Experiences in Different Kill Zones

Calyptra

Each Kill Zone has its own rules, scenarios, and universal tactics. Have you played on them yet? What did you think? Did the game feel different from playing on Zone Imperialis? Do you have a favorite so far?

To date, I've only played on Zone Imperialis, but I'm seriously considering buying the Deathworld zone. So far players around me have been cheerfully using any terrain available and not bothering with zone-specific rules (mostly because nobody's bought any of the zones).

I've got enough Sector Imperialis terrain to make interesting Kill Team layouts, so we've been using that. I also have some Sector Mechanicus stuff, so I expect that'll come into play sometime too. As far as the special rules for Zones, we've been skipping them... I have a hard enough time remembering all the rules, tactics and strategems in the base game, let alone terrain-specific stuff :biggrin.:

The Secotor mechanicum set (haven't played on my munitorum field yet) has felt consistently different and I'd say a lot more lethal in the pipe bursts and what not than the Sector Imperialis.  I do find that they are different enough to be enjoyable, and the stratagems have been at least a little neat... though man, nothing hurts more than Death Guard and Necrons during a ground tremour where your movement gets cut in half and you're stuck in the middle of nowhere.  

It's not going to be some totally new game, but it's enough that we started playing the sector specific rules every time we get a match in.  

I've not had a chance to play on different zones yet, but I've read the rules for a couple of them and I'm looking forward to trying them out.

The munitorum has some fun tactics in, nothing i think will be game breaking but they look like a blast.

You can take control of the servo haulers and move them around, attack with the cranes and a few other things like that :)

I enjoy playing sector imperialism from the box and do enjoy playing on it, I was always walking around the board checking angles and seeing if I was obscured fully.

As for sector mechanicus, I've got it painted and ready to go plus extras that I've brought to add to it, and it looks great set up, more open spaces than imperialis in my opinion.

Getting the other KT terrain sets is worth it, saving heaps. Plus the mechanicus terrain can be made is so many ways.

For Death World terrain, it looks to be more open than mechanicus terrain but you also have the terrain trying to kill you aswell, so that added a whole new element to the game. I'll be buying it along side either death watch or the dark Eldar sets. Thinking about it I'm leaning towards dark Eldar as I haven't got a team of them yet, but in saying that, adding more death watch is always great.

Bugger it, just too much to get for kill team, the KT is just plastic crack, can never get enough.

Finally played sector munitorum and had a lot of fun with the stow away mission (where attackers had to hide in cargo containers). My favorite thing was moving the servo haulers as mobile obstruction from enemy snipers. There were other goodies to spend CP on too like getting bonuses for shooting at enemies behind crates and barrels among others. 

It was fun and it actually makes me want all the killzones now just for all the extra shenanigans to try out.

Sector Munitorum is a bit more lethal than sector imperialis (e.g. the collapsing containers effect makes people want to stay away from the board edges).

Half the tactics manipulate servo haulers in some way.

Some let you use the containers for supply or using the storm bolters.

The included missions are nice, with the aforementioned "hide in containers" mission being reminiscent of the older kill team games.

There's a bit of a hidden feature in the munitorum container/servo hauler kit: On the back of the box (and nowhere else in the instructions or anywhere) there's an image of a servo hauler hauling a munitorum container - turns out instead of the crane you can put a munitorum container on the trailer. That's a nice option which allows some variety.

I'm really liking this box.

Only thing I do not like is that the munitorum side of the included board does not tile properly, e.g. when putting two of them side by side for a four player game, you end up with a noticeable discontinuity in the board image.

Aye, Exilyth, the misalignment really botheres the OCD out of me (when we want to play that 3-4 player match)  I kinda wonder if that's a direct result of the original tiles being 22"X30" versions of the plastic sector Imperialis so the weird measurements play havoc with alignment.  

Just hazarding a guess, I've seen the sector Imperalis tiles at the shop but I don't know anyone who has them to see if that might be the case. And 22X30... who does that? 

22”x30” is a weird size but I do love how easy it is to set up anywhere and play. Kitchen counter, coffee table, practically anywhere.

I wouldn’t mind trying a 3x3 in the future. 4x4 was alright but felt like a lot of ground to cover.

Hah, mate, I totally getcha.  The 'bring a board' thing was genius on GW's part, especially as it is nice stock and dual sided with one 'standard' imperalis and then the other 'themed' board of the week.  But man the 22" thing gets me.  I would like 24"X24" or 24"X30" even, but it feels like it's juuuuuust a little off.  But yeah, the fact that me and a mate of mine played a game of kill team in the same space that some Magic the Gathering games were going on was terrific. 

Sounds cool actually. I’m really enjoying KT a lot. I picked up the Deathwatch set and super quickly painted the terrain. It made me want to get the Death world set and do more. Honestly that surprises me because I really hated all the pictures I’ve seen of it. Ideally I wish the terrain had an effect in 40k.

Ok kill team has taken over from playing 40k for and just loving the game.

So looking at getting the death world set, if anyone has it and played it I'd love to hear your experiences on it.

Aswell as the death world set im looking at the dark eldar set for extra terrain, is it worth it? Plus don't have a dark elder kill team yet

I love the effort of transporting the Death world terrain to 40k I think it just gives a bit too far. The idea of the Eldar runes affecting the Psychic phase is really cool.

Still I think after finishing my DW mini forest I’m gong to buy the Death world KT box set.

That is a cool idea. I never read the books but I played the iphone game of Eisenhorn and those mausoleum's would be turned into these cryo-crypt vaults used on one world to store their leaders. Add some gubbins like control panels and tubing and you'd be set.

Personally I've been eyeing those for Mordheim.

*If you get/make those vaults you could even use it with that Stow Away mission from the munitorum set. But instead of hiding away attackers are trying to shut down the vaults while defenders obviously try to stop them with some rules tweaks. At the end of the match the defender wins if they can save half the vaults, attackers win if they can shut down over half of them. Or something like that.

Really like the idea for the cryo-crypts! Maybe there could be additional rules for the objective themselves. The attacker has to activate each objective for one full round. Once activated, have D3 "thawing" nobles walk out of their crypts, and then attack the nearest model. So if the attacking side is clever with their positioning and what order to activate each objective, they can cause havoc with the defender team as more "obstacles" get thrown in their way and attack them. The defending team is halted by the very frozen populace they were tasked to protect in the first place!

Read "Xenos" when you get the chance, Hushrong. The game was okay, but the book does a better job of describing the scene of half-frozen nobles screaming and clawing at Eisenhorn in their shocked state IMO.

I look forward to seeing people's painted terrain - I started a thread for that here:  http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/350264-painted-kill-team-terrain/

So, I've bought the mechanicus and munitorum boxes, on the thinking that I like the terrain, I will use them in 40K, and they are pretty good deal - they are roughly 3 sets of terrain for the price of 2.

One set that I haven't gotten is the most recent - the "deathworld" terrain (not sure of its proper name) - as I'm not that fond of it aesthetically.  I could get my arm twisted into getting it, though - is it about the same amount of terrain per price as the other sets?

Archived