1500 pts - Starting out with Legio Cybernetica

Malkalen

Hi there, 

Been collecting Custodes for a while (yes I know) and was looking to start something new but quickly remembered how much I dislike painting power armour. So i decided to have a look at a mechanicum force and was trying to find a decent starting point. This is what I've come up with and was hoping for some feedback for this list as a standalone but also as a building point to expand from.

HQ

Magos Dominus [90pts]
  • Selections: Cyber-familiar, Laspistol, Power axe

Magos Dominus [90pts]
  • Selections: Cyber-familiar, Laspistol, Power axe

Troops

Adsecularis Covenant [100pts]
  • Selections: Carapace Armour, Las-lock, 20x Tech-thrall, The Rite of Pure Thought

Adsecularis Covenant [100pts]
  • Selections: Carapace Armour, Las-lock, 20x Tech-thrall, The Rite of Pure Thought

Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple [280pts]
  • Selections: Enhanced Targeting Arrays
  • Castellax class Battle-automata
    • Selections: 2x Bolter, Darkfire Cannon, Shock Chargers

Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple [280pts]
  • Selections: Enhanced Targeting Arrays

Heavy Support

• Thanatar Class Siege-automata Maniple [265pts]
    • Selections: Enhanced Targeting Array, Thanatar Class Siege-automata

• Thanatar Class Siege-automata Maniple [265pts]
    • Selections: Enhanced Targeting Array, Thanatar Class Siege-automata

Allegiance

• Selections: Loyalist
Legio
  • Selections: Legio Cybernetica

So I had a look at your list and re-worked it a little. This is what I came up with:

Legio Cybernetica: 1500

HQ: Magos Dominus (125)

- Augury Scanner

- Cyber-Familiar

- Machinator Array

- Melta Bombs

HQ: Magos Dominus (125)

- Augury Scanner

- Cyber-Familiar

- Machinator Array

- Melta Bombs

*Augury Scanners are always worthwhile to stop you small army from being surrounded.

**I would also recommend the Machinator Array as it gives a bonus to Battlesmith and a variety of bonuses to ranged and close combat attacks.

Troops: Castellax Class Battle Automata Maniple (280)

- +1 Castellax Class Battle Automata

- Enhanced Targeting Arrays

- Darkfire Cannons

Troops: Castellax Class Battle Automata Maniple (280)

- +1 Castellax Class Battle Automata

- Enhanced Targeting Arrays

- Darkfire Cannons

Troops: Adsecularis Covenant (120)

- +10 Tech-Thralls

- Frag Grenades

- Carapace Armour

- The Rite of Pure Thought

- Induction Chargers

Troops: Adsecularis Covenant (120)

- +10 Tech-Thralls

- Frag Grenades

- Carapace Armour

- The Rite of Pure Thought

- Induction Chargers

***Induction Chargers make your guns Assault 2 (60 shots per unit)

Vultarax Stratos-Automata (185)

- Blessed Autosimulacra

****Vultarax are awesome! Haywire attacks will help deal with vehicles

Heavy Support: Thanatar Class Siege-Automata (265)

- Enhanced Targeting Array

*****You don't need 2 of these at 1500 points

Tactics:

- Both HQ choices join a unit of Castellax to repair them during the battle

- 2x20 Fearless Tech-Thralls are meat shields or objective grabbers

- Thanatar Sits at the back, Tech-Priest Auxilia hides behind it to repair

- Vultarax can hunt vehicles

Expansion to 2000 Points

Thallax Cohort (175)

- Melta Bombs

- Phase Plasma-Fusil

- Destructor

Thallax Cohort (175)

- Melta Bombs

- Phase Plasma Fusil 

- Destructor

*Need more scoring units than just the Tech-Thralls! Thallax are fast and strong

**Phase Plasma-Fusil is a great weapon

***Destructor gives Tank Hunters. Equipping them all with Melta Bombs will help you take out Vehicles.

Vorax Class Battle-Automata Maniple (150)

- +1 Vorax Class Battle-Automata)

- Bio-Corrosive Ammunition

****Vorax are a reall decent unit.

Hopefully that covers everything you wanted. I edited the original list to add a few extras in, then made some suggestions for future expansion. Let me know if you have any further questions!

EDIT: Just realised this list was illegal! Cybernetica have to have an automata in every choice before you select something else, meaning you can't take the Tech-Priest. Swapped them out for a second unit of Tech-Thralls so you have 2x20.

Hi,

Firstly thanks very much for the feedback and especially for the expansion ideas. 

I've been trying not to be "that guy", especially after playing Custodes for a while and I realised pretty quickly after making this list that 2x Thanatars was a little oppresive but I've always been a fan of Why have 1 when you can have 2 for twice the price. You're not the first to suggest a Vulturax and I was definitely planning on picking 1 up anyways. I very much like the list at 2000pts as it seems very well rounded without containing anything oppressive. 

Not related to the list per se but would you have any suggestions for tech thralls with las lock models as Forge World hasn't had them in some time from what I've seen.

No worries! I am a big Mechanicum fan, and would love to build my own force at some point, so I enjoy thinking about these lists.

Yeah, I totally get that. If you love the model, why not. But from a gameplay perspective you don't really need 2 - they are very expensive and at such a small points size you're already a small army. 

Definitely get one, lovely model too.

I would agree with you there - 2000 points is the way to go - that tends to be the entry level for 30k so a good size to aim for with a new army, and it is more well-rounded than the 1500 points which lacks scoring a bit (because none of the automata count).

That depends on how much you're willing to spend/counts-as to be honest. Off the top of my head, I can think of four options.

1. Buy Mitralock Tech-Thralls and use them as Las-Locks.

2. Same as Option 1, but extend the barrels (some kind of plastic rod might work) or replace them with an alternative (Skitarii rifle barrels maybe?).

3. Buy Skitarii instead and use/convert them to Tech-Thralls.

4. Wait it out a bit - probably just redoing the casts which take a while.

If you like a steam punk aesthetic, the Kharadron Overlord AoS range might have some rifle barrels that could be used to extend the Mitralocks.

https://www.bitzbox.co.uk/index.php/age-of-sigmar-kharadron-overlords-c-22_293?osCsid=f4c9dce655873da16bc4489e8d99dd4d 

• 1 month later...

EDIT: Just realised this list was illegal! Cybernetica have to have an automata in every choice before you select something else, meaning you can't take the Tech-Priest. Swapped them out for a second unit of Tech-Thralls so you have 2x20.

It's only for fast attack and heavy support in Cybernetica.

I agree, two Thanatar at 1500, while the shot is brutal, you'll struggle with anti tank (Something that I've been noticing while I'm learning cybernetica myself). A vultarax coupled with the double fire rite should scrap a spartan, which really lets you take control of the game if you stop their terminators choosing where they charge.

Other than that, it looks pretty solid. I'd add in some more castellax as you grow the list, they are fairly reliable but not exceptional.

Archived