Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New to Death guard, must-haves/advice?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Shadowgaunt

Shadowgaunt

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4 posts

I've been playing Tyranids for about 3 years and decided it was time for a new army. Being new to CSM and Daemons I find Death guard and army building with them slightly confusing. My friend is willing to split dark imperium with me and I would like to know what else to get to make a decent list. I'd appreciate to know any must-haves (other than Typhus) and maybe even some example lists and strategies, thanks in advance!

Lord Marshal

Lord Marshal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,085 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Guard

The consensus on Must Haves is roughly:

Daemon Prince of Nurgle (with wings/talons)

Foetide Bloat-Drone with Plaguespitters

Plagueburst Crawlers

After that, I think the question is how tied you are to Plague Marines? I ask this because some people, even in competitive-ish lists, don't feel right not including them. Others are happy with just Cultists.

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,613 posts

Hi Shadowgaunt- welcome to a pretty popular and fun chaos army.

I think you'll like the overall flexibility of the Death Guard. A lot of Chaos seems a little stuck into a list and there's not a lot of popular options. The Death Guard do work really well with what's already been suggested: Foetid Bloat Drones, Plague Burst Crawlers and Daemon Princes.

What's great about the Dark Imperium box is the Death Guard portion is really usable. You'll be able to build off of that quite a bit. Eventually you can enjoy options like Mortaion of course, his body guard of Death Reapers, and the Cataphractii Terminators in Blight Lords. 

I think a foot army is fun, and usable with psychics and Cloud of Flies, but Rhino bound does work alright too. You can add in the unique units that help this like Biologus Putrifier, the Foul Blightspawn, etc to help this out.

The Plaguecaster is a great unit, and if you want to go the Poxwalker route, you can walk him up behind doing the buffing if you like. 

There's a ton of options really. You'll have to decide how competitive you want to be and focus on a direction to go. Eventually you can even ally in some Nurgle to extend your board coverage.

Click to see....
gallery_2760_14273_30255.jpg
Instagram: @Prot40k

strawberry fist

strawberry fist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 96 posts
Is three the magic number for Plagueburst crawlers? With a lord in the middle of them?

Tokugawa

Tokugawa

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 468 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

Is three the magic number for Plagueburst crawlers? With a lord in the middle of them?

With a poxbringer. PBCs auto hit.

Nicolai H

Nicolai H

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 47 posts

With a poxbringer. PBCs auto hit.

What is a poxbringer?

BlackTriton

BlackTriton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 562 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard

Poxbringner is this guy . he gives +1S to nerby nurgle Daemon, PBC included. Since the Plague spitter are dependent on the unit Strength stats, the poxbrigner is really relevant.

Nicolai H

Nicolai H

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 47 posts

Thanks

Dont-Be-Haten

Dont-Be-Haten

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,273 posts
  • Faction: Carmine Blades

I wanted to necro this thread with a few questions.

Why is the PBC such a "Staple" in this army? Is 3 what you have to take? Every game I've played against these things they don't do much. As an up and coming Death Guard player, is it really that important to invest in them when you can take a Renegade knight and it be more effective?

I absolutely love the Blight Lords, I feel as though they are a definite staple in the army. The sweet spot seems like a 5-10 man squad with 1/2 Flails 1/2 Blight Launchers. Is this how everyone else plays them?

I  see the merit in why the Daemon Prince is a staple. The reliability of re-rolling 1s, the over all well roundedness of a Nurgle Daemon Prince seems very keen.

gallery_62972_10568_26224.jpggallery_62972_10568_6124.jpggallery_62972_10568_31437.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Dominus_Exercitus_Blood_Angallery_62972_14467_3723.jpgxpyOWpw.jpggallery_62972_14467_9083.jpg

DemetriiTZ

DemetriiTZ

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 525 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard
Because it is less than 150 points for autohitting flamers with rerolling wounds, no-LOS shooting, T8, 12 wounds, invulnerable save, and FNP.

It's a battering ram that is cheap enough to throw away.

Dont-Be-Haten

Dont-Be-Haten

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,273 posts
  • Faction: Carmine Blades

Because it is less than 150 points for autohitting flamers with rerolling wounds, no-LOS shooting, T8, 12 wounds, invulnerable save, and FNP.

I guess I just dont see the appeal. Everyone I've talked to that runs them have not been impressed. Even watching batrep after batrep the only thing somewhat impressive is their resiliency.

They are a weird unit. The appeal with the bloat drones is they always advance and can jump up buildings etc. Basically doing the same thing, where as the PBC just seems to be lane and LOS blocking mobile terrain, but if you advance them you lose out on 2/3s of their weapons, and if you sit them back you are wasting expensive guns as a charge deterrent.

It seems more appropriate to take the entropy cannons and try to fire all weapons at the same target. However I feel that a land raider does the job of two PBC just at a reduced level of resiliency.

gallery_62972_10568_26224.jpggallery_62972_10568_6124.jpggallery_62972_10568_31437.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Dominus_Exercitus_Blood_Angallery_62972_14467_3723.jpgxpyOWpw.jpggallery_62972_14467_9083.jpg

Dallas Drake

Dallas Drake

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,006 posts

I guess I just dont see the appeal. Everyone I've talked to that runs them have not been impressed. Even watching batrep after batrep the only thing somewhat impressive is their resiliency.

They are a weird unit. The appeal with the bloat drones is they always advance and can jump up buildings etc. Basically doing the same thing, where as the PBC just seems to be lane and LOS blocking mobile terrain, but if you advance them you lose out on 2/3s of their weapons, and if you sit them back you are wasting expensive guns as a charge deterrent.

It seems more appropriate to take the entropy cannons and try to fire all weapons at the same target. However I feel that a land raider does the job of two PBC just at a reduced level of resiliency.

It's one of them where on paper it seems totally counter-intuative, I wasn't sure about PBCs but bought two to paint up, after using them I instantly bought a third. If I want to play competitively I alsways try to bring three.

They work because if your opponent ignores your PBCs then you'll just block off/screen big chuncks of the board or block off objectives and that will cost them dearly, top tournament lists control the board and stop their opponent from moving. If your opponent decides to deal with them then they take so much firepower that it will allow your less resiliant units in your army go about their business. I regularly take 3 PBCs and just ram them at my enemy, moving and advancing almost always; pretty much everyone I play dislikes charging them (GSC hate them), they're super tough so only the nastiest units will pop them in melee, if they don't I fall back and force them to take another round of spitters if they charge again, if they do pop it I use Putrid Detonation to do D3 mortal wounds to ALL units within 6". Shooting them is horrible as they're T8 3+ 5++ 5+++ so will draw literally a whole armies firepower... If your list has 3 PBCs and 3 butcher cannon Contemptor Dreads and a dual gatling Knight what do they shoot at first? Horrible decisions.

Entropy cannons vs spitters is an argument as old as Death Guard. IMO I don't think Entropy cannons work as well as they're base BS4+ which is meh, moving them makes them 5+ which sucks, that isn't an issue with the plaguespitters. The mortar is just whatever to toss at units out of LOS, D6 shots at BS4+ isn't worth staying still for, I just move them and have D6 shots at BS5+. Nobody is taking Land Raiders, or even Laspreds tbh, so personally I don't see entropy cannon PBCs having a role either.

I've been playing Tyranids for about 3 years and decided it was time for a new army. Being new to CSM and Daemons I find Death guard and army building with them slightly confusing. My friend is willing to split dark imperium with me and I would like to know what else to get to make a decent list. I'd appreciate to know any must-haves (other than Typhus) and maybe even some example lists and strategies, thanks in advance!

A lot of the codex is good. If you have Dark Imperium that's a good start. Maybe get on ebay and buy a few more bloat drones cheap as they are still about for around £10 each. Plaguespitter varients are pretty much best and they're the ones in DI. From there go with what you think is cool or fun to paint. I love Plague Marines so added 4 or 5 boxes of them to my collection next, PMs are as good as it gets for MEQs in 8th edition and I have fun using 4 or 5 units in almost all lists. Daemon Princes are good, Poxwalkers took a pretty big nerf but 10 man units are great to sit on objectives as they're immune to morale and a solid option if you're not bringing Daemons for Nurglings.

Edited by Dallas Drake, 01 May 2019 - 07:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users