Using Scions as alternate Solar Auxilia?

Droz_64

My plan is to use the Scions with Ad Mech Vanguard heads as Scions, saw some pics on google with them and they look good. Down side is though that Scions would be slighly more expensive than Scions, actually scratch that just saw your location. With the new prices from Forge World it may be the cheaper for you.

We've wound up doing something somewhat like this for the mortal auxilia accompanying my loyalist Iron Warriors [if there's interest, i'll hunt down pictures - otherwise, they should be findable in the relevant log in my sig]; although not for cost reasons.

The partsmix involved was basically 'whatever we had to hand' to create heavily armoured mortal infantry, visual cohesion with the accompanying [truescaled] Marines a bit of a bonus. This included legs mostly drawn from neophyte hybrids (although there's several greatswords legs in there as well, with additional armour plating often from the headhunters upgrades .. see what i mean about "not for cost reasons" ? :P ], torsos from Marine kits (and, in some cases with non-neophyte legs, the neophyte kit), heads from wherever felt 'right' [mostly greatswords], and arms mostly from Scions (along with a few skitarii or even empire general); capped off with backpacks mostly from the neophyte hybrid heavy weapons troopers (although also with a few scion or FW renegade packs as well].

Weapons-wise, we uh .. we do things a bit differently because everything's 'narrative'/Inq28-ish; but you could probably do the lasrifles with Skitarii galvanic rifles for starters. Volkites, you'd probably have to cut the Marine hands off 'em and find a set of human-sized hands/arms to accomodate [the Scion arms for the grenade launcher and other special weapons may be just the ticket ] in order to get them to look right, however i've occasionally managed to get away with Marine sized hands on some larger-than-usual armoured humans, so it's a matter of taste. Flamers, I'm unsure if the sorts more common for Guard and Scions in 40k are in-service in 30k, however the very pleasantly 2nd edition one that's in the neophyte hybrid kit would look pretty good, and there's not *that* much difference between the head of the Scion one versus the SA one, i suppose. Axes ... will require conversion,as i'm not aware of a bulk source of power-axes in human size . In the questionably likely event you want to run rotor cannons ... there's a few potential avenues for conversion. neophyte hybrid heavy stubbers with a barrel-swap {or the addition of multiple barrels?] , or something using Taurox punisher barrels would be the places to start, perhaps.

Now, I understand why you might use Skitarii heads, but personally i find htem a bit small to believably have a human head inside them - and this is possibly deliberate on the designer's part ... they uh .. they might not come off, you know what i mean?

[also, not that it's strictly speaking 30k, but I've built an array of 'different' looking and standardizeable Storm Trooper type for our various Inq28 projects - with two patterns in particular, featuring Scion legs  and different sorts of Marine torsos with cut down shoulders , springing to mind as potential options for Solar Auxilia rules-alikes in 30k]

Anyway, it may or may not work out running something built from the above in fluff-wise terms *as* Solar Auxilia - i'm not sure how or whteher htey had 'variant' patterns to their armour etc. 

But in terms of the gameplay side of things ... provided you've managed to do a reasonable job of WYSIWYG with the important elements of their wargear [i.e. the carapace-tier armour, being able to visually distinguish between the basic suits and void-reinforced/hardened iterations; making it so your opponent can tell what weapons are consistently what] ... that's a good start. And shouldn't be *that* hard to do. Although depending upon the size of your bitzbox and how involved you want to get with conversions, may work out pretty expensive...

The main issue you may run into is the fact that the Heresy is 'historical wargaming', so to speak - so depending upon your opponent, local milieu etc, it may or may not be viable to just run Scions as SA. However, assuming you don't want to go down the admittedly rather effort-intensive kitbashing route sketched out above, you can probably go a certain distance toward making them more acceptable through appropriate alterations ot the base Scion miniatures to try and improve hte "period accuracy" so they don't *just* look like 40k Scions with 40k weapons in 30k. 

My Auxilia:

gallery_60230_9843_452285.jpg

scions legs, backpacks, arms and converted weaponry, helmets from Puppetswar(all-enclosing) and torsos from Anvil Industries.

tried to go of the description of the selucid thorakite in angel exterminatus.

like Mogsam wrote, the imperium is massive, good luck trying to get all the soldiers equally equipped and armoured.

Personally, I think Solar Auxilia need to look voidproof. That means head selection will be key.

Consider that the void armor you see them in on the Forge world models may not be their only equipment. Those suits could be like modern day chemical gear, something worn over their basic combat uniform. Just a thought.

Would that be acceptable? Paying $70 for a squad... yikes. What would you guys think of using Scions instead?

Since Scions are as expensive as SA there is nothing to gain in taking them as proxies if ya ask me.

I'd go full on Anvil Industries and start with these torsos:

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/Regiments/Torsos/gothic-void-torso

After that I'd search for the right helmet because I think it should look void hardened.

Personally I like these

https://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=775

but obviously there are many more choices in different miniature companies.

What I won't do is simply take Scions because

A) they are expansive

B ) everyone would assume I took them because I am cheap ;)

C) the parts I meantioned look way cooler and fitting to the 30k style in my oppinion and finally

D) building your own miniatures is fun and it is exciting for your opponents too. After all they get to see an army they never saw and lots of 'Uhhhh's and 'Ahhhhhh's will be your reward. :D

Scions are $29 per squad for me, so it's $58 vs $69, and free shipping on the $58

Ah you ninja'd me.

See above fore more reasons to make your own army instead of taking Scions*. ;)

* Which is totally acceptable, by the way.

Gorgoff, any particular reason for not suggesting Anvil Industry heads to go with those torsos? They have some great looking void helmets. Those puppetswar ones look good too, but Anvil's heads would be a perfect fit.

When I wrote it, it was 4:50 in the morning, only my left eye was open and I barely managed to move my left finger to navigate on my smartphone, so... that's why I didn't meantion them. ;)

But of course Anvil has a lot of very cool helmets, too.

I’m a big proponent for using Anvil, but when I totaled it out (using their range from head-to-toe), they ended up being nearly the same cost as genuine Solar Auxilia from FW. This was before the FW currency changes, but still not saving you as much as you’d think.

Archived