Farsight Enclaves - O’Vesa Riptide - Complete sans base

Bryan Blaire

You could argue (from 4th edition codex I think?) That FSE could be +1 to hit in close combat (you could buy a weaponskill upgrade on a per model basis in a Tau army led by Farsight, this was when you had to get permission and play over 1500 points to use them.) It didn't do much because their initiative was bad. But in eighth, hitting on 4s instead of 5s would be dandy (as a Sept tactic not on a per model basis).

I kinda get why they wouldn't push units of suits able to take fusion blades, but it sucks anyway because that would be pretty cool to have a unit of suits with fusion blades.

Viorla had a much less striking theme back in the day (sorta off green/white) and with their upgrade took a lot of zap away from an enclave army. I painted mine blue because 1. Tau blood is blue and the whole 'hot blooded' thing I took to mean the Tau were hot blooded.

2. (Primarily) I wanted a blue army. Tan blue and gray. My suits were more colorful with my infantry I was going more for muted themes as they are supposed to use cover and the bad guys are supposed to go *insert any Armored Core or Gundam opening* at the sight of the suits. The infantry was there in early editions to stay in cover providing transports while the suits killed the heaviest stuff.

Edited by Trevak Dal

Viorla had a much less striking theme back in the day (sorta off green/white) and with their upgrade took a lot of zap away from an enclave army.

Originally I believe the colors for Vior'la were Rotting Flesh armor, Catachan Green fatigues (and weapons too, IIRC), and red markings as shown in an old Codex.

And "zap"?

Funny isn’t it!,

the “new” Vior’la scheme is what got me to start T’au in the first place, a real nice pairing of colours... I kinda wish that was the original scheme for T’au!! , any more progress pics Bryan ??!... ;-)

Cheers,mithril

Edited by mithrilforge

Generally made them look less striking in comparison to the rest of the Tau Sept colors.

And yeah the armor color doesn't matter, the Tau aren't big about being "loud and proud" like marines as they thump their chests about how manly they are as they assault a world.

any more progress pics Bryan ??!... ;-)

Sadly, not yet. Between a kiddo and other commitments, I didn’t get any more paint on these guys like i was hoping.

I'm with you there... :sweat:  

hope you get some spare time soon!

cheers, Mithril

p.s. i was planning on doing some more of my T'au killteam tonight but picked up red dead redemption II this morning... :woot:  ...maybe a balance is needed :tongue.:  

Progress!!

med_gallery_59244_13266_4336.jpg

Hopefully the shading is evident, and I've brought the red and dark grey back up where they need to be on the higher points, plus the light grey on the first two (hopefully get to hit the last one tomorrow night). After that, initial line highlighting, then on to the arms!

Mithrilforge, good luck with Grand Theft Horsey 2! Buddy of mine says it will eat your life (but he's also known to get a wee bit obsessed with video games).

• 2 weeks later...

So got all the line highlighting on the dark grey and light grey completed on all three models, as well as getting the dynamos brought up to their highest paint layers. Managed to complete the first layer of line highlights on the red and it turned out thus:

med_gallery_59244_13266_334864.png

So this is as far as they will go until I get the arms and pauldrons done and on the models, then I will decide whether to give them their final line highlights and any spot highlights or just move on with them good enough for play.

Hopefully the matte varnish will kill some of the apparent glossiness that is throwing more reflection than it seems like it should be (everything has been matte paint so far, even the shades, the only gloss shade I used was on the upper half of the dynamos).

Really great job with the edge highlighting. I wish I could do it this well too! ^^

Just a thought about the face plate ... maybe they would look better doing them in grey as well? To break up the big chunk of red like you did with the rest of the model. 

Only just noticed this thread.

You’re doing a cracking job on these!

I’ll be watching with interest as the Kill Team develops.

Very well done.

Thank you sir! Really appreciate it.

There are a couple of details that are really killing me, but in the interest of getting to play, I am struggling to strangle my inner critic and keep from going back over stuff if it will be available to me to correct later.

Really great job with the edge highlighting. I wish I could do it this well too! ^^

Just a thought about the face plate ... maybe they would look better doing them in grey as well? To break up the big chunk of red like you did with the rest of the model.

:lol: The heft of the line highlights is one of the things killing me. :lol:

I'm glad y'all like them, but I'm used to being able to get them thinner without having to resort to a 000 brush - I'm limiting myself to four brushes (GW M Shade, and sizes 1, 0, 00-looks like I might need to switch my 00 out for a new one and get some brush care going - I keep three 00s in rotation usually) for this project and about a 15ish color limited palette with minimal mixing, of which I've already used two (which I think will be my limit).

I like the idea of the grey face plate (I'm assuming you meant the dark grey, since the light grey would indicate a shas'vre) and I may use that on my next Stealth Team (I know they really aren't a common FSE unit for their more straight-forward Mont'ka Tactics), but I'm liking these guys and they will compliment my Ghostkeel in normal 40K games.

wow now they're really starting to POP! :wub:

Thanks mithril!

i was thinking white face plates like the antennae top or even Black ^_^ but i'm sure whatever you go with will look smashingly good anyway :tu:

Well, can't use the light grey face plate, per the above, that would indicate the suit wearer is a Shas'vre, since I'm using the light grey as the "sept" color. I think the dark grey will work well though!

Thanks for the... inspiration!

Wow, thanks man, that's super-high praise! Keeping going is the hardest thing for me, so the idea that I might be able to provide that in even a little way for someone else is something rally nice to hear. Hope to see some of your stuff in the future!

Yeah I meant the dark grey for the reason you mentioned yourself.

Well there's always a next time and even Farsight uses the full range of units avilable to the T'au. It's just the way he uses those is different to Kauyon so he prefers Crisis Suits...kinda like BA still follow the Codex Astartes but have a thing for Jump Pack assault units. ;)

Liking the idea of the dark grey faceplates for the next unit more and more. Depending on where this Kill Team goes, might even be sooner rather than later.

For now, got the highlighting on the main bodies completed, so I can finally move on to the arms and weapons:

gallery_59244_13266_32391.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

And almost two weeks later, I'm finally willing to call them ready (except for the bases):

gallery_59244_13266_115508.png

gallery_59244_13266_187929.png

gallery_59244_13266_94084.png

I used the small targeter to represent the Target Lock.

Shas'vre w/ Fusion Blaster (alternate weapon):

gallery_59244_13266_23388.png

Family Photo Time!

gallery_59244_13266_11096.jpg

Hopefully they look like they fit! Making good notes on the scheme this time, and while I really wish I could come up with a good digi-cam appearance for the Pathfinder fatigues, I am planning to just truck on with them anyway. Looking forward to the special weapons and some drones!

• 4 weeks later...

Many belated thanks, Mithril! Hope that everyone had a great festive season going into the new year!

On that note, I am hoping to have this Recon Drone done by the new year and carry the momentum forward into 2019 to help me complete some projects.

I made the mistake of spending a large amount of time painting the drone while still on the sprue, which didn't do much good, as now the paint has rubbed off or is flaking in numerous places. Now that I've got it based, it will be easier to get it polished up and polished off. I do plan to paint the main optics node on sprue, but I'll get that attached and finished shortly. The base is done to match my slow-growing Sector Mechanicus terrain for gaming - Kill Team at first, and then eventually a whole table's worth (hopefully with multiple levels).

Here's the current drone standing:

med_gallery_59244_13266_147888.png