7th New Haven Mechanized - Combined Arms Brigade

The Titanz0r

Sounds like those rods might be too large in diameter to look good enough for rivets.

Fiddly? FIDDLY??

„Rivets“ are to „fiddly“ what „water“ is to „wet“.

Applying rivets is modeling-Zen.

Either it relaxes you... or you throw the bloody thing out of the window, run down outside and trample the broken parts to dust

@The Titanz0r: Nice army you got there, especially like the vehicles you have.

I have one question though: I noticed your chimera with Tamiya's turret and I was wondering, how do 1/35 scale vehicles from Tamiya compare to chimeras/russes in terms of scale?
I was thinking of making use of some of their models for conversions of custom transports/armoured vehicles/tanks but I was thinking of using the 1/48 scale range but looking at that turret I have doubts about whether or not that would be adequate.

@The Titanz0r: Nice army you got there, especially like the vehicles you have.

I have one question though: I noticed your chimera with Tamiya's turret and I was wondering, how do 1/35 scale vehicles from Tamiya compare to chimeras/russes in terms of scale?

I was thinking of making use of some of their models for conversions of custom transports/armoured vehicles/tanks but I was thinking of using the 1/48 scale range but looking at that turret I have doubts about whether or not that would be adequate.

Non-GW kits don't really scale properly with GW kits. It's because none of the stuff from GeeDubs is properly scaled to itself in the first place. The proportions are very wonky. 1/35 scale kind of works for certain things, while 1/48 is way too small. You'll find some stuff looks alright while others don't. I've seen plenty of conversions using regular kits, though, that look pretty good. You just have find what works. My issue was cost, as there's no way to just get turrets or bitz from regular model kits, and I wasn't going to be spending 30+ dollars for each turret on my Chimeras.

Thanks for the answer.

I know proportions are different from GW to other vehicles, I was mostly worried about actual size (obviously dwarf tanks don't look that nice), so the idea would be vehicles the same size or larger than GW ones, even if the scaling of the weapons and such is different (which will certainly be).

Yeah buying entire kits just for turrets is tough :D specially for the wallet.

• 2 weeks later...

Small update, showing the progress on the Hellhound the troops have dubbed 'Cinnamon Girl.' Happy with how this is coming along. Unsure if I should keep the metal bitz colored as is, or add more shades to darken it up. All that's left, otherwise, is to get the final layer on the bone, polish up some details, and then add weathering.

NH CinGirl

NH CinGirl Side

And, because I hate myself, I've decided to convert some more pieces with the tweaking and updating of my list. I'm onto what I'm calling my Mk. 3 List, where I'm finally including a psyker. I've made a test model using the Orlock gang box to make what I'm going to call 'El Brujo.'

El Brujo

I tried to model some psyker energy emanating from his hand, but lightning and energy is somewhat difficult to actually model with wire and spare bitz.

• 3 months later...

After getting totally sidetracked by falling into a cosplay project, I was staring at my gray army the other night with lament. I finally got started on the insanity that I've been dreading since I started this army.

My four armored fist squads, mounting up.

Basing Stick

And now they're ready to meet the brushes.

Too Much To Do

I've long had some annoyance with spray primers, what with never getting 100% coverage. I always get little nooks and crannies, or part of the underside not coated.

Basing misses

Does anybody have any real advice to get 100% coverage, or is it just another tedious aspect of the hobby one learns to accept and deal with?

Even spraying from different angles won't get every nook and cranny so there will always be the odd bit that escapes. It's not an issue in most cases as the primer is there to help the paint adhere to the model, so if you can paint it then it's fine. Otherwise you can touch the primer up with a pot based one :)

I try and spray from more of a distance and build up a nice coating across a few runs (I'm sure Duncan would approve! :P ), and will return to change the model angle (often laying them down to get underneath) to try and cover as much as I can. You don't want the coat too thick as it can obscure detail and be more vulnerable to damage, so I'd rather miss a few bits than cover too much.

Warriorfish pretty much has it covered <_< :sweat:

Even with my airbrush I can occasionally miss a recess and that's with focusing on a single model with a lot of control over the primer

Generally it's in areas which shouldn't impact you too much

Good luck :tu: