Ferrum Aeternum - A brief return - with Paint!

Well, IHs got nerfd, I'm out.

Fun fact, though: When I read about the nerf and saw internet awash with - possibly even justified?! - ridicule for people who had just painted their Ultramarines black, my first actual concern was to ask myself what this might mean for your extraordinary army -- very glad to hear you're hanging in there! Plus I can sympathise -- us World Eaters know a little something about being let down by GW ;)

Seriously, though: Please keep doing what you're doing! :)

Nah, never, bionics for life, keep on going till im more machine than man. Like the thread says, Ferrum Aeternum!

You're a man after my own heart. The hobby and the fun will always trump the rules, every single time. Besides, if you abandoned this army I'd have to find you and glue your face to your hobby desk.

The good news is that GW ebbs and flows with power. We've all experienced the highs and lows of GW rules writing.

Heheh, fair call Cryptix. Just felt like poking fun at all the stupid posts on FB I've seen wingeing this week about the FAQ. And Kraut, the army was never in danger. I don't even play, why the heck would I care about a silly thing like "rules" or "table legal" or "Codex compliant"?

May the Glorious Iron Tenth march for another ten thousand years!

Edited by PowerHungryMonkey

You're a man after my own heart. The hobby and the fun will always trump the rules, every single time. Besides, if you abandoned this army I'd have to find you and glue your face to your hobby desk.

The good news is that GW ebbs and flows with power. We've all experienced the highs and lows of GW rules writing.

A brief moment of silence for those of us who may actually have glued our faces (etc.) to our hobby-desks in the past due to ... prolongued periods at work For The Emperor. 

But seriously; great log, and some highly innovative use of the Primaris range to make really cool stuff; that often manages to feel a lot more 'true' to 40k in the older sense than some of the actual places GW's taken the range more recently. Well done. 

Fun fact, though: When I read about the nerf and saw internet awash with - possibly even justified?! - ridicule for people who had just painted their Ultramarines black, my first actual concern was to ask myself what this might mean for your extraordinary army -- very glad to hear you're hanging in there! Plus I can sympathise -- us World Eaters know a little something about being let down by GW :wink:

Seriously, though: Please keep doing what you're doing! :smile.:

Mate, there's a difference between us Chaos (Especially the World Eaters, Emperor's Children and Night Lords) players being let down by GW's rules writing team, and GW taking a bat to the knees of a super overpowered force :laugh.:

Now.... PowerHungryMonkey, any more slick conversions to show off? :laugh.:

Edited by Gederas

Fun fact, though: When I read about the nerf and saw internet awash with - possibly even justified?! - ridicule for people who had just painted their Ultramarines black, my first actual concern was to ask myself what this might mean for your extraordinary army -- very glad to hear you're hanging in there! Plus I can sympathise -- us World Eaters know a little something about being let down by GW :wink:

Seriously, though: Please keep doing what you're doing! :smile.:

Mate, there's a difference between us Chaos (Especially the World Eaters, Emperor's Children and Night Lords) players being let down by GW's rules writing team, and GW taking a bat to the knees of a super overpowered force :laugh.:

Now.... PowerHungryMonkey, any more slick conversions to show off? :laugh.:

I think you mean arrow...

Alas, no more hobby at the moment. I've got those Dev's sitting there all armless, headless and sad but I just can't work up the mental strength to start chopping into terminator arms to get the posing right. I'm kinda hoping I can magically scrounge 3-4 sets of Suppressor arms to make it easier but while they're still only available in Shadowspear I think that's a looooong shot.

I've also tried to catch up on a lot of shows I've not yet watched or half started and thus hobby has taken a back seat. When I finish this season of Mind Hunter, and The Boys and Altered Carbon and Sabrina, plus there's more Umbrella Academy out soon, and Haunting of Hill House and.... hmmm. TV = procrastination.

There will certainly be more to come, I've got a few Thallaxii still to build for my 'Intercessor' squad plus a funky sarge idea, may jump on them instead. Soon.

Cheers

PHM

• 2 weeks later...

Been very quiet on the hobby front recently, just a bit of a lack of mojo. But to live up to my word and prove I haven't dropped the Hands due to rule-related hobbling, here's a few pics:

gallery_115548_14900_594392.jpg

The Devastator Sarge has had a bit of work. He now sports a dashing neck ornament along with a backpack-mounted storm bolter.

gallery_115548_14900_532113.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_471755.jpg

The Techmarine has also had a little work just to bring him up to finished. Added the targeter to the Beamer and a the backpack wires. He now looks very much like my other Conversion Beamer Techmarine.

And just for funsies, here's all the Techmarines and Iron Fathers together:

gallery_115548_14900_582448.jpg

They're rather impressive altogether I feel.

As you can see, very little work done to the Iron Hands. Some of this is due to apathy, but mostly its coz my brain has finally thrown up and idea for another project that has stuck and really taken hold. Its all in the mental stage at the moment while I gather funds and bitz but lets just say its about as far from the IHs as you can go while still being an Imperial Space Marine. More when this develops.

I'm not dropping the bionic boys at all but progess will slow considerably while funds are being channeled elsewhere. Still plenty of ideas for these guys before they get paked in.

Cheers

PHM

Looking great as always.

Any advice on sculpting cogs on top of the armor ?

Yeah, don't sculpt :biggrin.: I've used flexible decals from Zinge Industries. They work a treat. I've been using them all over the place on these guys.

Thanks to both you and Pearson. Its comments like that that keep me sticking to this army despite all the shiny that comes out of GW each month.

In other news, Project "Not IHs" has had its first purchase. Gotta source some bitz but hopefully something new will be hitting the WIP forums soon.

Man, that group picture is really awesome! What a collection of mean cyborg dudes! ;)

I do have one nitpick, though, and one that rears its ugly head when looking at that group picture: Somehow the head on that Abaddon conversion seems a tad too small, like it's almost a bit lost within that massive body? I cannot help wondering whether something like the slightly bulkier rebreather head from the second guy from the left would maybe work better in combination with that massive body?!

Anyway, keep up the fantastic work! :)

Man, that group picture is really awesome! What a collection of mean cyborg dudes! :wink:

I do have one nitpick, though, and one that rears its ugly head when looking at that group picture: Somehow the head on that Abaddon conversion seems a tad too small, like it's almost a bit lost within that massive body? I cannot help wondering whether something like the slightly bulkier rebreather head from the second guy from the left would maybe work better in combination with that massive body?!

Anyway, keep up the fantastic work! :smile.:

Thanks Kraut.

I know what you're saying about the head. It is smaller than a marine head. Its off the Kataphron kits. Its such a great head but I've been loath to use it before because of its size. When I tried it on power armoured guys it looked seriously wrong. Funny thing is tho, when I tried a whole heap of other heads on the Abaddon body they all looked too big or just plain wrong. The only one that looked right was the one thats there. I don't get it but it felt right. The actual Abaddon head is pretty small too but the top-knot makes it look larger. I don't know if its the modifide chest plate on him my guy or what but nothing else worked. I think it also makes him look even larger and more hulking.

• 1 month later...

Hello!

A good 6 weeks or so since I updated here or infact worked on the IHs at all. I've been focussing on my Space Wolves but mainly just been waiting around for bitz and boxes to slowly dribble in. Its been hard to hobby with a very intermitant influx of models and bitz.

The last little batch did have some bitz I was waiting for and its given me the chance to do a little more on my Robo Primaris. I've mamanged to get a 5-'man' unit of Intercessors finished including a 'sergeant' and am auxiliary grenade launcher:

gallery_115548_14900_154132.jpg

I've gotta stop buying Thallaxii off BuySwapSell sites for cheap. They always end up being recasts and they always end up being bad ones at that. Thats been part of the reason I've struggled to get this unit done. The bitz don't match up and some of them are blobby or bent. I've fought though it tho and learned my lesson and come out with a unit I'm pretty happy with overall. Its come out how I imagined it in my head. This does mean I have to make a Magos to accompany the Ambot Aggressors and figure out how to arm him to make it work. And maybe a little dude to trot alongside the Thanatardemptor....

For the 'sarge' I've used a Mechanicum Myrmidon. Originally I thought to have the whole force lead by Feirros and have him controlling all the robo units via noosphereic connections or something but it just wasn't working for me. I decided to go the Tyranid rout. Feirros is the Hive Tyrannt and the Magi Overseers are like the synapse creatures. Each robo unit will be lead by a Magos and act as a node for Feirros' commands while also having a level of self-control to react to battlefield conditions. Here's a pic of him by himself:

gallery_115548_14900_32773.jpg

Eventually I want to finish off this unit to a full 10 'men' and do some other robo units but the main focus is still on the Wolves and I've got a lot of stuff incoming to get a real move on them. The IHs will continue, as will the RoboPrimaris detachment. And to prove that, here's a group shot of the detachment as it stands, lead by Feirros himdelf:

gallery_115548_14900_1445967.jpg

Cheers

PHM

Nice work. Whenever I see this thread pop up I know I am in for a treat.

What is the gun on the back of the Thallax Marine second from the right?

Thanks Trokair. The gun is a Wulfen Grenade Launcher. I won't be using them on my Wulfen and so have a heap spare, they seemed to be exact;y what I needed for the Thallaxii unit. I also really like shoulder-mount weapons, so bonus

• 1 month later...

Galloway, thanks very much for the kind words. I've heard this from a lot of people and its hearting to think other people are so in to the work I do.

It is on that note tho that I have some bad news for you all. The Iron Hands are finished... Truely. They have been sold and gone to new Iron Fathers. Its sad for me in a way but also I knew the moment I got side-tracked on to the Space Wolves army that it was going to happen. I had fully intened to get back to them but the drive and motivation for them has dried up. Its is wholey focused on the Wolves now. I did get a bunch of group shots of the army as a whole and I was actually impressed myself at the size. I'd never really gotten them all out together until now:

gallery_115548_14900_97353.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_40831.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_318188.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_161319.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_36293.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_99019.jpg

Rather a glorius sight I must say. While these are the last shots of the army from me, they will not be the last shots. The army when as two large chunks to two people who both intend to get them fully painted (a feat I was NEVER going to acomplish) and they have both promised to send me pics of the painted minis. Hopefully this is the case I will get to see them properly finished and so will you.

In the end, this was the right way to go. I was very happy with the army but it was only ever going to sit in a figure case from here on out with maybe tiny additions here and there. I've been in this hobby long enough to know my temprement and know when an army will stop getting the attention it deserves. Better to sever the cord early and use the money to fund other current projects.

This is not the end of my explots on here. I still have the Wolves on going and actually nearing a completed army. I have already lined up a commission painter to do them for me once they are all built, so they too will actually reach full completion. This painter, in return, has commissioned my to do a fully converted Dark Mech army for him, so you will all get to see what I do with the other side of my Mechanicus-loving ideas. Waiting on kits to be sent to me so look out for a new plog soon.

Lastly, thank you to all who have commented and liked this thread. Its been great to hear feedback from this community as well as those on various FaceBook groups. You have made me enjoy this army even more and allowed me to share it with the world.

Praise the Omnissah!

The Emperor Protects!

The Flesh is Weak!

PHM

Edited by PowerHungryMonkey

Those are 2 LUCKY customers/buyers; as that is a magnificent array of IH’s and all truly one of a kind pieces!

Thanks for bringing Zinge industries to all of our attentions as well in the process; great source of unique and helpful modeling supplies.

Look forward to seeing you our wolves take shape too.

Absolutely fantastic, this army with the amount of detail you have on each model, the conversions, by far one of the best armies on this entire forum!

I am sure the new owners will be thrilled!

Space Wolves though? I hope you stay away from turning them into the cliche pit 99% of SW conversions turn in to. I have faith you won't though. :biggrin.:

Edited by Pulse

Oh man, I've been lurking in this thread for a good year and a half, so I thought I'd de-lurk and let you know it's been a big inspiration for my own Iron Hands kill team I've been working on off and on since then.

Sad to see you won't be finishing it but hopefully the buyers do, and we'll get to see them ready for war yet.

I look forward to seeing where your Space Wolves go (they're already shaping up awesome).

While I am sad to see that this will not be going any further, as it has been both inspiring and awesome with the conversions you have done, especially the use of the various 30k Mech stuff, I am glad that they have gone to some good homes.

Now I better go and have a look at your Space Wolfs to see what conversions you have concocted there.