Your experiences using mutalith vortex beasts

Ahzek451

Has anyone used these guys much? What is the general thought now? 150 points seems about right, but it feels like these buggers just seriously lack in defense. Do they add much to your army? 

I have been considering running a pack of 2 with a defiler to fill out my heavy support. I realize this is a severe lack of shooting, but with the right spells pumped into the defiler, he could be enough of a distraction to let the beasts get by. I would only want to run these guys alongside some tzaangors. Be it our troops or fast attack kind.  

They're probably in the 'viable'category. By no means reliable as too easily killed but they provide nice buffs.

I find their buffs most synergise with Tzeentch Daemons for +1 strength to shooting on horrors or Flamers. The extra AP can be useful on a lot of things too.

Range can be an issue, they're pretty slow compared to a lot of the units you might want to use them on.

I havent bothered. In my estimation you would need 2 just to make sure they make it to enemies lines and at $85USD and direct only from GW. Im not going to pay that much for one model im probably not going to use, and is only kinda good.

They're not a bad option. Like many have said, two is ideal but not very likely to be ran. One will be ignored most of the game but the utility gained will pay off. Temporal Flux, for RR charges, is probably the biggest boon.

If you think you're going to use a CP for a charge RR (Tzaangor Bomb) then it's 150 points well spent. This has saved me from having to use Warp Time on Tzaangors instead of Magnus.

Running him into a screen to get below half wounds, dropping a Tzaangor bomb and giving them RR charges at 18" is pretty crazy.

Not bad, but not great. Made for assault armies.

I'm still pretty new to the Sons, but I've been playing them exclusively for a few weeks now and I've used a pair of mutaliths every time. 

I like them.

But I'm not really impressed by them. 

They are far from bad.  Their powers are kinda fun, and I won't hesitate to use the stratagem when one gets stuck in or when I really want the charge reroll.  They also munch non-blob infantry like champs and are beefy enough to take vehicle overwatch and tank a lucky shot or two.  They're pretty ok distraction carnifexes.

But that's the real issue.  They are the distraction.  I think you really need some princes, a tzaangor bomb, something like maulerfiends, helbrutes, etc. to make them work.  Not only for the buffs, but just because you really want them to be sucking down firepower that could be pointed at something more dangerous.  They are also really 300 points...because 2 is 1 and 1 is 0.  They just aren't sturdy enough to survive, even if you go first and put Glamour and Weaver on them. 

I'm glad that I have two and I've not yet regretted putting them on the table.  But I wouldn't advise anyone to rush out and buy them.  Especially in a more cutthroat environment. 

I really like the model and think it fits well into our theme.

I have not gotten one yet though plan to.

Remember that post on FB when the dex debuted and someone whining about the possibility of mutilith spam sending massive amounts of MW out per turn? Lol, good times.

Well I'd be curious to see someone who pulled the most recent ITC/ETC events data for 1kS so we could see what units people are taking. I'd bet you'd see maybe 2% take a Mutalith.

Most (maybe all) the lists I've seen published are a Supreme Command of TS with battallion of Alpha Legion cultists and maybe another detachment. I don't recall seeing any Mutaliths (but there also isn't a huge sample size for TS so maybe that's the issue).

Archived