Dual pistols (post-codex)

Mobius0288

So I brought this up a long time ago, close to when we first got access to primaris. This will likely apply to Veteran Vanguards only but I'll keep it generic in case someone found success "outside the box."

Is there any value in having dual pistols with current codex costs? The options we have available:

(Bolter shots) Reivers |vs| Inceptors |vs| Veteran Vanguard |vs| deep strike storm bolters

-and-

(Plasma) Inceptors |vs| deep strike Hellblasters |vs| Veteran Vanguard |vs| deep strike veterans

What do you think would get us the most bang for our buck without sinking a bunch of points into a (probably) turn 2 ambush? Or even a turn 3 back lines disruption?

Pistols are only a viable option if you end up locked in a close combat that you WANT to stay in, but also want to shoot.
So bolt pistols (overpriced to buy 2 of them), plasma pistols (managable as they now cost roughly equivalent for what a plasma gun costs, but you don't then have a melee weapon to swing), grav pistols (see plasma), inferno (oh hells to the no on this), are all not good choices in my opinion.

Pistols are not a viable option on Veterans, mandatory on Reivers/Intercessors/Hellblasters, and the only viable ranged option for a Vanguard Veteran. I'd only put one on a Vanguard Vet so he can be a Tempest Shell designate. Otherwise, I'd rather proper firepower, but never two pistols on normal dudes. Ever.

The only exception is the Watch Captain who has to always take a pistol, so he's a funny choice to give him 3 pistols, but I'd rather not waste my points there and give him a melee weapon and a legit gun. So even he doesn't get two or three pistols from an efficiency standpoint.

I usually equip the VV with 2 pistols in my 10 man kill team (1 termi, 1 VV, 2 shields with storm bolters, 2 frags, rest storm bolters with chanswords) because I'm usually always deepstriking them and they have the same range as rapid fire storm bolters. 

I'd rather have two more SIA shots than some STR 4 chainswords, and since he's one of the last members to die, I'd like to keep him as useful as possible. If I really need the two points I just give him chainswords thought.

Plus two pistols looks awesome.

Archived