed to retract into the housing. I thought I knew, but yesterday I realised that the part I thought made it more or less feasible is in the wrong place; I'll just do my best to make it sturdy enough to support the model and look like the solution on the original (which is a bit tough due to structural differences between the papercraft template I've used and the original kit) and won't bother with it any more. I. WILL. NOT. BOTHER. WITH. IT. I need to tell this myself to make it real.

About the rockets being 'exposed', especially in the context you mentioned, that's also something that's hard to explain - I mean, they probably look cool, but it makes so much more sense to protect them, especially that the "tech" is there - most (I think apart from the Xiphhon and Storm Bird) space Marine flyers use rocket pods.

Cheers honoured battle-brother! :biggrin.: Welcome to this side of the 2020!

Happy to hear you're still going with this project. Definitely go for the HBs. Rockets can always be added later and it even fits the setting that old tech (and Thunderhawk is definitely that) gets built over with newer additions. Often not entirely proper or matching but who cares as long as they are properly blessed :rolleyes:

Cheers, my fellow countryman!

I might magnetise the rocket pods. The entire craft, with the numerous alterations, is heresy, but it makes sense considering the fluff for my Crusade, being stranded on a forge world and being forced to make do with limited resources.

The thunderhawk project seems like a complicated and a long project, If you feel like painting something else for a while do that, a few weeks here and there doesn't matter the way I see it, this project is a once in a life time thing that few others on the planet can do and probably nobody else will do.

its better to spend a few weeks painting other sthings and recuperate yourself mentally than burning yourself out wih spending all your hobby time with cutting and gluing plasticard for this behemoth of a project.

You're right there! Who'd have thought that pursuing hobby goals involves so much planning, eh?

Painting is 'better' in the sense that it gives an almost instant sense of accomplishment. You can paint a model in 1-2 hours and see actual progress; with a project this big, it's not that simple. As I said, I might pick my brush up in the near future - right now I want to use the momentum to my advantage and do my best to get the Thunderhawk ready for priming.

Correct me if i'm wrong but the th lands and takes off vertically is it not.

Then the gear only has to support the downwards pressure of the weight of the craft.

You could dispense with all the landing gear movement shenannigans and opt for a set of hydr pistons.

They can be multi collapsable when in need of space. Look at pistons used for dumper trucks dump beds to get the idea.

Further best wishes for m2 021.

Motivationally speaking you could use your painting urge to complete the th. I can paint it after it's done.

That's how i got my thesis finished this christmas. As a reward i entered the sons of dorn expansion with a dread.

Edited by Brother Carpenter

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to let all who are interested in this project know that suspending works; however, I swear by the Emperor that I shall not abandon it. Not now, not at this stage!

My decision is somewhat forced on me by real-life stuff. With increasingly limited hobby time, I decided to switch priorities for the next couple of months. I need a change as well as something more easily gratifying or motivating, that's why I shifted to assembling proper and usable models. If you're interested, I am and will be posting progress here. I will not lie that my decision is also partly motivated by me having played some games of 40K and found it extremely frustrating not being able to field units that I'd like and that I actually have. To remedy this, I decided to push on the infantry and biker front and have all my outstanding non-vehicle models ready for priming in the nearest future. This is also something that's been keeping me preoccupied for the last month - slowly ploughing through my unkempt collection.

As I have sworn, I will not abandon my Thunderhawk. However, with me having usually between 30 and 60 minutes of miniature time per two days (miniatures are not my top priority right now), I prefer to work on something that can actually be done in that amount of time and that I can use in a game after I had bought it between 2 and 4 years ago.

In retrospect, I have made many mistakes with my approach to the hobby... I collected and neglected miniatures hoping to work on them in the future since Space Marines were supposed to be the safe bet; with Primaris, there's always a shadow of doubt. Still, regardless of GW, I have grown to incredibly appreciate my collection for what it is - a collection of models that I can work on and by doing so take my mind off other things. And the Thunderhawk shall be the centrepiece of that collection, so help me Dorn.