Uses for Sprue Frames

UniWolf

In the past I’ve cut them into roughly brick sized pieces and added them to bases.

With a good stone flock and some static grass the effect is quite nice.

More recently I’ve used them as internal frame work for magnatizing weapon options for larger kits (storm wolves, land raiders and predators).

I bin them. Does anyone know if they're are recyclable?

They are just polystyrene so I don't see why not. Many years ago, GW stored used to collect used sprues and send them back to Lenton to be reused. They don't seem to do this anymore so I guess it was not worth the effort.

I spoke to the manager at my local GW shop about 4 year ago about this as I had a lot of sprues lying around and he said GW had been thinking of doing a recycling option, but never heard anymore, figure if anyone could re-use it then they would.  Would be pretty cool if you could get points or something back for recycling - maybe 20 sprues gets you 5 minis. 

I'm based in the uk and I do put my sprues in the plastic recycling box, don't know for sure if they do end-up getting recycled though or just into landfill which would be a shame.

The shape of some of them means they can be turned into great street rubble like bent girders, fallen lampposts and smashed window frames.

I definitely try to do this (and have a reasonable supply) for those urban ruin bases - but there is only so much one can keep! Doing similar things with Forge World's resin blocks for tank traps and general rubble works effectively too, and makes the most of what would otherwise be a by-product and recycled.

That may only be in the UK. I've tried to return in the US and gotten noncommittal answers from the staff (though they didn't know themselves, it isn't like they were deliberately misleading me). I may try again later this week, but I'm not entirely sure I'll get the chance.

I'm surprised GW haven't announced degradable plastic yet. We must collectively be a horrible source of microplastics.

I wouldn't want my Blood Angels degrading in the future and then looking like they've fallen to the powers of Chaos!

Someday I hope to get a small plastic injection system and actually recycle them directly into new kits of my own. If I can actually pull it off, I'm tempted to see if there's a way to use only/mostly reclaimed styrene like this. If my sprew collection is any indicator, there's a ton of materials available out in the wild, practically just for the taking.

I saw someone build a pseudo MK IV dreadnought out of sprue on the B&C a loooooong time ago....can't remember who or if it was finished - sorry :(

What I recall seeing was pretty damn good though., he basically used it like plasticard rods, glued and filed into shape.

Very imaginative.

MR.

Archived