Which primarch homeworld is the most fascinating to you...

b1soul

Despite being a SW fan Fenris wouldn't have been in my list until the revelations in inferno. After that it's my top one: who created it? Was it the Emperor? Was it a 20,000 year ploy like the mechanicum? Who was if not him? Why? The Krakens are also confirmed in 40k to have Tyranid gene code and these were there 20,000 years plus before the first wave arrived.

So many cool questions.

Other than that:

- Inwit: would like to know more about the empire

- Medusa: is it a tomb world? Reminds me of mass effect finding predecessor tech in ruins

Medusa being a tomb world is too neat to me. There are plenty of those, and the notion of it being full of Dark Age tech which was used to tear its civilisation down is more singular. At least, the point it's at is quite singular, with some of that tech still intact while the inhabitants have devolved into true techno-barbarism.

If GW ever get in the market for "what if" stories, I'd love to see one where Primarchs were swapped worlds:

• Leman Russ the Techno-Barbarian King of Medusa
  • Angron the Noble Knight of Caliban
  • Konrad Kurze, statesman of the 500 worlds
  • Vulkan the unkillable Gladiator
  • Roubute the son of the Beasts of Barbarus
Although it's sadly no longer active, I'd suggest checking out the Corax Coup and the "What If: Nature VS Nurture?" Thread that inspired it, it basically started off as discussion on how the Primarchs and their Legions would have changed if they'd swapped which worlds they landed on, it resulted in some really cool creations such as...

Rouboute Barabus, Primarch of the Sons of Barabus Legion: An oppressive, authoritarian Guilliman who usurped his necromancer father, he built a huge industrialised army and conquered Barbarus, all in the name of efficiency. Later joins the traitors and willingly joins Nurgle after realising everything he's built will inevitably crumble, but not before accidentally starting the Lecticio Divinitas as an experiment to further strengthen his control over his subjects despite being viciously atheistic himself.

Jonson the Palatine, Primarch of the First Legion: A ruthless, politically-ambitious Lion who landed on Chogoris, was briefly adopted by the tribesmen of the steppes before being given as tribute to the Palatine of the Empire. Jonson is raised there and rises to power before relentlessly conquering and forcibly "civilising" the entire planet. Refuses to change his legion's name upon reunification, their reputation as the First Legion being title enough.

Konrad Dominus, Primarch of the Executioners Legion: A Konrad raised among the human scavenger clans of Baal, Konrad becomes a fierce proponent and defender of the Law after his clan is slaughtered by mutants while he is away. Haunted by visions of tragedy all his life, he desperately seek to prevent their passing, unaware that dark forces are working to ensure he fails. Carries a :cusshueg Bardiche (look it up).

Dorn the Haunted, Primarch of the Blackened Fists Legion: A Rogal Dorn who had the misfortune of landing upon benighted Nostromo, in his youth he tried to convince it's denizens to change their wicked ways, for his efforts he was enslaved and tortured, beaten, burnt, cut, starved and tormented until at last he broke. When the Imperium found Nostromo, her cities had been reduced to silent necropolises, dark streets choked with piles of broken, twisted bodies. Only one thing still lived on Nostromo, a lone pale figure, clad in tattered rags, huddled beneath a broken statue of an angel, quietly weeping into hands stained forever black with sin...

-----

I hope these brief sample descriptions tickled your interest, if so and you want to know more here are the links where you can read more:

Corax Coup Main Thread: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/282390-alternate-heresy-community-project/

"What If?" Nature VS Nurture Discussion Thread that spawned the Corax Coup: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/280098-nature-vs-nurture-the-what-if-edition/?fromsearch=1

Inwit because I'd love more backstory on Dorn.

Agreed, I've always wanted to learn more about Inwit, it seems strange we know so little about the homeworld of one of the most prominent Primarchs, especially given Dorn isn't exactly known for keeping secrets, unlike some of his brothers...

• 3 months later...
Nostramo is so fascinating to me. Caliban was scary due to the Chaos taint mutating animals into Beasts of Chaos. Chemos was rough due to the weather. Olympia was pretty normal compared to most. Chogorus wasn't too bad. Fenris was an awful wintry world. Baal Secundus was a nuclear wasteland but the people were pretty solid. Medusa was rough due to it's climate. Nuceria was a slum, but nothing that hasn't existed on Earth before minus the technology. Macragge was a great place to live. Barbarus was a chemical wasteland. Prospero was great. Cthonia had vicious gang warfare, but so does every hive world. Colchis was not too bad. Kiavahr was rough, but no different than any real oppressive state. No, Nostramo was different. It was Hell and not because of the fact it was always night time. The people there were degenerate at best and absolute monsters at worst. Nostramo was a hellscape born entirely of Mankind's own nastiness. It doesn't need Baal's mutants, Medusa's Necrons, Xenos Necromancers of Barbarus, overexaggerated climates, or Beasts of Chaos because the human society there is vile and anarchic enough. I think it is interesting how in many ways Nostramo is worse than many of these worlds to live in but it has a better climate and the greatest threat to the human population on the planet is itself.

Despite being a SW fan Fenris wouldn't have been in my list until the revelations in inferno. After that it's my top one: who created it? Was it the Emperor? Was it a 20,000 year ploy like the mechanicum? Who was if not him? Why? The Krakens are also confirmed in 40k to have Tyranid gene code and these were there 20,000 years plus before the first wave arrived.

So many cool questions.

Other than that:

- Inwit: would like to know more about the empire

- Medusa: is it a tomb world? Reminds me of mass effect finding predecessor tech in ruins

You said it for me why I believe Fenris is the most fascinating.

Other than that for me, it'll be Baal Secundus, which has quite a fascinating albeit familiar "Dune" or "Fremen" culture or feel, only instead of Sandworms, there are multiple radiated monsters and death traps, even "water" that "DRINKS YOU".

At least before the Indomitus Crusade. I understand they turned Baal Secundus into a garden world. Or is it Baal Prime? I forgot. Many times I forget that the Blood Angels have 3 primary planets, Baal Prime, Baal Secundus and one more I forgot, it's the one which Kabandha supposedly helped wipe out the Tyranids.

Chtonia, mostly because it would be interesting seeing how their gang wars happened, if its any close to Necromunda, and how a Primarch would deal with living and fighting in those conflicts.

Also we don't really know that much about it.

Ran

The Perturabo novel made me quite interested in Olympia, but at the same time was fleshed out well enough to also satisfy that curiosity. Brutally mountainous Hellenic fortress-cities with relic lightning weapons, and pseudo davinci/dieselpunk tech occasionally pillaged by Dark Eldar? Awesome stuff. 

Chemos I have a fair amount of interest in the "how" of Fulgrim's transition of a dying, barren world to a bastion of civilization and sophistication. That's not a thing you can just announce "hey guys, we're going to stop slowly killing ourselves in our crumbling industrial leftovers trying to pry more blood from the stone of our world, and instead we're going to build grand cities, develop the arts and celebrate what it means to be a human civilization!" and have it happen, and exactly how that would look in the end would be fascinating, and remains undeveloped. 

Inwit would be my third choice, simply because it is so undeveloped, yet represented the hub of a galactic power prior to the coming of the Imperium. 

Archived