Attending a tournament this weekend!

Qui-Gon

So end of Day 1.

37-5 vs Alaitoc Eldar. Tabled by top of 4.

16-27 vs Knights, Custodes & guard. 

28-29 vs Imperial Fists & Custodes. Lost due to a tactical blunder I didn't expect could happen.

So 1-2 on the day.

Mechanicus & knights are my round 4. Not looking forward to more bs.

Take home points:

Going first is very critical.

No difficulty at all killing Custodes. Like none. Ever. They just die, haven't not killed every captain I faced.

Don't charge if you've a knight already where he needs to be in combat, and give the opponent the ability to interrupt and kill the knight before it swings.

Good point about multiple charges when you have a 'critical-must-go-first' match up in play. 

I've done this myself. I'm assuming that's what you meant, describing your loss vs. the Fists? 

I do have a sizable Custodes force and since the day Deathwatch dropped I saw the DW as being kryptonite to Custodes (seriously). I've largely kept it to myself though since very few people seem to be keying in on this and the tournnie meta is still loaded with custodes (at least Bike Captains anyway). I think the saving grace for Deathwatch is they 'technically' perform horribly in Tournaments so Custodes probably feel safe in that respect.

Not quite. I had a single unit in combat from a prior turn: the Knight.

I declared charge with a new unit on my turn. He had 2 CP. So the unit fought, he interrupted against the knight and killed it. I shouldn't have charged the unit (they didn't get far enough to on the distance to get where I was hoping to get them anyway, and then the enemy unit that was in combat with the knight and could kill it interrupted and did. Rather annoying, but an important lesson I won't forget.

Ah I see. Well I think that happens to all of us from time to time. It's a weird mechanism that I always thought was a bit awkward. I always thought the 'interrupt' card caused that weird awkward situation where you actually don't want to go first with the unit that charged. 

So, I lost round 4 vs Custodes & guard. No Knights, nothing too annoying. His dice were just hot and could not roll below a 3 on his armor saves for his custodes. Also, way too many CP spent back and forth and recovery rolls. Really hoping these get nerfed hard.
Dropped round 5 because I had a long drive home and wasn't feeling that great after round 4.

Really pleased with my performance in round 1, could have won round 3 if not for my blunder. Round 4 if I'd played better there I could have done better as well. Round 5 will never know.

So, I lost round 4 vs Custodes & guard. No Knights, nothing too annoying. His dice were just hot and could not roll below a 3 on his armor saves for his custodes. Also, way too many CP spent back and forth and recovery rolls. Really hoping these get nerfed hard.

Dropped round 5 because I had a long drive home and wasn't feeling that great after round 4.

Really pleased with my performance in round 1, could have won round 3 if not for my blunder. Round 4 if I'd played better there I could have done better as well. Round 5 will never know.

I'm not a fan of "Ima spend a command point to reroll that," nor warlord traits that regenerate command points. When did that come into play anyway. Including a command point to reroll 1D6 instead of a full reroll on failed charges. Never made sense to me and part of the reason for co farms in tournaments I say. But besides the point. Always nice to read how it plays out.

Similar to my last list:

Watch Master

Captain w/ Jump Pack, Hammer, Storm Bolter & Banebolts

3 Librarians w/ Storm bolters (2 staff 1 sword)

3 frag cannon teams (2 frags, 3 boltguns, 2 chainswords 1 shield)

1 stalker team (5 stalker, 4 chainswords, 1 shield)

1 storm bolter team (9 vets, 1 vanguard, 9 storm bolters, 8 chainswords, 2 shields 1 pistol)

1 intercessor team (9 intercessors w/ bolt rifles, 1 inceptor w/ assault bolters)

2 rhinos

knight gallant

I run it as freeblade. Don't care for the house trait benefits barely at all from stratagems and i'm already tight on CP and unlikely to continue if they change the rules for CP so just future proofing that, the free re-roll per battle round trait, and then two burdens that pull the trigger on the knight for me rather than giving me some more control, but don't care about that. Its a gun I point and pull trigger.

It always does work.

Archived