My gaming community is dying

Jarl Caldersson

I'm in an ackward spot because my friends who got me into the hobby weren't interested in 8th, and work days/have kids and all. And I don't know what exactly, but I find myself making excuses to not go out to either of the stores near me to play.

Heck I tend to do that if there is a family event planned too.

I think where my Mom smoked pot and drank as an escapist thing, mine is just dicking around in videogames. For as much as I play them I should be some kind of expert but I'm still pretty bad at them. Patrols in Destiny are what I play the most. Just mindlessly slogging away.

Its weird being 35 and still feeling socially ackward.

I guess I’m lucky that with my gaming group that we’re friends and we do other things together too outside of Warhammer. So it’s not like everyone is just trying to “win” in Warhammer.

But anyway - back to suggestions for the OP. If small games don’t work - what about organizing a tourney group to play against yet other different groups?

I guess I’m lucky that with my gaming group that we’re friends and we do other things together too outside of Warhammer. So it’s not like everyone is just trying to “win” in Warhammer.

But anyway - back to suggestions for the OP. If small games don’t work - what about organizing a tourney group to play against yet other different groups?

Hate talking about personal life, however it is because we are all foreigners in Korea that speak English. Korea itself doesn't have big 40k scene, however playing against Koreans is tiring trying to break the language barrier. So playing against another team would probable just frusterate people.

There is a other group that I play with once, however I havent seen any play since 8th started.

As for people unable to police themselves. I am not surprised some people are just highly aggressive, we knew one guy was just played to win however his armies weren't as powerful as they are now.

I think my choice is final, I didn't make any sudden choices and I've reached out to a few people for advice. 8th Ed has released some powerful armies, and armies are no longer confined to stricter guidances allowing people to take advantages in a way GW didn't expect. In some ways I like 8th, in others I feel it was a step back. Either way it requires people to police themselves and some people are unable to, and do I want to play with them to begin with?

Edit: sorry about all the writing mistakes I wrote it at 0200 after waking up to a crash outside.

I'm with ya, my group is into the competitive scene but playing super cut throat ALL the time is super draining IMO. We're all at an age though where time is at a premium and I don't think i'd be able to convince them to do friendly games since if we can play its prep time.

CA is out soon, as is the big FAQ. Things will probably change.

I don't want to get my hopes up about grey knights and Tau crisis suits (either the weapons need buffs/changes to range and some damage values or jump shoot jump needs to come back if they are gonna keep the short gun ranges).

Was anyone straight up and honest with the Knight/Custodes players? Were they ever just told "Your lists are not fun to play agaisnt." ?

When people get frustrated and don't communicate well, how is anything supposed to be resolved?

I like it the most when you play with/against single armies with only their codex.

Once everyone starts dipping into allies and forgeworld you pretty much end up fighting the same army over and over again.

Also, if everyone has lots of Knights/LoWs, whoever gets a clean shot first has a huge advantage.

Was anyone straight up and honest with the Knight/Custodes players? Were they ever just told "Your lists are not fun to play agaisnt." ?

When people get frustrated and don't communicate well, how is anything supposed to be resolved?

It's has been vocalized by people. I will straight refuse to play a entire IK army with my DG army. Custodes I have less of a problem but mostly because DG are so darn resilient I don't have as hard of a time as SM or CSM armies. Honestly I feel SM/CSM are in a bad spot this edition and since that makes up the majority of armies thing that might just a little over powered seem to be massively over powered. Though that is my tiny observation and I am by no means a pro.

As for FW, I have mixed feeling about them. Looking at them some seem fair, others weak, but I always see the over powered ones in lists it seems. Even I am tempted by things like Necrosius the Undying (Nurgle Sorcerer with 3 powers+smite, a 4++, +1 W/A/L, and special weapons) which is only 10 pts more than a Plaguecaster (2powers+smite, no ++, no special weapons)

Your gaming community is basically made up of foreigners in Korea? Hmm that’s a tough one. For someone from the US, I had a hard time gaming in Korea too, easier time in Hong Kong, much easier time in South East Asia, and again harder time in Australia.

Your gaming community is basically made up of foreigners in Korea? Hmm that’s a tough one. For someone from the US, I had a hard time gaming in Korea too, easier time in Hong Kong, much easier time in South East Asia, and again harder time in Australia.

Yeah, the game store owner in Seoul speaks English luckily, however he understands how it's difficult especially since there is unique unofficial terms the developed such as we say MEQ they may says CSE (crisis suit equivalent) because there is a tone of Tau players from what I've seen.

Stop playing with the people with cheesy lists.

The point of the game is for both players to have fun. If you won't have fun versus their same old 4 knights list every week, then stop playing them, and they have to sit on the sidelines while everyone else has fun.

Either: They leave, and problem solved or they change their list, and problem solved. 

Or play kill team, or some other format that doesn't have knights. 

Archived