Weapons that can disable Geller Fields?

Moonreaper666

That is a common tactic in 40k, it's just that ship-to-ship teleportation is quite close-range. In Battlefleet Gothic, to do teleport-strikes you had to be in base-to-base contact (and could well include teleporting ordnance across instead of just troops), as opposed to ranged weapons such as lances and macrocannon, which could blow you apart long before you get into teleportation range. Teleportation range appears to be roughly that of low orbit, or around 100/200km or so. Compare that to the range of a macrocannon, which appears to be hundreds of thousands of kilometres.

As opposed to why people don't teleport ordnance, it's just a case of, like above, why bother teleporting it when the effective range is incredibly short, as opposed to firing it from a cannon at them?

Actually i find this a way more interesting topic than i first thought. If this shield is a centralized system on a ship located in one monstrous big hall then its very likely that a penetrating hit of whatever weapon is attacking the ship can disable or reduce the efficiency of the generated field. Which might not even get noticed in the heat of a battle but some panicked excape warp jump might be fatal. If it is a distributed system all over the vessel, a hit (or ill maintainace, age of the machines…) might be causing a local fluctuation wich allow the the denizens of the warp to actally interact with the ship as often mentioned in side bar stories over the years. This seems rather common to me. So i guess all weapons that actally damage a space ship would have a chance to disable or weaken the ability of a ship to traves safely through the warp … but then other systems are critical too - life support, drive… so maybe loss of the warp shield might not be the wort that happens to a battered vesse. Its only more grim as the end of the crew isn't instant but rather creative and dark at the Hands of the visitors ;)

The orks didn’t so much as damage the field as incapacitate a dozen navigators in their ambush tactic.

This vessel was probably stationed where it was, on the most likely warp current to be bringing reinforcements, with a complement of irk psykers. Their powers boosted by direct contact with the warp, they were able to unleash a psychic attack intended to disable the Navigators of the approaching ships and force them back into the Materium where the ambushin force was waiting.

-Ciaphas Cain: Defender of the Imperium Omnibus, p.55

It certainly had the same effect, but the attack did not target the Geller fields or the generator specifically. Besides, that level of finesse is far beyond ork thinking. As far as I can tell they performed the metaphysical equivalent of giving the navigators a brutish blow to the head.

Elsewhere a third gen crew member mentioned that the last materium transition like that that she had been through had been when the navigator had died. Later it says the navigator wasn’t dead but had experienced severe psychic shock.

The ork vessel used as a delivery system I assume left its shields deliberately down, but I can’t find anything in the book to prove it.

TL;DR: Make and use, yes; deliberately targeted the imperial generators, no.

Thanks for the correction! I should have re-read the relevant page before posting.

To my way of thinking the ambush demonstrates a very high level of understanding of human warp travel processes and how to disrupt them. Just because it's a heavy blow to the head, doesn't mean it lacks subtlety!

It also demonstrates sophisticated strategic thinking and a high level of coordination, but of course the perennial underestimation of Ork intelligence is rather off topic for this thread.

Actually i find this a way more interesting topic than i first thought. If this shield is a centralized system on a ship located in one monstrous big hall then its very likely that a penetrating hit of whatever weapon is attacking the ship can disable or reduce the efficiency of the generated field. Which might not even get noticed in the heat of a battle but some panicked excape warp jump might be fatal. If it is a distributed system all over the vessel, a hit (or ill maintainace, age of the machines…) might be causing a local fluctuation wich allow the the denizens of the warp to actally interact with the ship as often mentioned in side bar stories over the years. This seems rather common to me. So i guess all weapons that actally damage a space ship would have a chance to disable or weaken the ability of a ship to traves safely through the warp … but then other systems are critical too - life support, drive… so maybe loss of the warp shield might not be the wort that happens to a battered vesse. Its only more grim as the end of the crew isn't instant but rather creative and dark at the Hands of the visitors ;)

Reminds me of Star Wars Empire at War

The side that can leave the battlefield has an advantage over the other guy

Archived