Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Plastic Thunderhawk Gunship - Nearing Completion!

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

MetalMammoth

MetalMammoth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 291 posts

Well, pod-mounted rockets would make more sense anyway; who in their right mind exposes high-explosive warheads to the heat of atmospheric entry?

I find this whole " I want to get it done but I don't want to get it done " thing to be a natural part of the creative process, so don't worry about it. Sooner or later the urge to create overcomes the shackles we hold ourselves back with, and amazing stuff happens. Until we'd rather stare into empty space again.

Oh, and about the undercarriage: Imagine if you had to also make it functional; able to collapse and extend to travel and landing positions, all the while conforming to a videogame's arbitrary rules (ex; "You see player, you might not think these parts collide mid-movement, but my code tells me to get them stuck half-open anyway.") That's what I was having fun with. Now they work but look wrong. Rebuilding time!

• Brother Cristopher likes this

Majkhel

Majkhel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,261 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Cheers honoured battle-brother! :D Welcome to this side of the 2020!

Happy to hear you're still going with this project. Definitely go for the HBs. Rockets can always be added later and it even fits the setting that old tech (and Thunderhawk is definitely that) gets built over with newer additions. Often not entirely proper or matching but who cares as long as they are properly blessed rolleyesclean.gif 

WIP thread - Blood Angels 5th Company "Daemonbanes"  ||   Other things&projects
gallery_58096_14832_1433.gifgallery_62972_14467_3723.jpgsml_gallery_48988_16308_8698.pnggallery_105306_14812_3271.pnggallery_105306_14812_1034.pnggallery_105306_14812_1799.gifgallery_105306_14812_2682.gifgallery_48988_15094_2398.pnggallery_48988_15094_3315.pngsml_gallery_48988_11572_5890.png

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." ~W. Churchill

Spoiler

Imren

Imren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 717 posts
  • Faction: Legio XX

The thunderhawk project seems like a complicated and a long project, If you feel like painting something else for a while do that, a few weeks here and there doesn't matter the way I see it, this project is a once in a life time thing that few others on the planet can do and probably nobody else will do.

its better to spend a few weeks painting other sthings and recuperate yourself mentally than burning yourself out wih spending all your hobby time with cutting and gluing plasticard for this behemoth of a project.

Brother Cristopher

Brother Cristopher

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,032 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

Thanks for leaving comments and words of encouragement!

Well, pod-mounted rockets would make more sense anyway; who in their right mind exposes high-explosive warheads to the heat of atmospheric entry?

I find this whole " I want to get it done but I don't want to get it done " thing to be a natural part of the creative process, so don't worry about it. Sooner or later the urge to create overcomes the shackles we hold ourselves back with, and amazing stuff happens. Until we'd rather stare into empty space again.

Oh, and about the undercarriage: Imagine if you had to also make it functional; able to collapse and extend to travel and landing positions, all the while conforming to a videogame's arbitrary rules (ex; "You see player, you might not think these parts collide mid-movement, but my code tells me to get them stuck half-open anyway.") That's what I was having fun with. Now they work but look wrong. Rebuilding time!

I see that you get me! But enough is enough - no more staring into empty space!

Don't get me started on making it functional. I spent probably too much time inspecting photos of the undercarriage I found online and can't figure out how it's supposed to retract into the housing. I thought I knew, but yesterday I realised that the part I thought made it more or less feasible is in the wrong place; I'll just do my best to make it sturdy enough to support the model and look like the solution on the original (which is a bit tough due to structural differences between the papercraft template I've used and the original kit) and won't bother with it any more. I. WILL. NOT. BOTHER. WITH. IT. I need to tell this myself to make it real.

About the rockets being 'exposed', especially in the context you mentioned, that's also something that's hard to explain - I mean, they probably look cool, but it makes so much more sense to protect them, especially that the "tech" is there - most (I think apart from the Xiphhon and Storm Bird) space Marine flyers use rocket pods.

Cheers honoured battle-brother! biggrin.png Welcome to this side of the 2020!

Happy to hear you're still going with this project. Definitely go for the HBs. Rockets can always be added later and it even fits the setting that old tech (and Thunderhawk is definitely that) gets built over with newer additions. Often not entirely proper or matching but who cares as long as they are properly blessed rolleyesclean.gif

Cheers, my fellow countryman!

I might magnetise the rocket pods. The entire craft, with the numerous alterations, is heresy, but it makes sense considering the fluff for my Crusade, being stranded on a forge world and being forced to make do with limited resources.

The thunderhawk project seems like a complicated and a long project, If you feel like painting something else for a while do that, a few weeks here and there doesn't matter the way I see it, this project is a once in a life time thing that few others on the planet can do and probably nobody else will do.

its better to spend a few weeks painting other sthings and recuperate yourself mentally than burning yourself out wih spending all your hobby time with cutting and gluing plasticard for this behemoth of a project.

You're right there! Who'd have thought that pursuing hobby goals involves so much planning, eh?

Painting is 'better' in the sense that it gives an almost instant sense of accomplishment. You can paint a model in 1-2 hours and see actual progress; with a project this big, it's not that simple. As I said, I might pick my brush up in the near future - right now I want to use the momentum to my advantage and do my best to get the Thunderhawk ready for priming.

• MetalMammoth likes this

MetalMammoth

MetalMammoth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 291 posts

Wow, you actually wanted to make the landing gear foldable?
That's ambitious!

The original only has solid, non-moving "legs" with the option to model them either closed or open.
While building mine in that videogame I mentioned, I've found it's impossible to make it work if they look like the original; The artist didn't need to bother with it, so he just made something that looks good.

On the front, there's no room above the main arm for the support piston to go if folded up,

and on the rear, you'd need the main arm to retract half it's length via a piston, but looks like only the last 1/5th would be able to move, and the diagonal support piston wouldn't be able to retract at all - both halves are the same thickness.

Something like this could work if you REALLY want to make live landing gear, but solid ones are great for a model.

gallery_199706_16322_41090.png

And here it is in virtual action, still without support pistons - excuse the quality, it fell victim to the 2mb upload limit.

gallery_199706_16322_170619.gif

Edited by MetalMammoth, 09 January 2021 - 01:04 AM.

• NKirkham24 and Brother Carpenter like this

Brother Carpenter

Brother Carpenter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 264 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars, Steel legion
Correct me if i'm wrong but the th lands and takes off vertically is it not.
Then the gear only has to support the downwards pressure of the weight of the craft.
You could dispense with all the landing gear movement shenannigans and opt for a set of hydr pistons.
They can be multi collapsable when in need of space. Look at pistons used for dumper trucks dump beds to get the idea.
Further best wishes for m2 021.
Motivationally speaking you could use your painting urge to complete the th. I can paint it after it's done.
That's how i got my thesis finished this christmas. As a reward i entered the sons of dorn expansion with a dread.

Edited by Brother Carpenter, 10 January 2021 - 10:16 AM.

ETL VI Banner ETL VI Magister Faction Astartes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users