Termite Assault Drill movement speed on arrival?

Techmarine Harkus

What speed do we think the Terrax Termite Assault Drill is considered to be moving on the turn it arrives from deep strike?

• On the one hand, the main rules say that deep striking vehicles are considered to be moving at cruising speed on the turn they arrive.

• On the other, the Terrax has the special rule 'Crawling Advance' which means it may never move faster than combat speed.

Since special rule trumps standard rule, that would lead me to think combat speed.

However, the deep strike rules do say that even immobile vehicles are considered to have moved at cruising speed on the turn they arrive...

The termite therefore falls into a gap the rules don't specifically cover to explain whether it should be cruising speed, because the intention seems to be that all vehicles arriving by deep strike should be moving this fast, or whether the intention was that it should be moving at combat speed, because it simply cannot go faster than that.

This might seem like mountains out of mole hills (sort-of pun intended), but it makes a big difference to how the vehicle works. If it's combat speed, then the unit inside can disembark on the turn it arrives, and the termite gets to fire a weapon at full BS. Otherwise, it can only snap fire and the occupants must wait until the following turn to disembark.

In my opinion, I think it should be combat speed, because special rule > general rule and also, a drop pod for example does move very fast, before it hits the gound and becomes immobile, but the terrax never moved quickly at any point in it's arrival, so it makes sense thematically too. The counter argument to the fluffy explanation would of course be that it just crawled out of the ground, so it would take time for it to clear the hole and deploy it's weapons.

I'm basically undecided so I would appreciate a discussion, or any examples of a similar scenario that has already been FAQ'd etc.

What speed do we think the Terrax Termite Assault Drill is considered to be moving on the turn it arrives from deep strike?

• On the one hand, the main rules say that deep striking vehicles are considered to be moving at cruising speed on the turn they arrive.
  • On the other, the Terrax has the special rule 'Crawling Advance' which means it may never move faster than combat speed.

Since special rule trumps standard rule, that would lead me to think combat speed.

However, the deep strike rules do say that even immobile vehicles are considered to have moved at cruising speed on the turn they arrive...

The termite therefore falls into a gap the rules don't specifically cover to explain whether it should be cruising speed, because the intention seems to be that all vehicles arriving by deep strike should be moving this fast, or whether the intention was that it should be moving at combat speed, because it simply cannot go faster than that.

This might seem like mountains out of mole hills (sort-of pun intended), but it makes a big difference to how the vehicle works. If it's combat speed, then the unit inside can disembark on the turn it arrives, and the termite gets to fire a weapon at full BS. Otherwise, it can only snap fire and the occupants must wait until the following turn to disembark.

In my opinion, I think it should be combat speed, because special rule > general rule and also, a drop pod for example does move very fast, before it hits the gound and becomes immobile, but the terrax never moved quickly at any point in it's arrival, so it makes sense thematically too. The counter argument to the fluffy explanation would of course be that it just crawled out of the ground, so it would take time for it to clear the hole and deploy it's weapons.

I'm basically undecided so I would appreciate a discussion, or any examples of a similar scenario that has already been FAQ'd etc.

I'll handle it just like a Dreadclaw.

They can disembark.

I'll handle it just like a Dreadclaw.

They can disembark.

I'm glad you brought that up. I've gone digging because I've not used a Dreadclaw before, and realised that that the problem I've posed is actually because I've misread something!

Vehicles move at Combat speed when they arrive from Deep Strike, not Crusing speed as I thought - so the issue if disembarking is a non-issue.

No idea where I got that from. I had rulebooks open when I posted too.

Just ignore me I guess.

Archived