Welcome to the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the unique units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Repulsor

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a Repulsor?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples?
  • Will you be using any of them to transport Primaris Infantry or Mk X Gravis units? If so, which ones? Any combos?
  • What weapon choice(s) are you using with this unit? Does it synergise with its cargo or any other units in your force?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems?

Over to you

I rather like the repulsor, it has a pretty nice amount of firepower and the fly keyword. It's very expensive though.

I've typically ran two when I've ran them at all, as that helps with target saturation.

A librarian to give it the invulnerable save can be very very handy.

It's only issue is the 3+ save and cost, I don't think they have a place in a list that isn't focused on primaris as half their role is as a transport.

Agreed. You need some other big target to help draw fire. I've used mine to help protect Hellblasters and get them into position. In Primaris only armies, you want to go all Las to help with anti-tank. There are enough other guns to take care of chaff. They can really put the hurt on things with all of their guns. 

While I haven’t yet played with the repulsor, I shall shortly be an expert(!), as I am taking a 1750 list with 3 if them to tournament in a couple of weeks.

If this thread is still active then I’ll definitely share what I learn! I’ll certainly add some thoughts in my blog either way.

Qjestion: In a mixed new marine/true (old) marine army, do people think instead of taking two repullsors, running a LR of any variant and a repullsor in tandem for target saturation would be viable? I don't know what I'd use as a payload in either case, as ideally you'd want combat units in both, but characters in one transport could buff units in the other, just don't know what units are best? Just spit balling ideas mind you.

Qjestion: In a mixed new marine/true (old) marine army, do people think instead of taking two repullsors, running a LR of any variant and a repullsor in tandem for target saturation would be viable? I don't know what I'd use as a payload in either case, as ideally you'd want combat units in both, but characters in one transport could buff units in the other, just don't know what units are best? Just spit balling ideas mind you.

I've not ever used a repulsor, but if I saw a LR of any variant and a repulsor across the board I'd take out the repulsor every time. I think the only way that I'd go for the LR is if there was some serious stuff in it. But that's a whole other eggs in one basket situation.

I've not ever used a repulsor, but if I saw a LR of any variant and a repulsor across the board I'd take out the repulsor every time. I think the only way that I'd go for the LR is if there was some serious stuff in it. But that's a whole other eggs in one basket situation.

Interesting, care to explain why?

The land raider is tougher and has more dangerous weapons at full range. It typically transports far more dangerous cargo too.

If it has dangerous stuff in it it wants to get close and that means you can disable it way easier than a Repulsor simply by charging and surrounding it with something.

Also the Sv2+ make it twice as durable against AP-3 wounds do while the Landraider may do a little bit more damage also takes way longer to get rid of it.

Edited by sfPanzer

Panzer summed up my thoughts pretty well, thank you sir. There are so many factors to consider to just take those two units in a vacuum; my target priority was based off my play style and list building (BA). I play more infantry based so a regular LR is not too scary, LRC is scarier but it can be shut down easily when it's in threat range. I've never even seen a LRR in person, so there's that. Cargo can change the story, but again, vacuums and stuff.

Edit: A repulsor has the volume of fire that I can't shut down outside of destroying it. I definitely would advocate dual repulsors, that's the combination of heavy SM tanks I would least like to see across the table.

Edited by Slothysaur

One thing repulsor does very well is to take out huge amounts of low toughness models of the table. Full dakka you get 40+ attacks that’s huge and can mop up large units of infantry. It’s pretty easy to have HQ to follow in. I’d personally take a dakka repulsor over Baal predators or LRC for anti infantry tanks.

The second thing the repulsor does well is to block models off. They can fall back and shoot, are pretty large too and T8. Sometimes it can be used as a backup screen effectively. Also fly mean you can magically move over building making maneuvers much easier.

The third thing it does well is dying to lascannons and knights. There is a limit to what T8 can do for you.

Edited by Brother Crimson

I have faced dual repulsors flanking gulliman a few times. High firepower and its -2 to incoming chargers can make it a handful for us especially if your anti tank is melee based. The other trick to this tank is it flys! So huge when it comes to using terrain. For its point value its defence is lacking. We can bubble em up with jump pack characters and blast our foe into next week! Nimble firepower is always good! Just be careful you dont start thinking like a space elf and hiding your tank atop lofty buildings just because the rules say its ok

• 3 months later...

The points drop has definitely got me thinking about investing in one. It is definitely vulnerable to the kind of anti-tank firepower the Knight meta has ushered in though. On the other hand, Orks seem to be bringing a resurgence of the horde meta and the Repulsor is strong here. T8 means it is twice as hard for S4 attacks to wound as T7 tanks and FLY means its firepower cannot be shut down by charging in a tarpit unit.

I would be tempted to load one with a unit of Hellblasters for protection against shooting in case I don't get T1. Disembark the Hellblasters into firing position T1 and then use the Repulsor as a gunboat from then on. A cheap squad of 3 Flamestorm Aggressors are also worth considering as this will prevent anyone not in power armour from wanting to get close to the thing.

I think I would run the dakka build but there is a good case for adding TLLCs after their price drop in CA. You definitely need to build your army around these things though. They need to be run with other tough targets like LRs and Storm Ravens to ensure some of them survive to hit the enemy.

While I haven’t yet played with the repulsor, I shall shortly be an expert(!), as I am taking a 1750 list with 3 if them to tournament in a couple of weeks.

If this thread is still active then I’ll definitely share what I learn! I’ll certainly add some thoughts in my blog either way.

Looks like you had some success with them, based on your reports in your blog thread. I imagine that force will be even more dangerous now with the point drops. 

Yeah, lascannons and las-talons on all three.  Between the other guns on the repulsors, 3 heavy bolters on the sicaran venator and dakka guns on the dreadnoughts plus the intercessor bolt rifles you have more then enough anti-infantry already.  You need the anti-tank more.

This list is very similar to what neonmole came up with (thanks for the inspiration btw).  I heartily endorse it.  I will give more thoughts when I have more time.  I'm in a hurry atm.

Edited by Emissary

The thing is that the Repulsor already is a jack of all trades even if you go full lascannons thanks to the huge amount of secondary and tertiary weapon systems Cawl tacked on it. If you don't go full lascannons you just push it further into an anti-infantry role which it already does decently anyway but. So there really isn't any question for me whether I want to go with lascannons or not I just take it because Primaris lack anti-tank but more importantly because Repulsors already possess enough anti-infantry capabilities anyway.