Farsight Enclaves - O’Vesa Riptide - Complete sans base

Bryan Blaire

He’s got leeeeeggggggggs and he knows how to use them! *ZZ Top riffs*

med_gallery_59244_13266_89530.jpeg

I realize I never put an image up of the armor panel lining for the ion accelerator, but I ended up feeling that the Blood Angels Red 1:4 with Contrast Medium just wasn’t dark enough, so I switched to Flesh Tearers Red 1:4 w Medium for the red on the legs. For the light grey, I used the same ratio with Cygor Brown. The dark grey was still lined with Black Templar.

For the shading, I plan to go back to using Shade colors, as they are more dull, but I may try to blend them out more, since this is a much bigger battle suit. There’s some definite clean up needed on these gams too.

Pretty happy with how O’Vesa is shaping up so far, but C&C is always welcome.

Gods those colours and lines are so clean. Amazing work man.

Appreciate it Focslain, but on this one, it might be a trick of the lighting too.  There’s some definite mess, and I’ve noticed that photographing red causes some wash out in the photos, especially since I’m taking them from my phone and don’t have good editing software available.

I will say that I definitely like the Contrast paints for doing armor panel lines in various colors, they seem to do that work better than the Shades do - now to just learn to blend with them better.

Actually, now that I think about it, I wonder if you can use the Contrast Medium to do blended out edges like you are supposed to be able to do with Contrast colors - I like the muted effects from the Shades better than the more potent Contrast colors for shadowed areas.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got a bit farther on O’Vesa - base coated and armor panel lined all of the torso block and jet pack thruster elements. I also finally got the engine glow the way I really wanted it to look - went for powered up because he’s going to be firing his ion accelerator and needs the counterbalancing element - engines on the front and below are not light brightly, while the rear three are, and his body is slightly hunched forward.

(click images for large views)
med_gallery_59244_13266_157180.jpeg

med_gallery_59244_13266_934587.jpeg

med_gallery_59244_13266_239404.jpeg

I’ve still got some clean up to do, and for some reason, all my Contrast armor panel lines on the torso came out much glossier than they have before, so I’m either going to have to hit them with a couple layers of Lahmian/matte medium or I will need to fully matte varnish them to get that to go away. His sensor head unit is also done with a green lens style eye, but I’m saving that for when I get the cannon positioned to add that sense of weapon importance/target acquisition.

I’m saving shading and highlighting for full assembly on this one to see how that goes.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my “completed” (minus markings and base) O’Vesa of the Eight Companions (Riptide):
(click on any to enlarge them to Large size)

Completed O’Vesa Model - Brightened:
med_gallery_59244_13266_44431.jpeg

Model - Darker Light (hopefully shows up the highlighting/contrast a little better):
med_gallery_59244_13266_976938.jpeg

Closer Look at the Energized Shield:
med_gallery_59244_13266_213403.jpeg
I was trying to show the shield powered up via the inner ring, glowing the blue-green color I have been using for the ion power of the Tau generators - not sure I fully pulled it off, but wanted to try and show the energy flowing out along the connector units.

Fusion Blasters - Resting Power:
med_gallery_59244_13266_25022.jpeg]
I was hoping here to show the fusion blasters of O’Vesa’s suit in a resting/de-energizing state, perhaps having just fired in preparation for the ion accelerator blast.

I like the way it came out - used Baharroth Blue in the entire recess and around the rim, then put a small amount of Contrast Medium across about the middle third or so, and then used 1:3 Terradon Turquoise from the back of the recess up to about halfway through the pure Contrast Medium. That dried in a very nice gradient and I really like the effect - I will definitely be using it on other larger blasters from now on.

Fully Highlighted Rear Thrusters:
med_gallery_59244_13266_546112.jpeg
I posted these before, but now the entire back of the unit is highlighted as it should be. I really like how the thrusters on the packs turned out.

I’ll have to finish the base when I’m finally in a good place to get it primed, but I’m going to try and match it up to the blended Sectors Mechanicus and Imperialis bases that I’ve been using on the other Tau forces I’ve made.

• 2 weeks later...

Very Nice!,

I had to recently get rid of most of my T'au army (we moved into a smaller place and I could only keep so much 40K/Warhammer stuff :sleep: )

anyways I made sure I kept some Kill Teams worth of pathfinders and warriors but also kept my only Riptide which I hope to finish one day!

seeing yours has made me glad I kept mine ,it's such a cool looking model and looks like a joy to paint!

Your power effects and highlights are very well done 2x:thumbsup: 

Cheers, Mithril  

• 2 weeks later...

Very Nice!,

I had to recently get rid of most of my T'au army (we moved into a smaller place and I could only keep so much 40K/Warhammer stuff :sleep: )

anyways I made sure I kept some Kill Teams worth of pathfinders and warriors but also kept my only Riptide which I hope to finish one day!

seeing yours has made me glad I kept mine ,it's such a cool looking model and looks like a joy to paint!

Your power effects and highlights are very well done 2x:thumbsup:

Cheers, Mithril  

Thank you Mithril!  Sorry it’s taken so long for me to write something back to you.

It’s a shame to have to get rid of hobby stuff, but hopefully it went to a good home - and being lighter can keep you more focused!  (I tell myself that sometimes, but it doesn’t work)

The Riptide was great to paint, but they are damn big - if I hadn’t primed it all with a pretty close red color already, I am not sure I’d have been able to get it finished.  I will definitely need an airbrush or something before doing the next one, and certainly before anything bigger (which I completely don’t understand how it even fits into standard 40K scale).  I want to make sure to do the big Gatling cannon on the next one.

Appreciate the kind words on the paints, I’m striving to find new ways to improve and fix/do them more easily.