Noob Chaos Daemons Questions

dbecer01

I own Imperial Guard, and I was wondering a few things about pure chaos daemons lists:

1) How hordy are they? Will I have to buy tons of models?

2) Do they take a long time to play ( I find that -- for example -- playing Space Marines is a lot faster for me than playing Imperial Guard -- though, I have gotten faster at this -- however, even deployment takes a long time, due to organizing all of the different models).

3) Are they difficult to transport or fragile models?

4) Is Daemon animosity a thing? Would anyone care if you had multiple detatchemnts of daemons of different gods?

1) Very. The basic Troops cost around 7ppm and you need lots of them since they all are melee (or super close range in case of Tzeentch) or nothing will ever arrive at your opponents lines. You also have no transports to make them more durable and reduce the model count.

2) I guess a lot less than Astra Militarum because Daemons are mostly melee and die fast but they are still a horde army so it's not as fast as playing Marines with lots of tanks etc.

3) No experience but it doesn't look like they are aside from Greater Daemons with huge wings.

4) The gods are rivals among eachother and the daemons are just extensions of their being, so yes there is animosity. If you want to know more details then just read the wiki pages of the specific gods since those usually explain nicely what traits the god has and which other chaos god they like the least (Khorne dislikes Tzeentch and Slaanesh, Slaanesh dislikes Khorne, Nurgle dislikes Tzeentch, Tzeentch dislikes Nurgle). They do fight side by side on occasion tho. It's just rather unlikely to happen if they have a choice.

Whether someone would care depends on the person of course. The more competetive your meta is the less people would care about fluff when writing a list. Nobody should give you :cuss for building a mixed daemon army tho. It's your army and if that's what you want to do then that's perfectly fine!

There is a strong argument that daemons work much better when you have different gods in your list

I love having different detachmmets from different gods

I play them horde and temd to go for all the fast units, daemonettes are fine on their own with character support everytuing else I tend to use the fast stuff or deep strike it

I own Imperial Guard, and I was wondering a few things about pure chaos daemons lists:

1) How hordy are they? Will I have to buy tons of models?

2) Do they take a long time to play ( I find that -- for example -- playing Space Marines is a lot faster for me than playing Imperial Guard -- though, I have gotten faster at this -- however, even deployment takes a long time, due to organizing all of the different models).

3) Are they difficult to transport or fragile models?

4) Is Daemon animosity a thing? Would anyone care if you had multiple detatchemnts of daemons of different gods?

1.  Nothing but horde... without new models, they will be nothing but a horde.

2. Khorne is fast, because you kill stuff so fast and your stuff dies so fast.  Your first movement phase and charge/movement phases can be a bit long but after that it speeds up.

3.  Khorne has tons of spikey bits that can get annoying but they transport easy.  Bloodletters are fairly light and sturdy so they can get dropped without damage.

4. Just play what you want to play.  No one is likely to complain about multi god daemon armies when there is all this -1 to hit silliness around.  From my experience people like facing daemons because they get to shoot your horde and remove lots of models.  Although they might have less fun if you go with nurgle.

imo daemons can be very strong using multi god or mono if you like nurgle.  There are a lot of powerful tools at your disposal.  

Daemons have the numbers, the durability, the utility, daemon princes, and awsome relics.  If you can paint 90 bloodletters, plaguebearers, or daemonettes then you can have a strong list.  Keep in mind this is only a 1 time cost since you wont likely need more than 90 of any of these.  It took me about a 7 months to build up to 90 bloodletters.  

Also, if you build daemons for 40k you have a potential Sigmar army also.  

1) They are generally very hoardy, but if you want to start up slow, there is summoning. It's not usually a great strategy benefit, except with unique characters, but you can summon a unit of daemons back if they die for the same points it would cost to add another of that unit to your army. This means you can effectively field more units over the duration of a match than you actually have. While in most cases summoning isn't too beneficial in game, it can spare your wallet a little if you aren't playing too competitively or if you have a strategy to work it. You are probably better off if you just get the extra models from the start, but that's not always possible.

2) They are mostly melee based, so they need to get where they are going but once they do, things get real. Despite lacking transports, you do have speed options. Many daemons are very quick. Flesh Hounds of Khorne, Fiends of Slaanesh, Screamers of Tzeentch, and chariots. Pretty much Nurgle is the only one without great major speed options, though he still has options. You have a strategem to give anything deepstrike, so even slower units can hit the battlefield where they are needed.

3) Spiky bits are spiky, otherwise no complaints from me.

4) The gods are rivals, but occasionally play well together. Chaos is fickle and alliances are readily made and broken. That said, there is benefit to mono-god dettachments. Most daemons, Be'lakor being the only exception coming to mind, only buff daemons with the same god. So, your Great Unclean Ones won't buff your Bloodletters. Also, mono-god dettachments get a bonus aura on characters that buff daemons of the same god.

I would recommend starting with just a single god (the one you like the most).

When you get tired of painting the same colour scheme again and again, pick your next favourite god and repeat the process :wink:

Mixing them is no issue from a fluff perspektive. There are a lot of storys where the minions of different gods compete against each other in "who can wrack the most havoc" games.

Or they trick each other, like the Mask tricked Skarbrand to go Rampage on Biel Tan. Later Skarbrand allied with Fateweaver to figh Papa Smurf.

Edit:

Even most Daemon Armys are kind of horde armys you can also focus on the big guys.

2 GUOs, a Prince, 3x3 Nurglings and 7 Drones are about 1250 points. At this point level you opponent wqill struggle to kill both fat guys before they crush into his line, especially when there are Nurglings, Drones and a Prince in CC turn 1 or 2. Or leave the prince at home and play a Bilepiper and more Nurglings.

Same can be done with the other goods, since all 4 have access to Greater Daemons and more elite units like (Exalted) Flamers, Crushers, Seekers, Charriots and so on.

At some point you might want to field bigger blobs of you troop units, but there is no need to paint 90+ models to start an army.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived