Mechanicus Tweaks

Xisor

Why when you can just take him anyway and benefit from the rule if you need it, would you wish him both made more redundant, and to push up the cost of other HQ's?

Truthfully, I personally dislike him and think he's a <data corrupted>.

I have, however, been vaguely considering a kitbash/conversion to approximate him, and make my own Archmagos Dominum.

But I have more interesting ones planned for nothing-to-do-with-Carl, not simply proxying him.

Nevertheless, were it not for personal pride, your suggestion would be fairly sound.

Not only that, doesn't some of the factions flavour get watered down by homogenising abilities and traits?

Perhaps. But if it goes hand in hand with breathing spirit into the factions' viabilities, I'll accept that.

----

With HQs, I suppose the general approach might be optimal?

E.g.

Tank (Archmagos Dominum)

DPS (Magos Sector, e.g. TPD but with Kataphron/Sicarians weapons)

Healer (Magos Dominum as they are now)

Cheap (Skitarii Commander)

Actual tank (e.g. Dunecrawler Alpha)

Fast Sydonian Magos Secutor

Cheap Gunboat Ballisterii Magos Secutor

E.g. going a few fancy but distinct directions. To avoid the risk of giving a no-brained option: disallow the Cheap on-foot Skitarii commandee, only the vehicle folks...

Expanding the weapons options would be neat too, but practically there'll still be a handful of optimum choices, so that's more fluff than brilliance.

Indeed, allowing free choice over a few profiles might work too.

----

I'm in danger of proposing 'an HQ for every model!' as I quite fancy an Electropriest HQ and a Sicarian HQ too.

But then Knosso Prond now exists, and they are only 25 points...

Ohhhh! I already have kitted up and painted Dunecrawler "Alpha" with the gunner holding a sword, dual power claws coming out the front etc etc. Would be cool as say a tank commander type model or even simply a gun line buffer. Sitting back field blasting things with its Neutron Laser sending coded command from special data tether (Aura shooting buff).

Ohhhh! I already have kitted up and painted Dunecrawler "Alpha" with the gunner holding a sword, dual power claws coming out the front etc etc. Would be cool as say a tank commander type model or even simply a gun line buffer. Sitting back field blasting things with its Neutron Laser sending coded command from special data tether (Aura shooting buff).

Have you got photos of them somewhere? Sounds awesome!

I've been considering that too, and I'm trying to stick to my own rules, e.g.:

1- Try to avoid invalidating existing things.

2- Be a useful addition.

3- Don't be too situational/limited.

4- Don't be too multi-purpose/overwhelmingly useful (e.g. Guilliman's aura).

To that end, I was thinking something like a 12" aura for the Broad Spectrum Data Tether, +2 WS for the vehicle (encouraging it to get up close and personal - very much a 'maverick' tank). Maybe a similar boost on its Emanantus Force Field (and counts in reverse, for other Onagers in 12" rather than 6").

Basically, keeps it simple but makes it useful.

----

I was also thinking, on behalf of modellers rather than any great use on the table, for allowing for 'single fist, single blaster' Kastellans. But I'm trying to think which would actually make for three viable options, rather than two no-brainers (or worse - one no brainer, as we currently have with all-phosphor runs).

E.g. single Fist is the rules as we have them. (So not too shabby as a Fist+Blaster+top-weapon.) My temptation is to give them the 'wrecker' rule that Ironclads have - re-roll fight phase 1s to-hit when it's got two melee weapons. But that steps on the Chant of the Remorseless Fists's toes, suggesting 1s to-wound rather than to-hit? But that takes us to Ryza's toes.

So my instinct then is simply to go straight down the Lightning Claw route: a pair gives +1 attack with that weapon each time it fights.

Suddenly, Ryza's robots come back for REMORSELESS FIST vengeance?

Strictly speaking, my desires are much closer to 'hey, give Legio Cybernetica full rules!, like Cybernetica Dreadnoughts (e.g. down to WS-4+/BS-4+, maybe dock a point of strength), but open up the full raft of chassis and weapons options...

And then add in factional stuff for famous Robot Legions. We've all those fancy colour schemes, after all, yet the only incentive is to match the Forgeworld you're trotting alongside. If you had a nice array of attractive rules that encourage <LUCIAN CYBORG ELITE> or <RED LESSONS OF AGRA PRIME> or <CROSS-SEGMENTUM CRUSADERS> OR <GHOUL STARS EXPLORATOR CRUSADE> or <XIIth GNUVIAN RECIDIVISM>, wouldn't that be legionarily lovely?

Actually, I'm also keen for the ability to field lone robots without tapping the under-strength allowance - mainly because 02-Hex, the Sol-Blessed, lone trusted guardian of Adept Veritus sounds awesome.

I digress.

Archived