Primaris: starting to assemble the miniatures

BolterZorro

As a beginner in primaris line, and in the game, I'd like some advice to build the miniatures the best way possible with what I have.

I have several boxes that can help customisation I think. That is where your expertise can help me.

Starter set + know no fear + tooth and claw

The last one gives me the sprues for customisation be cause full sprues for intercessors and wolves sprues.

Here my questions:

- the sergents : they just have an empty arm in SC/know no fear : what arm/weapon (sword?) is the best all around customisation for them?

- same question for lieutnants and captain

- can the full sprue of intercessor be usefull to add something to the intercessors in the SC/KnF boxes?

- the tooth and claw hero (got 3). Is he a captain , lieutnant or what? Can I customise him with better equipment? (and which one)?  Is this interesting to use his equipments on other heros (the ones above of SC/KnF for example)

- last: the TaC boxes have a Redemptor : is it that bad? I like the mini (so at least I keep one). Is it interestion to have 2? or 3?

-Sergeants are best with a power sword or a chain sword, and their bolt rifle of choice. You can go without upgrades if you really want to save points. You can find power sword in upgrade packs or you can get a Veteran Sgt with one by buying the 30th anniversary Sgt. The Sgts have 3 attacks so the cc weapon is worth it, imo. I'm a fan of the regular Bolt Rifles in squads of Intercessors.

-Captain is best with either power sword and stalker bolt rifle, or if you can get hold of the model: Power Fist and Plasma Pistol. The Gravis Captain isn't bad at all, but his wargear is fixed - at least for the time being. Lieutenants are best with power sword and pistol, imo.

-The full Intercessor kit is good if you want to get Auxiliary grenade launchers otherwise isn't really required. There are extra bits of bling and poses and such.

-The Tooth and Claw model is a unique space wolf Lieutenant.

-The Redemptor is ok. A bit too pricey but should be getting a boost in Chapter Approved in the next few months - I wouldn't invest in more until then.

I'm a big of the Repulsor tank, however.

-The Redemptor is ok. A bit too pricey but should be getting a boost in Chapter Approved in the next few months - I wouldn't invest in more until then.

thx Ishagu

I have 2 redemptors (on sprue) should I sell one?

I have 1 repulsor also: how to mount it? full daka? is magnetizing it worth?

I'd keep them at least until we've seen what Chapter Approved brings. I love the kits and own two fully painted ones myself.

I equipped both of my Repulsors with: Las Talon, Twin Las Cannon, Ironhail heavy stubber, Onslaught Gatling Cannon. The rest of the guns are dakka focused. I've never looked back. Really fun to play with these vehicles because they fly over terrain.

Here's one of mine:

40784066_2257915840903640_76556629317653

what chapter are you playing as?

codex marine and dark angel intercessor sergeants currently only have the option of a power sword, not a chainsword (though hopefully that'll change).

If you're playing blood angels, space wolves or deathwatch, you can use either chainsword or power sword on intercessor sergeants, a few of the various upgrade sprues give you access to chainswords or powerswords, you can also chop hands off and use ones from existing marine kits, the hands are a tiny bit smaller but not noticeably so.

lieutenants dont have much in the way of customisation, power sword or master crafted stalker or auto bolt rifle.
captains have a master crafted stalker or auto bolt rifle and can take a power sword, alternatively they can replace all those with a plasma pistol and power fist.

gravis captain has set wargear.

as Ishagu says, the intercessor kit will give you a few options for heads and stuff, but otherwise is only really useful for the grenade launchers.

Tooth and claw guy is a space wolf lieutenant with unique gear, he's better equipped than any other primaris lieutenant can be, but is unique to wolves.

Redemptors are not good. Which sucks as they look pretty awesome.

I'm assuming the Captains are the Captain in Gravis armor, since he comes in the boxes. There is no customization for him. His only options are what he comes with. 

I would definitely decide on what chapter you want to play as before doing too much customization. Then get that codex and see what option you have. 

For the Repulsor, I would go with Las-talon and twin lascannon. Primaris armies need the heavy firepower. 

thx Ishagu

I have 2 redemptors (on sprue) should I sell one?

I have 1 repulsor also: how to mount it? full daka? is magnetizing it worth?

Don't sell what you like.

If you like Redemptors, keep them. It's not like you will play the same list every game and you might sometimes want to play with two Redemptors. Going full primaris isn't particularly competetive currently anyway so you shouldn't worry too much about that.

If you can magnetize the Repulsor then definitely do that! At least for the main weapons!

The Repulsor definitely is worth magnetizing.

Once Primaris get another viable anti-tank option you might want to go with the Twin Heavy bolter and the Heavy onslaught gatling cannon instead of the Twin lascannon and the Las-talon.

Redemptor actually has lots of dakka for killing infantry and a close combat weapon that ca destroy tanks and monsters. The problem is lack of range and movement penalties to Ballistic Skill.

Contemptor can be equipped for Anti Tank if you run the relic variant from the Forgeworld rules.

The Repulsor has anti tank firepower and enough shots to deal with infantry on top.

Yeah the Redemptor is mostly anti-infantry with both main weapons. Plasma CAN do double duty as anti-tank but it's not the most optimal target choice and you'd be much better off with another Repulsor instead in that case.

Same thing I tell everyone: build what you like. If you build what is statistically "the best" then that's going to be very unfortunate when they nerf it into the ground in the next edition. If you build according to rule of cool then the model will still look cool regardless of rules.

Here is what I'd like to play:

- hitting force: 1 repulsor and probably 5+3 agressors+ 1 captain gravis armor

- fast versatile force: 2 or 3 armiger -2 of which are helverins (I have 2 helve+3 warglaive actually)

- troops : intercessors and giving the remaining points more agressors or hellblasters (from the starter boxes)

What equipment, which CODEX and which stratagem do you advice?

PS: this is what I'd like to do: maybe there are bad choice, so tell me, maybe they can't be all inclusive, so what to keep what to leave etc... I'm a noob.

I will also recommend power swords for your intercessor sgts.  3 str 4 attacks with the added -3 ap from a power sword is worth 4 pts in my opinion. Plus, rule of cool, baby.

I'm going to counter what everyone else has been telling you about the RedDread.  I love him.  He's the centerpiece of most of my lists, but I play at 1000 pts usually.  He also rarely dies (Raven Guard, so -1 chapter tactic), and I tend to use him as a makeshift "captain", spamming Wisdom of the Ancients to give everyone around him a reroll 1's ability.  That helps to offset the movement penalty. I also often buff him with might of heroes from my Libby.  Anyway, I've had a lot of success with him, and I like the model a lot, but I don't play competitively.

what do you think about this starter list? (my first full army test)

SM (Codex Adeptus Astartes: Space Marines) : 1997 points
QG
Primaris Captain (103pts)
1 Primaris Captain
1 Fusil Bolter Automatique de Maître 1 Gantelet Énergétique

[*]Primaris Librarian (101pts)
1 Primaris Librarian
1 Épée de Force

[*]Primaris Lieutenant (74pts)
1 Primaris Lieutenant
1 Fusil Bolter Automatique de Maître

Troupe
Intercessor Squad (99pts)
4 Intercessor
4 Fusil Bolter Automatique

[*]1 Intercessor Sergeant
1 Épée Énergétique 1 Fusil Bolter Automatique

[*]Intercessor Squad (90pts)
4 Intercessor
1 Intercessor Sergeant

4 Intercessor
1 Intercessor Sergeant

4 Intercessor
1 Intercessor Sergeant

Elite
Agressor Squad (185pts)
4 Agressor
4 Gantelets Boltstorm Automatique 4 Lance-Grenades Fragstorm

[*]1 Agressor Sergeant
1 Gantelets Boltstorm Automatique 1 Lance-Grenades Fragstorm

[*]Primaris Ancient (69pts)
1 Primaris Ancient

[*]Agressor Squad (185pts)
4 Agressor
4 Gantelets Boltstorm Automatique 4 Lance-Grenades Fragstorm

[*]1 Agressor Sergeant
1 Gantelets Boltstorm Automatique 1 Lance-Grenades Fragstorm

[*]Redemptor Dreadnought (234pts)
1 Redemptor Dreadnought
1 Bolter Storm 1 Canon Gatling Onslaught Lourd 1 Lance-Flammes Lourd 1 Lance-Grenades Fragstorm 1 Lance-Grenades Fragstorm 1 Macro-Incinérateur à Plasma

[*]Contemptor Dreadnought (192pts)
1 Contemptor Dreadnought
1 Arme de Mêlée de Dreadnought 1 Canon d'Assaut Kheres 1 Combi-Bolter 1 Multifuseur

Soutien
Hellblaster Squad (165pts)
4 Hellblaster
4 Incinérateur à Plasma

[*]1 Hellblaster Sergeant
1 Incinérateur à Plasma

Transport Assigné
Repulsor (320pts)
1 Repulsor
1 Bolter Storm 1 Bolter Storm 1 Canon Gatling Onslaught Lourd 1 Canon Laser Jumelé 1 Lance-Grenades Krakstorm 1 Lance-Grenades Krakstorm 1 Mitrailleuse Ironhail 1 Mitrailleuse Ironhail Icarus

BBCode Généré par Army Creator

anyone have some advice about this list?

Hard to parse a list in general, and even worse when it's in french.

So, looks like you have:

1 Pr. Capt.

1 Pr. LIbby (Force Sword)

1 Pr. Lt (Bolt Rifle)

5 Intercessors (power sword)

5 Intercessors

5 Intercessors

5 Intercessors

5 Aggressors with Autoboltstorm Gauntlets and Frag Launchers

5 Aggressors with Autoboltstorm Gauntlets and Frag Launchers

1 Pr. Ancient

1 Redemptor Dread (Macro Plasma, 2x Fragstorm, 1 Heavy Flamer, 1 Onslaught Gatling Cannon, 1 Storm bolter)

1 Contemptor Dread (Kheres Assault, 1 Combi Bolter and 1 Multimelta)

5 Hellblasters (Plasma Incinerator)

1 Repulsor Tank

I think that's what you have. If so, it's fine for a funsies list but will not do well competitively.  Some things to think about:

-not much speed. Consider dropping 1 unit of 5 intercessors and possibly a unit of aggressors and pick up some inceptors.

-what chapter do you intend to play as? This will have a big impact on the models you get, how you arm them, etc.

-who is your warlord, and what warlord trait do you intend to have?

-what relics do you intend to use?

-what stratagems do you intend to make the most use out of?

I'd drop one squad of Intercessors and the Librarian for another squad of Hellblasters.

What chapter is it?

Also, as far as I'm aware if the primaris captain has a fist he needs to take the plasma pistol.

Maybe I did an error in the list construction: the captain is in the gravis armor and he's the one in the starter set (no plasma I think).

I'm not completly sure about the calculation.

By the way, I know that this is a slow build. If I had transportation, it'd be another story :wink:

this is my very first list, built around what  I have. In fact, I have several other squads of intercessors (6 with grenade launchers or spe weapons), inceptors (2), agressors (3x3 more) and another redemptor.

ATM, I have no clue what is the ideal chapter for this. Nore stratagems. But If you had some insight , it'd be a good starting point to play with and try something. There are so many things to know/read/test that I don't even know where to start from.

thx in advance.

Raven Guard would be a solid chapter for the list you have right now. 

But honestly, I would just look into different chapters and learn as much as you can and then pick one you really want. Or if you make your own chapter, you can decided who they are descended from and what tactics you'd like to use for them, and choose based on that. Pick something that you really like. And chapters like Space Wolves, Blood Angels, and Dark Angels all have unique units that you may like as well. You could also use what you have as a solid start to a Deathwatch army. 

If you really want to get started painting, I would recommend coming up with your own color scheme so you can just change what Chapter it represents as you go along. That way you're not committed to any 1 chapter.

If you *do* want to devote your paint scheme to one of the known chapters, I'd do it based on what you LIKE, not on what necessarily is "powerful" (as others have said, nothing in the Space Marine codex is really cheesy...they basically just can't do it.)

Archived