Unit of the Week: Primaris Lieutenants

Jolemai

Welcome to the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the unique units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Primaris Lieutenants

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a Primaris Lieutenant?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples? If so, will these be separate FOC slots?
  • Footslog or transport? Suitable for Warlord duties? Weapon choice?
  • Suitable candidates for Tactical Precision?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems?

Over to you

Edited by Jolemai

they're basically like other lieutenants but they have better stats and fewer options. 

I've found that with a power sword they are quite dangerous thanks to the number of attacks, and they're quite sturdy so long as you're careful with them. their shooting options are so-so at best though, I tend toward the MC auto bolt rifle on them as I feel lieutenants will need to be mobile to best utilize the bubble, that being said, i have had the stalker pattern version hang out with hellblasters before and he works well there alongside a similarly armed captain.

unless you're going for a pure primaris army though, i dont really see why you'd use one.

Yeah they're quite neat beatsticks for us Blood Angels but they aren't exactly mobile and don't ever mistake them for being a duelist due their lack of invul save and multi-damage weapon. Charge them into some non-melee MEQ or GEQ together with some Intercessors and have fun.

Taking them for just their buff aura seems like a waste I'd say. Re-rolling 1s on to wound rolls is neat but not "pay for another HQ"-neat. Tho it does make Stalker bolt rifles slightly more interesting I guess.

Edited by sfPanzer

In common with the normal marine lieutenant, their aura can be great if you can buff a couple of squads of devastators, with the advantage of being a slightly tougher countercharge unit than the standard marine Lt. Had one buffing a 4 heavy bolter squad and a 4 lascannon squad in one game, they wrecked squads and vehicles all over the place.

• 2 years later...

I hope no one minds me restarting (revivifying? :wink: ) this thread in light of 9th edition. Things have changed slightly and our options have expanded so I think it is worth taking a look at the humble Primaris Lt once more.

First up, the changes to detachments generally means fewer HQ slots if we want to preserve our CPs. Most people seem to run a single Battalion or 2 Patrols these days so we are normally capped at 4 HQ slots for normal sized games. Secondly, we are normally limited to a single Captain unless we wish to start splashing out on CM upgrades (not a bad idea but not always for every list). This means that being able to put 2 Lts in a single HQ slot is now a more distinct advantage. Furthermore, it is now more obvious why will need to take a Lt for buffing rather than just another Captain.

The second thing that has changed is a new loadout on the table. The Bladeguard Lt from Indomitus stands head-and-shoulders above the other options in the Codex IMHO. He is the only version to have an invulnerable save without resorting to relics. Plus the MC Power sword is now one of the best weapon options for Blood Angels. S5 has always been a bit of a sweet spot for us as it means with Red Thirst, we are wounding MEQs on a 2+ and even Knights on a 4+ in the first round of combat. This guy just has a loadout that fits our style perfectly. If you look at his stats, he actually comes out 5 points less than a Firstborn Captain with essentially identical stats and wargear. Statistically, rerolling 1s to Wound is the same are rerolling 1s to Hit unless you are babysitting plasma. This means that if you are looking for a character who can fight well and dish out a generally useful buff aura, he is a solid pick.

The obvious question is what to take him with. Mobility remains a bit of an issue with Primaris so you will probably only want to take this guy if you are running Primaris transports or you have some foot-sloggers. If you have an jump-heavy or Mechanised firstborn army, this guy may not fit in so well. But in other cases, he is great. Obviously if you have some Bladeguard or similar unit that you plan to move onto and Objective to either clear it hold it, he is a perfect choice. He will buff the guys with him and dish out some serious hurt of his own in melee. Even if you just want a character to support your ABR Intercessors in the mid-field, he is a great choice for the role. I haven't got mine painted yet but once I do, I will add him to the thread.

The Indomitus Lt is also a solid choice to run with Gravis infantry (Aggressors, Eradicators, Heavy Intercessors). With 5 wounds and a 2+/4++ save, he is worth considering for HI + "Sacrifice of Angels" if your opponent manages to charge one of your shooty units.

I did a few lists with two lieutenants, the indominus one and a Phobos one, the indominus one had rites of war for the bladeguard and the Phobos one had the trait that let him change positions of 3 units, but that was before the supplement dropped, still good to be fair if you want to be hyper aggressive Edited by redshadow