Whats the status of daemon armies?

Ulfast

So for a couple of years ago I used to play a daemon army, mostly Nurgle but later a mix of everything. I´m thinking to perhaps to pick up where I ended but I´m wondering right now what the status of daemon armies are? Before we ruled a  lot of tournament but now it seems pretty quite, why? And can we beat knights, primarchs and other heavy things? What should I take and what should I skip? Wow, that was several question I notice. Hope anyway that you can help me to understand 8:ed daemons

p.s I´m not intersted in allies from other codexes, I want to play a pure daemon army.

They're pretty decent, but mixed chaos will rule the tournament scene unless restricted.

May favourite picks in a rough order of favouritism would be along the lines of:

Daemon Princes

Nurglings

Pink Horrors

Other horrors

Bloodletters

Khorne DP with relic axe, belakor

Flamers

Skarbrand

The Masque, changling, heralds and skulltaker

Screamers, seekers, fiends and furies

You can also run a decent regenerative nurgle list with the tree, doomsday bell, variety heralds and banners. Epidemius remains interesting for nurgle only armies.

They're not as tournament popular because they've lost all the 2++ rerollable shenanigans. Pretty good anti infantry options from pink horrors and letters. Dealing with big stuff is trickier but some things do hit pretty hard. Hardest thing is getting there hence the popularity of daemon princes hiding behind hordes

If you want to go mono god, Nurlge is the way to go. The synergies are amazing and he is the strongest of the 4 at the moment.

Khorne has the very cool Bloodletter Bomb, but other than that I think he is realy lackluster.

I personally like Slaanesh, but had very little games with him this edition tbh. When you look around the internet you get the feeling he/she is the weakest of the 4.

With Tzeentch I have no experiene or whatsoever. Always wanted to start them (I love the Charriots and Screamers; so a small Outrider Detachment would work for me), but since GW keeps droping those amazing releases and my table is full of grey plastik I guess I have to wait a bit longer...

Gaming wise you will have a lot of fun with them, from a competative point of view I think they are somewhere in the midfield.

Nurgle's problem tournament wise is that they're a resilient army that doesn't do much damage, so even the players who win all their games don't place high in big tournaments because they only win by small margins.

Power gamers ignore daemons because they don't get free units anymore and outside of Tzeentch are an assault army in a shooting game. They aren't any more neglected than assault armies in general.

Obliterators synergise so well with the daemon book that the most shooty daemon army is always going to be mixed chaos.

I also play Mono Nurgle based on GUOs due to the fact that I love the models.

I think everything named here is true. While Nurgle forces tend to work well on 48 x 48 inches tables, they are too slow on larger tables.

The damage output is ok if you don't see lots of vehicles on the other side of the table. Downside: you can't deal with the high T, high wounds models out there.

Right now I'm building a Tzeentch Daemon Force too and at least they give you some shooting.

...Downside: you can't deal with the high T, high wounds models out there.

Well, In my oppinion the T is no problem at all since you have reroll to wound on nearly every weapon PLUS powers like Shriveling Pox or Virulent Blessing.

I think the biggest problem is good saves, since we have next to no rending attacks.

The Daemon Codex is really just designed as if it were 4 mini Codexes in one book unfortunately. Together they can pull something but if you go mono-god they all are lacking in one way or another. I guess that's the result of Daemons being designed as something to add to CSM in the first place and GW never going back to expand on them ever since they got their own Codex.

I miss the daemonic incursions of 7th but I have been enjoying my daemons in 8th

I dont mono god on principle and use everything but tzeentch really

Normally 2 or 3 battalions very troop heavy

My 1500 point 3 god list (khorne battalion,

Slanessh battlion, nurgle outrider) destroyed a guard army with 3 russes and a baneblade... it was looking really good till the baneblade exploded...

Archived