Ferrum Aeternum - A brief return - with Paint!

Ok, back on point. The last set of Flamestorm Gauntlets arrived with a few more bitz so I busily got to work on the last Ambot Aggressor.

gallery_115548_14900_16391.jpg

Here's the full unit. They look really chunky and hulking when all in a group. Perfect for a unit of siege bots i recon. I also have a comparison shot of all the unit types so far. There will be a Thallax robot that will fit nicely between the Terminator and the Aggressor soon enough too:

gallery_115548_14900_427825.jpg

As always, C&C very much appreciated.

Cheers,

PHM

• 1 month later...

G'day!

Another longs absence thanks to life and lack-of-mojo. Sadly there has ben very little hobby achieved in the last month but I recently recieved an order from Zinge with a bunch of their bendable decals and I thought I'd jump back on the Terminators and give them a bit of detailing. While I was at it I FINALY gto around to casting those Cruxes for their left shoulders. So those have gone on too. Here's how the unit looks now and a few close up shots of the extra detailing:

gallery_115548_14900_8432.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_28129.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_288847.jpg

You can see the decals have come up great on the legs of these guys and I've even used them around the neck-seal of one of them too. So happy with them now. The blankness of the armour after shaving off all the Custodes finery was a sticking point for me and while there's not a lot extra on them now I feel it really adds a lot to the models and the unit as a whole. The Crux on the left shoulders was also something I'd been wanting to finish off for AGES and now that they're on I really feel the unit is complete. With a little more GS patch-work (like always!) these guys will be paint-ready for when I finaly get my hands on some contrast paints.

As for the afore-mentioned Robo-Primaris, I've aquired a few Thallax bots now and have started some basic work on each of the 3 core units: Intercessor, Hellbaster and Reiver. Nothing to show for it yet but I'm hoping to have something cobbled together by end of the week for you all.

The hobby spark has returned and I hope to get a lot more guys to that crucial 100% Paint-Ready stage for when some funds come my way. More soon.

PHM

Those ambots are looking superb mate, how do they scale up to castellax?

Thanks Cadmus, and the rest of you too. I'm very happy with the Ambots and how they've turned out. And to think, I was ready to sell them off coz I just couldn't make them work as Centurions, heh.

I've got no idea how they scale to Castellax bots. I've never gotten any or even seen them in the flesh..er metal. From what I can tell they'll probably end up slightly shorter than the Castellax bots but a bit more brawny and hulking. I think if I'd have gone for Castellax robots for the Aggressors they'd have come out too big, even for truescale Primaris counts-as.

The updated Terminators look badass, I like it.

Also, PHM, do you have any 'normal' Marines? Just asking if you could post one with the Ambot-Aggressors, as I was thinking of getting a couple of those to make some Automata for my Praevian for 30k to pal around with. If those are 60mm bases they're on, then they could work really nicely as a Castellax counts-as.

Cheers Gederas,

Nah, I haven't got any mini-marines any more. Used to have what felt like millions of them but I sold up/gave away all my hobby stuff years ago and have had to start from scratch when I came back to the hobby with this army. Those bases on the Ambots are 50s. I think 60s could work too but considering the models come with 40s for Necro they might look a bit small on those. The 40s are too smallin my opinion and I recon the 50s are just right.

Cheers Gederas,

Nah, I haven't got any mini-marines any more. Used to have what felt like millions of them but I sold up/gave away all my hobby stuff years ago and have had to start from scratch when I came back to the hobby with this army. Those bases on the Ambots are 50s. I think 60s could work too but considering the models come with 40s for Necro they might look a bit small on those. The 40s are too smallin my opinion and I recon the 50s are just right.

Hmm.... Okay. I suppose I'll just need to find out myself sometime in the next few months then :laugh.:

The reason why I asked is because the Ambots you posted look like their feet are almost at the edge of their bases, which means they'd have roughly the same 'footprint' on a 60mm base as a Dreadnought does.

Edited by Gederas

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm.... Okay. I suppose I'll just need to find out myself sometime in the next few months then :laugh.:

The reason why I asked is because the Ambots you posted look like their feet are almost at the edge of their bases, which means they'd have roughly the same 'footprint' on a 60mm base as a Dreadnought does.

Gederas, the Ambots will be way too small for even the standard Casta Ferrum (Boxnought) Dreads. While probably close in width they'll be far too short and squat. You could try to space them out and get rid of the massive hunch but you'd be a braver man than I.

Well a week or so later than hoped but here is the first test model for my Thallaxii-cum-Primaris marines. He's an Intercessor, gonna be the Sarge. I hope I've managed to make the gun suitably different from the lightning guns and the model over-all a bit distinct from a standard Thallaxii:

gallery_115548_14900_663932.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_234098.jpg

And the obligatory group shot of all the unit types:

gallery_115548_14900_142589.jpg

(Left to right: Scout, Tactical Marine, Primaris Interessor, Terminator, Primaris Aggressor)

What do you think? I've got a Hellblaster and Reiver on the slab too to show off soon.

PHM

Edited by PowerHungryMonkey

• 3 weeks later...

A few weeks out and a few more robots done.

Just a second Intercesor bot and a little addition to the hand of the 'sarge.' I'll have to think of better names for all these robot units at some point.

gallery_115548_14900_770427.jpg

I'm starting to see how a unit of these will look and I like it. Still feel there needs to be a little more to move them away from being just a Thallax robot but the re-jigging of the lighting guns really helps change the look of them. Thinking I'll get to a 5-'man' unit and see how I go before commiting to a full 10.

Also have a rather underwhelming Hellblaster

gallery_115548_14900_837447.jpg

Sigh. Really couldn't get in to this guy. All I've done is add the plasma tanks to the side of the existing gun. Needs something else, a lot else really. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Anyway, that's the state of the robots at the moment. Any more will have to wait till I get another cohort of Thallaxii.

Cheers

PHM

man your iron hands are amazing, they really capture that big chunky brutal feel that i feel like space marines should have perfectly!

as for the helblaster-bot, i feel like it might actually look a little better without the canisters on the side, for making them more interesting however, how about a bunch of messy cabling from the gun connecting up to some beefed up power-source on the robot (i tihnk they have one on their back right? if not you could add one)

Edited by carnosaur93

Looking lovely, in my opinion – keep up the good work :)

*SNIP*Sigh. Really couldn't get in to this guy. All I've done is add the plasma tanks to the side of the existing gun. Needs something else, a lot else really. Suggestions would be appreciated.

I'd perhaps modify the helm to have some form of protective layer – a bit like the 'welding masks' on the new flying Marines (Inceptors?) 

The focal point's the head, so any changes here are always effective at communicating a different role/function.

man your iron hands are amazing, they really capture that big chunky brutal feel that i feel like space marines should have perfectly!

as for the helblaster-bot, i feel like it might actually look a little better without the canisters on the side, for making them more interesting however, how about a bunch of messy cabling from the gun connecting up to some beefed up power-source on the robot (i tihnk they have one on their back right? if not you could add one)

Thanks Carnosaur.

I was looking at using the power-pack off the actual Hellblasters but its not sitting on the back well. The big turbines the Thallax torsos have on them chews up half the back area and only the lower back would fit the power-pack, it looks a bit weird. I agree that that would likly be a good way to go tho. More tinkering it is then. Cheers.

Looking lovely, in my opinion – keep up the good work :smile.:

*SNIP*Sigh. Really couldn't get in to this guy. All I've done is add the plasma tanks to the side of the existing gun. Needs something else, a lot else really. Suggestions would be appreciated.

I'd perhaps modify the helm to have some form of protective layer – a bit like the 'welding masks' on the new flying Marines (Inceptors?) 

The focal point's the head, so any changes here are always effective at communicating a different role/function.

Once again Apologist, thanks.

Great idea with the 'welding mask' look. I think that could be the way to go. I wanted to add some extra targeters too on the right shoulder area so that might help to chanege the profile. I'll play around with the head and see what I can come up with.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Bjorn.

It seems the posts are getting further and further apart at the moment, I'll endevour to rectify that. I would possibly help if I had reliable funds to throw at my hobby and also if I didn't keep side-tracking myself with new units before finishing the ones I've started.

That said, I got side-tracked, twice. Opportunities came up to get a few models I wouldn't otherwise have gotten for a long time and so the little cash I could scrounge for hobby went somewhere other than more Thallaxii to finish of my Intercessor squad. Instead I've got sme VERY WIP shots of two units that I'm really excited about. First up is another War-Robot to add to the cohort but he's a bit bigger than the Thallaxii:

gallery_115548_14900_1148976.jpg

Yep. Its a Thanatar, or rather its my version of a Redemptor Dreadnought :biggrin.: I've been eyeing off this kit for ages now but never really had a use for it seeing as its sooo huge and I was never gonna play 30k Mechanicum. Luckly he's pretty much on par with the actual Redemptor and is exactly right to go with my RoboPrimaris army. Like I said, he's still in the infant satge but the initial proof-of-concept with the plasma cannon worked. Now to build the rest of him...

The other unit that had me side-tracked from the side-track is my take on a Deimos Predator. I'd seem someone flip around the body on a Plagueburst Crawler so the tracks were more like the Sicaran and I really loved it so I was dead-set to go doen that track and mke myself an archeotech Predator. The a mate of mine happened to show me a 3D printed Sicaran he'd gotten from Thingverse and I thought "that'd be even better, and cheaper." The bonus with this was that I could down-scale the Sicaran to be just a bit bigger than a Rhino rather than A LOT bigger. There is a lot of work to be done on the hull and tracks to patch up the smooth out the print but I couldn't help myself and started to work on the turret with C-Beam Cannon:

gallery_115548_14900_348418.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_159037.jpg

Seriously chuffed with how the C-Beam Cannon has turned out. There's a little 'something' still to add to the top of the turret to cover that blank patch but I've gotta find said something. I'm hoping I can do the rest of the idea justice with the main body of the tank. This is the first time I've been excited about building a tank since the Land Raider kit first came out (so like 18-20 years?)

Anyway, hope you all enjoy and I'll try my hardest to keep the updates on these guys a bit more frequent.

Cheers,

PHM

We need to see the Thanatardemptor finished :wink:

But the Thanatardemptor and Deimos Predator look good so far. :thumbsup:

Thanks Gederas. The Thanatardemptor, as you've dubbed it, is a little stalled at the moment. I got it second-hand off a BSS site on FB and unfortunatly the guuy that sent it forgot one of the bags, the one with the arms and waist in it :wacko.: So while I'm waiting on them to turn up there's little I can do on the big guy. I'm gonna focus on the Predator for now and getting the print up to scratch but that won't make for interesting pics. Hopefully something fun coming up soon tho once boring parts are done and bitz turn up.