Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What's the consensus on this new Astra Militarum tank?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12,734 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
I love the look of this tank! Very detailed and ancient looking design. Here's the model:

https://www.forgewor...84060-116171961

And here are the 40k rules:

https://www.forgewor...n_Datasheet.pdf

-~Ishagu~-

Wassa

Wassa

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 229 posts
  • Faction: Astra Militarum

So the Volkite weapons are the same points as Autocannons with 1 less strength but give mortal wounds on wound rolls of 6.

The vehicle does seem cheap points wise, but I think I'll stick to my Leman Russes!

• Least Devotee likes this

Harrowmaster

Harrowmaster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 561 posts
  • Faction: Alpha Legion, Imperial Guard

Looks interesting, mostly for maxed out lascannons but the model is expensive and it lacks grinding advance and the ability to receive tank orders, it also can't be taken in a squadron for the rare times that it might actually matter.

My (very slow) Alpha Legion blog for the Horus Heresy:

http://www.bolterand...y-alpha-legion/

My (hopefully not any slower than the above) Imperial Guard blog:

http://www.bolterand...3rd-army-group/

MrZakalwe

MrZakalwe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 146 posts

If you keep it cheap it looks like a decent investment- Heavy Bolter sponsons and Autocannon/Culverin turret would come to 100 points and give you a longer range alternative to the hellhound in the 100 point bracket. 

I like the look of it myself.

What I'd really like them to do it put out 40k rules for the basic Aurox transport vehicle.

“You’ll run out of expletives soon; I’d advise saving some for later. Not that keeping forces in reserve has ever been precisely your side's strong point, has it?” - Captain Jon Talman of the Octavian 609th during vox contact with an unknown heretic commander early in the scouring of Bellas VI.

WarriorFish

WarriorFish

++ PRÆFECT SOCIORUM ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 19,823 posts
  • Faction: Hunter Legion

I agree it needs to be kept cheap, otherwise if you're happy to spend a little more may as well go for the tried and tested Russ. That or access to volkite, the other weapons it has aren't anything to get excited about.

I'm not really fond of the appearance of it, chunky in places feels like someone tried a bit too hard with the backwards aesthetic of Imperial vehicles. I think the turret looks nice though.

Interesting to see the extra justification being given for 40k use, but I suspect the limitation on his will be the real life price!

ETL_2018_Medal_03_Primus_Interpares_02.gETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_04.gifgallery_30308_3239_3185.pnggallery_30308_9518_17558.pnggallery_30308_3239_193.pnggallery_30308_3239_17729.png
Painting Oaths Completed:
gallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_84.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gif
gallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gif
In the grim predictability of online 40k, there can be only Sun Tzu quotes

SM Cataphractii | IG Stormtroopers | CSM Chaos Rhino | =][= Hospitaller | AM Armigers | DE [Repaint]

Harrowmaster

Harrowmaster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 561 posts
  • Faction: Alpha Legion, Imperial Guard
Yeah, the price really stings. For €85 I could get two Russ which are much easier to put together, don't have as much prep time and have no chance of air bubbles.

My (very slow) Alpha Legion blog for the Horus Heresy:

http://www.bolterand...y-alpha-legion/

My (hopefully not any slower than the above) Imperial Guard blog:

http://www.bolterand...3rd-army-group/

Halfpint100

Halfpint100

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,057 posts
  • Faction: 32nd Firedrakes

I am not convinced. Autocannons might be best, but it doesn't look like anything special. 

MrZakalwe

MrZakalwe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 146 posts

Looks pretty middle of the road to me if kept cheap (not too bad, not amazing) and... I'm cool with that.

The last thing we want is another conqueror where the best Russ is out of production for 10+ years or an Artemia situation where the best hellhound is behind an enormous paywall.

“You’ll run out of expletives soon; I’d advise saving some for later. Not that keeping forces in reserve has ever been precisely your side's strong point, has it?” - Captain Jon Talman of the Octavian 609th during vox contact with an unknown heretic commander early in the scouring of Bellas VI.

Feral_80

Feral_80

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 579 posts

Not really worth it in any configuration when compared to a LR, except for the signature volkite stuff which might be fun.

For little more than 100 points per tank, you can easily afford to field a couple of these with full voklite, each rolling 8 dice at 4+ (when static and undamaged). At D2 each and with the potential to inflict mortal wounds, they would work great against e.g. shield terminators, custodes, wraiths, etc. And they still have the potential to kill some chaff.

I think I will give them a try. By proxying them of course - the FW price tag of the models is simply inaccessible, out of question.

Overall I quite like the concept: strangely enough, the Guard lacks a medium tank, and this might do the job.

Edited by Feral_80, 14 September 2018 - 06:44 PM.

point_Zer0

point_Zer0

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 97 posts
  • Faction: XXth

SM's predators are literally crying now.

• Halfpint100 and Least Devotee like this

My XX's legion forum topic and  instagram

Glute

Glute

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18 posts

Yeah, the price really stings. For €85 I could get two Russ which are much easier to put together, don't have as much prep time and have no chance of air bubbles.

You could buy 2 LR's for  the price of one of these (USD).  And not have to deal with resin and imperfections.  The plastic LR have as much detail as these.

Tirak

Tirak

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 421 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Guard

The major thing that hurts this tank is the lack of mobility. All its weapons are Heavy and it has no Grinding Advance equivalent rules. Its weapon mix is flexible, though ultimately on a Guard BS, pretty useless unless you're Tallarn or Cadian.

The one thing I can see this being used as is a cheap Annihilator. The fully kitted Leman Russ Annihilator with Hull mounted Lascannon is 182 points. That's 5 lascannon shots per turn, though 4 of them don't care if you're moving. The max lascannon version of this tank is 140 points. That 42 point difference is pretty good, though 20 of those points do go into the extra lascannon on the Annihilator proper. It can't recieve tank orders, but who cares since to be blunt, Tank Commanders are sub optimal and nine times out of ten if you bring them, you order yourself, not another vehicle, so that's not a problem.

If you play Tallarn, your efficiency hunting T7/3+ is 37.4 points per damage in an Annihilator, and 36 points per damage in the Carnodon. To reference, the normal Leman Russ against the same target is 44.1 points per damage. So the Carnodon, if in a Tallarn or Cadian force, is actually a fairly efficient anti tank unit.

• MARK0SIAN and Least Devotee like this

'Revenge is a dish best served with mayonnaise and those little cheesy things on sticks.' -Osric the Loopy, Imperial Governor.

MARK0SIAN

MARK0SIAN

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 551 posts
The fact it will only ever hit on a 5+ if it moves renders it a non-starter for me. Against any armies with hit penalties it’ll just be an expensive paperweight.

A real shame as it’s a great model, very reasonable points for some options and would look really cool on the table.

Chris521

Chris521

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 203 posts

I'm personally not a huge fan of how it looks which is fine since I'm not a fan of the rules and I don't really want to purchase anything from forge world right now.  As has been stated already, not having any rule allowing it to move and shoot without a penalty really hurts it.

Reviler

Reviler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 310 posts
  • Faction: Revilers & Astolat 352nd Guard
Chris521. Just take it as tallarn, no move and shoot penalty then

gallery_70393_10089_6259.png

The second sons of Corvus Corax, deliverers of Deliverence 

http://regiments.thefortressmonastery.com/trooping-the-colour/56790/

librisrouge

librisrouge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,257 posts
  • Faction: Cadian 333rd, the "Half-Damned"

It gives me sweet, sweet martian death rays in 40k. That was all I needed to know. I'm getting at least one at one point.

• Silas7 likes this

"Frak this, for my faith is a shield proof against your blandishments."

-Book of Cain - Chapter IV, Verse XXI

"I think you really need to be a guard player in order to have that kind of attitude about casualties. My forces were killed to a man for slight strategic gain? All I heard was a buzzing noise until that part about strategic gain."

-Ailarian, Hand of the Kind XXXI

http://thisisahelmet.blogspot.com/ - My Sometimes Update Blog

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_03.jpg gallery_4664_11830_5080.jpg sml_gallery_29004_10691_7586.pnggallery_48988_10980_7442.png

-Nemesis-

-Nemesis-

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 28 posts

110 points with 5 multilasers for 15 shots. Not terrible.

Beams

Beams

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,279 posts
  • Faction: Order of Our Martyred Lady

The major thing that hurts this tank is the lack of mobility. All its weapons are Heavy and it has no Grinding Advance equivalent rules. Its weapon mix is flexible, though ultimately on a Guard BS, pretty useless unless you're Tallarn or Cadian.

The one thing I can see this being used as is a cheap Annihilator. The fully kitted Leman Russ Annihilator with Hull mounted Lascannon is 182 points. That's 5 lascannon shots per turn, though 4 of them don't care if you're moving. The max lascannon version of this tank is 140 points. That 42 point difference is pretty good, though 20 of those points do go into the extra lascannon on the Annihilator proper. It can't recieve tank orders, but who cares since to be blunt, Tank Commanders are sub optimal and nine times out of ten if you bring them, you order yourself, not another vehicle, so that's not a problem.

If you play Tallarn, your efficiency hunting T7/3+ is 37.4 points per damage in an Annihilator, and 36 points per damage in the Carnodon. To reference, the normal Leman Russ against the same target is 44.1 points per damage. So the Carnodon, if in a Tallarn or Cadian force, is actually a fairly efficient anti tank unit.

The leman Russ is way tankier, though, and can move and shoot without be having to be tallarn, freeing it up for more powerful abilities, like the Vostroyan +1 to hit, a or the steel legion ignore ap-1

Lord Blackwood

Lord Blackwood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,190 posts
  • Faction: Knights / VI / VII

Looks great, I'm a sucker for Solar Aux tanks. 

Rules don't do it for me.

Think I would rather buy the las cannon Russ models from  forgeworld  since they  have grinding advance and they look really good as well. 

noigrim

noigrim

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,042 posts
  • Faction: Marines , Custodes & Guard
Meh it looks like a predator

Sense%2Bt%25C3%25ADtol%2B%25282%2529.pngETL_2015_Banner_01_Oath_of_Moment.jpgUntitled-1.jpgL_T_3_2017_Badge_02_Chaplain.jpgImg_CH00_08Awards_08_L_T_2013.gifL_T_3_2017_Medals.gifETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei01.gifETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_03.gifETL_2018_Medal_03_Primus_Interpares_02.gETL_Medal_03.gif

Tirak

Tirak

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 421 posts

The leman Russ is way tankier, though, and can move and shoot without be having to be tallarn, freeing it up for more powerful abilities, like the Vostroyan +1 to hit, a or the steel legion ignore ap-1

Which is why I said it was mostly useless unless you took it as Cadian or Tallarn...

Edited by Tirak, 15 September 2018 - 02:55 PM.

'Revenge is a dish best served with mayonnaise and those little cheesy things on sticks.' -Osric the Loopy, Imperial Governor.

Exilyth

Exilyth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 99 posts
  • Faction: AM, SM

3 scout sentinels w/one multilaser each are 135 points

Carnodon w/five multilasers is 110 points

Trades some wounds (and scout move) for more firepower.

Could go fishing for mortal wounds with the volkite loadout for just 8 points more (keeping one ML).

heavy support detachment full of them could do the anti-horde part of a tank company.

If only it weren't for the price ...

WH40k: Astra Militarum: ~2500 Pts, Space Marines: ~2000 Pts, ???: ~500 Pts

and if I had a camera, I'd post some pictures of them.

Feral_80

Feral_80

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 579 posts
Honestly multilaser are a waste. Worst weapon ever. Even 5 of them won't kill anything except chaff, but we should have enough lasguns for that already.
Volkite, on the other hand, is much more versatile and interesting.

Just go full-volkite Cadian for increased accuracy and focused fire (stratagem) on tough targets. I am still convinced that just any other configuration is a waste.
  • 4CIN87 likes this

MrZakalwe

MrZakalwe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 146 posts

Honestly multilaser are a waste. Worst weapon ever. Even 5 of them won't kill anything except chaff, but we should have enough lasguns for that already.
Volkite, on the other hand, is much more versatile and interesting.

Just go full-volkite Cadian for increased accuracy and focused fire (stratagem) on tough targets. I am still convinced that just any other configuration is a waste.

I'm not convinced the Volkite sponsons are superior to the autocannons they share a points cost with. Turret certainly but the lower mortal wound chance on the sponsons would push me towards the ACs or even HBs to save points.

The Titanz0r

The Titanz0r

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 22 posts

I can't get over how ridiculous this tank is. This thing just looks like a backwards facing, bulkier Leman Russ. Why does everything new in 40k look so goofy?  Rule of Cool only extends so far. And where does the fifth multi-laser go? There doesn't appear to be a mount for it anywhere, unless it's a pintle weapon.

It's also a shame that multi-lasers are trash now. It's not even the weapon's fault. It's the same profile it's always been. It's just the rules changed around it, and the other options are superior. It just needs a slight reduction in points or a minor profile adjustment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users