Adeptus Titanicus Tactica - Warlord

Captain Idaho

I really skipped over it with initial listbuilding because it's so much cheaper than the other guns.  I figured that meant it was not meant to be effective but saving points for something else may be effective in its own way.  

Is the plasma really the best all around?

Plasma is the best for whittling down structure with number of shots. Volcano is best for immediately scoring crits but it has fewer shots to strip away structure points.

I don’t know about Quake, except it’s cheap and has a nifty effect slowing down knights, etc

the benefits of plasma are

1 high nomber of shots for aiming and stripping

2 S10 with negligible risk

3 can be fired in close quarters

4 cheap

main drawback is range, we play in a small table so that's less of a problem however at bigger distances...

I’m considering a double plasma and Gatling blaster warlord. As a mid/short range bruiser it will annihilate almost anything that stands in its way. Enemy warlords will of hopefully had their shields weakened by the time this thing gets within range and it’s not too plasma intensive. It’s still cheaper than double volcano cannons.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at the new bits and it seems that the warlord titan power claw has the backhand vulcan mega bolter. Are there rules for that? If so, it seems to me that this opens the possibility of a melee warlord being viable. Combine that with the vulcans on the carapace and a nice close punch ranged weapon on the other arm (melta cannon?) and you have a titan that wants to run up the middle and attempt to wreck face. Of course, there is the chance it gets surrounded because of this, but that is what warhounds or knight banners are for.

Thoughts?

Are there rules for that?

Not so far, and it's apparently deliberate from what I remember from a designer AMA. Shoulder weapons, CC weapon, main weapon AND another warhound weapon were apparently too much and imbalanced, as well as problematic with space considerations on the command terminal.

This being said, it's very easy to house rule.

I hate to Mathammer so I'm not happy to bring this up in discussion, but...

I'm thinking the Laser Blasters are better than Turbo Laser destructors, particularly on a Carapace of a Warlord. 3/6 shots even at -1 is better than 2/4 shots, I believe.

Am I right on this? I fear I am looking at my rudimentary maths skills.

Both look good though for fluff I wanted Turbo Laser destructors but the model is for Laser Blasters... what is a Princeps to do?

I hate to Mathammer so I'm not happy to bring this up in discussion, but...

I'm thinking the Laser Blasters are better than Turbo Laser destructors, particularly on a Carapace of a Warlord. 3/6 shots even at -1 is better than 2/4 shots, I believe.

Am I right on this? I fear I am looking at my rudimentary maths skills.

Both look good though for fluff I wanted Turbo Laser destructors but the model is for Laser Blasters... what is a Princeps to do?

Well, the shots are almost identical. 

Laser Blaser have cost / dice ratio (50/8) 8.3 while Turbo lasers have the ratio 35/4 = 8.7 so on Turbo lasers you indeed pay extra for your shots.  The only slight difference is that your first (and maybe second) salvo will be at -1 to hit with Laser Blasters thanks to that -1 to hit.  That being said, your warlord should likely be doing things to attract attention - and thus get titans approaching him.  In which case this is less of a disadvantage.  So I would think that you are indeed correct - as long as we are not discussing a long range shoot-off. 

As for the model, I would think that the last warlord (with gatling and quake cannon), if we get it, will have turbo laser destructors on it. 

Thanks for that. Since I want Plasma Annihilators it might not be totally out of the realms of logic to use Laser Blasters as I'm getting in close anyway.

The main problem is; being carapace weapons, when firing at smaller targets you can't target them within your scale distance.

So that leaves quite a small window to avoid the -1 to hit at close range, unless of course you're firing at another Warlord.

Laser Blasters seem ideal on Reavers who can happily get close than the distance of their scale to all bar Warhounds and enjoy the benefits of no modifier to hit.

Archived